Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Degree Everyman Ironman
Quote | Reply
Has anyone read Triathlete's latest issue and the Degree Everyman Ironman? I wasn't aware of the contest until I read the article. What a sweet deal! I only wish that I had that kind opportunity when training for my first IM. I had to schedule my training around a full time job, family activities, bad weather, and everything else that goes on. I wonder though...and I post this in hopes of getting others opionion. Does this give others who haven't done an Ironman the wrong impression. That one must take off for 6 mos to achieve this feat when 99.99% of first time IM participants don't have this luxury. In effect, is it scaring people from giving this goal a shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read about this sponsorship, but the approach seems absolutely stupid. Unless you are already very fit and proficient, taking six months off to focus on training seems like a receipe for injury rather than success. Is it a cliche that it takes five years to get in good enough shape to be able to train for an IM? I have been at it for four now, and I can say that for an old guy, that cliche is definitely true.
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me 3 years of training to get up to the point of being comfortable with taking on my first Ironman. Mentally and physically I just wasn't prepared to take it on. I guess it's a matter of personal preference...I didn't want to slog my way through the race...

I also question how realistic it is and why Tri mag put so much ink towards it....almost read like a Degree advertisement.
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, even if I could take six months off of work(let's unrealistically assume that they would hold my job for me) to train, I probably wouldn't. I am in my second year of training, and if I work out 15-20 hours per week, which is heavy for me, that's still only 3 hours a day(In re-reading this, I realize that I *might* be losing perspective). What do I do with myself for the other 21 hours? So let's assume that I am "Everyman", not someone who has been obsessed with training for a while. Am I going to be able to increase my fitness sufficiently in a couple of months to justify quitting to train full time? That's pretty doubtful.

Even an experienced Ironman racer would have a load of idle time on their hands once training was done(and assuming that they had to travel across the country to get to the camp, so that no friends or family is around).

It's an interesting gimmick, but not a realistic one at all, IMHO. I'd rather they just gave me a sweet gear setup and maybe sent me to a couple of clinics/camps(1 week or less). That is something that ANY triathlete would want, and something most of us could use.

As for your question, I don't know what it makes people think of trying for an Ironman, but I think that they are appealing to a very small group of people. How many people do you know(that are not triathletes already) think that quitting their lives to train until it hurts, then train some more, all leading up to the most grueling endurance event most people can think of, is a prize?

I can see it now: "Woo hoo! I won! Now if you don't mind, push the bone back into place, I have to run another 5 miles after lunch."

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the degree ironman was a very creative idea and was happy to see the sponsorship dollars coming to our sport. I've spoken to a few of the local degree athletes at a few races and they all have great stories to tell...these are not couch potatoes. Just to say thanks for their support I even switched to degree deoderant...it's quite nice.

Note: Why do we many of us complain about TV coverage/exposure and then when sponsors try and break into our market we bash them for stupid ideas? Can't have our cake and eat it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [pjl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong. I was intrigued with the promotion and contest and am happy to see different sponsors in the sport. I was questioning its approach and how realistic it was....I am all for sponsorship dollars but would rather see them promote the sport in a more realistic light Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Degree Everyman Ironman [pjl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't begrudge anyone wanting to sponsor triathlons, or wanting to make money. But as Brian says, make me a realistic offer. I can use money; I can use gear; I can even use a weekend or weeklong training camp. But I, and I'm guessing most, triathletes can't take six months off from their lives.

As far as people complaining about sponsors, for me it comes down to three issues:

1) I'm a curmudgeon, always have been. I've tried to change, but I just keep getting grumpier.
2) The only sponsors that bother me are the ones that either address triathletes as some known profile that they can address collectively, thereby appealing to a very small group of us(hence they alienate most of us, which creates the angst we feel) and the ones who are obviously only in it for their own corporate benefit, as opposed to a relationship which is good for both them and the sport.
3) I think that a lot of triathletes are lone wolf types(or else we might be doing team sports) and having a big sponsor with a big name is offputting. Being just like everyone else is not what we are looking for. Why else would so many excellent, accomplished triathletes eschew any and all Ironman events(as seen in other threads recently)?

That's my opinion anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply