Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Define the term: "poser"
Quote | Reply
Hey there---relative to another thread. Someone said that we should have a definition or to rework a definition of the word "poser."

My definition is someone who makes themself out as something they are not. They are "posing" or presenting themself in a way they want people to see them as, and not actually presenting their real self/personality/traits/beliefs/abilities etc.

I dont have a dictionary handy, but if someone does, is it in there?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Kensho [ In reply to ]
Re: Its 'poseur' not 'poser' [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly--thanks greg. I love dictionaries.

Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you saying that people who wear a full team kit are trying to make people believe they are something they are not? When I see a 50-something year old man wearing a full USPS kit, I don't think: this guy must be really fast or: this guy must think he is really fast. I just assume he/she is a big Lance fan. Do you really think that guy you saw wearing the polka-dot jersey on the American River bike trail was trying to prove what a great hill climber he was?? You yourself wear USPS bike shorts and you aren't exceptionally fast. Do you only see a difference when someone wears the entire kit w/ matching frame?

I must admit, while I have a Kelme jersey and shorts, I have only worn them together once. I just don't like to match that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally go by the rule that you shouldn't wear any team's road kit that you don't belong to. It just seems less poseurish. I know that most sports fans will disagree with me, but hey, they're only my own personal rules (that apply to me).

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean that when people come into work all excited because "WE" won last night, in reference to their favourite hockey/football/baseball/basketball team, you don't assume that they are part of the squad?

I usually ask them what position they play and how many minutes of gametime they saw :)
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I generally go by the rule that you shouldn't wear any team's road kit that you don't belong to.[/quote]

Does this mean you are saying someone shouldn't wear a football jersey for their favorite NFL team? What about wearing a NY Yankees ball cap? As an alumni, is it OK for me to wear a T-shirt with my former college's logo? But as soon as that t-shirt is a basketball jersey it transforms me into a poseur?

I believe people generally wear logoed sportswear to demonstrate their affection and loyalty for "their" team. Loyal fans are really the driving force for professional sports. I don't see anything poseur about it.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A poser to me is the guy with the spiderman ski suit, skis a foot longer than his height, who stays in the lodge and talks a mean story. If the same guy goes out on the bunny hill and is trying and having fun - great - he's showing you and everyone else exactly what he's got - not a poser.

As long as you're out there doing it - wear whatever you want.

I got a question for all? Would you wear a Hawaii Ironman shirt/hat/etc if you never did the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.02 ....

You shouldn't wear the gear unless you've done the race. Also, it is poor "t-shirt form" and a definite sign of a rookie if you wear your new race t-shirt on the day of that race.... 24 hours is acceptable :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see, I own a bunch of fancy bikes, all my clothes are new and I have a ton of sunglasses but I haven't rode in four weeks............. That would make me a poser!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can tell you is that in road cycling circles (and, yes, I realise this is a TRI forum), it is generally thought of as tacky.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents as well.

to me a poser is someone who misrepresents themselves... Talks a big game then eveytime you want to go ride / play / whatever they don't live up to their talk... or they don't go out with you at all
their shortcomings are usually this is chalked up to a bad day / equipment / workout / etc. I think that a person takes on the title of poseur when this happens consistently.

Clothes or equipment don't make you a poser, misrepresenting yourself makes you a poseur.

Be honest and humble and you will never become that which you loathe...
Quote Reply
Re: Define the term: "poser" [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote: "A poser to me is the guy with the spiderman ski suit, skis a foot longer than his height, who stays in the lodge and talks a mean story. If the same guy goes out on the bunny hill and is trying and having fun - great - he's showing you and everyone else exactly what he's got - not a poser.

As long as you're out there doing it - wear whatever you want.

I got a question for all? Would you wear a Hawaii Ironman shirt/hat/etc if you never did the race?"

First, if that guy was dressed as you say and on the bunny slopes, hes a dork. Why does he need that aero suit if hes going 1/2 mph before he crashes?

Second: "As long as you're out there doing it - wear whatever you want." Thats my thought exactly. I'm not telling you guys what not to wear, I'm telling you what i wont wear---and as you say as long im out there i can wear what i want, or not wear what i dont want. And what i want is to not wear a full team kit unless im just as fast as the guys on the team, or was once on the team. So for the guy who wears his alumni stuff around no problem in my mind, I wear my UC Davis Rowing stuff and my UC Davis cycling stuff----cause i was on those teams.

Third: I would never wear a shirt from a race unless i raced in at least part of it, volunteered it, directed it or sponsored it. You know why? If i wear a race shirt that says Hawaii Ironman Finisher 2001, everyone will ask me, "Did you race there, how was Hawaii in 2001, i was there too, how'd you do etc." Saying, "No, im just a big fan of triathlon." doesnt cut it to me.

Tom, youre not a poser, youre a cycling/triathlon enthusiast.

You guys are reacting like im attacking you or something, dont take it personal. I'm just expressing my views. Isnt that the point of a forum? If its not and im mistaken please fill me in on the exact reason this forum is here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thought on the poser definition ....

someone who is more concerned with how they look while at the event vs. how well they race
Quote Reply
The bunnyman Definition of a Posuer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bunnyman definition of a poseur is this:

a) Anyone who has a purpose-built race bike and never gives it a go, even once in the bike's lifetime. This would include the people who have a freeride mountain bike that they use on the bike path of the local park, and the bike is parked longer than to bring out the picnic basket.

b) One who tells all of the war stories, yet you couldn't have ever recalled seeing him at the races. All of the war stories are usually very vivd, almost soap opera-like. Usually, they get found out as others talk to each other (as the racing circles are nearly incestuous).

c) Talks about his/her PR (and it's a good one) and gets dropped at the first hill on every group ride (unless they have had some injury; i.e. collr bone, etc.).

I do not define one who wears full team kit as a poseur, unless they want to try and impress on you that they should be PAID to wear that team kit. I will call them a bit of a snob if their team kit matches their bike, but then, atleast everything matches. Now, if the person mentioned in the last sentence just rides around the block or the park bike path (and never race), then they deserve as much ridicule as can be poured upon them. And maybe a good ass whoopin'.

I also do not define a poseur as one who has the coolest bike, yet places consistently low in their racing. At least they get out onto that bike and go.

I would also call anyone who is a celebrity and calls themself a trithlete and only does one leg of a tri a poseur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck I don't even have a definition of a poser. I have never even given it a thought. I saw a couple yesterday on their cross bikes all decked out. I thought how cool they ride together, I hope they motivate others to try. I wish I were there, I can't wait to get home on my bike .
When I got home I put on my UPS stuff got on my 5200 and rode a great comfortable pace, a couple of times I even sprinted pretending I was Lance. Went to the bike shop and the owner said Hi Lance, I pointed out How lance calls me for fasion advice!!!! Stopped to talk to a school board member and she said what 's with the Postal service stuff, I said it's Lance Armstrongs team . She new of Lance and asked alot of questions about riding. I invited her to attend the free triathalon unit I teaching the month of Feb. at the fitness center.
The point "don't judge each other---just have fun" Oh forgot I cussed a car!!!!!!Great day of riding(cussing cars is my weak area---I'm trying to quit, Im on the 10 year plan)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From how on I'll try to use spell check!
Quote Reply
Re: The bunnyman Definition of a Posuer [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't give a complete definition, but here are a couple poser indicators. ..

1) Anyone who drives a sport-utility that does not either (a) live on a farm or (b) live in a tent or (c) live in a third-world country.

2) Anyone who rides their bike around Central Park in NYC.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: The bunnyman Definition of a Posuer [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>1) Anyone who drives a sport-utility that does not either (a)
>live on a farm or (b) live in a tent or (c) live in a third-world
>country.

What about d) lives in a snowy climate, e) likes to go camping f) likes to go hunting g) tows a boat h) likes to improve their odds of surviving an accident i) has a large family j, k, l, m,.....

This anti-SUV liberal clap-trap trend that is going on is irritating. Let some "ecologically correct" tiny car hit me in my Suburban and we'll see who is less likely to get hurt.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with jeremyb. I'm a lot more worried about looking like a dork than a "poseur", probably because no one would ever mistake me for a professional athlete. I might wear a St. Louis Cardinals shirt, but I wouldn't play a game of pickup softball dressed in a full Cardinals uniform including pants, leggings, etc.

BTW, the "don't wear the T-Shirt the same day" advice applies to ALL sports. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my personal opinion is this...

Someone who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk.

This can manifest itself in wearing finishing T-shirts for races you havn't done, (that i would never do). Full team gear is a sticky question, but i would never do that because it is (generally) misrepersenting yourself as something your not, and while you might be a fan, to go all out in postal clothing with the trek bike in matching colors just doesn't work for me, this holds especially true if that person doesn't really ride it. (it's just tacky). I do however disagree with Allens definition that "isomeone who is more concerned with how they look while at the event vs. how well they race" I personally am very concerned with how well i look coming down that finishers chute, you gotta do things in style!.

My .02

David
Quote Reply
Exactly! [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     Bill, you hit it on the head. People who wear NFL/NBA/MLB jerseys and are not playing the sport are fans. If, however, they are decked out in full uniform for a pickup football/basketball/softball game, they are major poseurs. The same holds true for cyclists. I would have no problem wearing one of those awesome wool Molteni or Cinzano jerseys as casual wear, but I would never dare to wear one on a ride.

(BTW, here is the link to the Molteni/Cinzano jerseys: www.velogear.com/merwooljerby.html. Way cool!)

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Re: Exactly! [Dave in WI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck, I can't even pull off being a poser. I live in Illinois, about 60 miles south of CHicago and if I wear a Team USPS shirt or hat, people ask me how long I've worked at the post office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of your world as having two spheres of ethics - or standards. One that is what you can stand in the world... expectations for other folks, and another that is about your expectations for yourself. This allows you to have such high standard as 'never whereing a teams jersey of which you are not a member' for yourself - but allows the rest of the world to do as they want. It releases you of the urge and the weight of judgemental feelings and behaivior. You can use those things to better your self image if you want... but life is much better when you let the little things go.

my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Re: Exactly! [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My definition of a poser is someone with a great sense of humor. There is this old guy who owns a Lance/TDF Trek replica. He wears his yellow jersey whenever he cruises out to pick up a six pack. Doesn't quite have the same impact when I do it on my TCR or old 12 sp.
Quote Reply

Prev Next