Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice
Quote | Reply
Hi STers....
Contemplating my first IM towards the end of next year but because of work etc I need to put some serious planning in now in relation to training etc.
I will likely manage 13-16 hours of quality training each week in the 6 months leading into things but have the opportunity to have a complete 2 week break from work etc that I can dedicate to IM specific training during the lead up.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first time IM athlete as to whether a large volume block of training over 2 weeks is likely to be beneficial? If so, how far out from race day would you place this block and what would you aim for during this 2 weeks?
I am not aiming to KQ but aiming to be easily sub 11 hours and if, based on 70.3 times with fudge factors, I should be capable of low 10 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't overtrain.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Don't overtrain.

I hear you on that one. I am aiming for a long slow build to this one, aiming to hit the start line injury free and firing! I have had too many injuries from doing too much too soon before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems you have speed already and your weakness should be endurance.
I would do an early (at least 4 months) endurance training bloc with focus on long slow bike rides. No high intensities during this time to avoid sickness afterwards. Stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I would do an early (at least 4 months) endurance training bloc with focus on long slow bike rides. No high intensities during this time to avoid sickness afterwards. Stay healthy.

Thanks for that. Agreed, endurance will need to be a focus. Currently topped out at 130km rides for my most recent HIM and the ability that gave me to hammer the bike and run well off it was great. But am preparing myself mentally for some long days out on the bike. When you say 4 months-you mean 4 months out from race day to finish the bloc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much experience here (1 IM), but I would rather plan a few long days (simulate the length of an IM day but with longer breaks in between, 1 hr swim, 1 hour break, 5 hour bike ride, 1 hour break, 2 hour run), and if you have a week for training I would make them bike heavy. Being based in Europe I would fill it with a bike focused trip to Lanzarote or Mallorca for example. So either 1 week off to focus on biking, and several days to do long days and some days with long bike rides, or 2 seperate weeks off both with a bike focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need more info:

How many 70.3 races in the last few years and what were the times (*hilly or flat)?

How many hours of training to achieve those times?

What is your limiter?

Can the two weeks be taken anytime during the 6 month training block?

(*i had to very carefully plan my entire year thanks to my job and I imagine you will have similar issues...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really depends on what will be within that 2 week block and how much % increase from normal training it will be. No less than 4 weeks from race day, too much stress on the system. If you do it too early without enough fitness you'll get sick.

However, if you are training right for the 6 months than doing a 2 week block may break your Ironman. Who knows, I think you are over thinking this process. Back to an earlier comment, just don't burn yourself out. Id personaly take those 2 weeks and train somewhat more than normal and just chill out more between sessions.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dale, we are in similar situations work wise (just different specialties), hence the need to plan super early!!
Only 2 70.3 in the last 18 months, 5:12 down to 4:43 (flat, IM on same course).
5:12 based off minimal training (<12 week block as had a large open water swim event leading into it).
4:43 based off solid 16 week training with decent base prior. Easy weeks in the 9-11 hour range, peaking at 15 hours a week in the month or so leading into things.
Limiter is running. A few too many injuries hence load management crucial.
Two weeks can be taken anytime in the 6 months leading into things. Have to be based from home though to balance family life, but still gives plenty of time each day for training. Just not sure this is the best way to do things or I have the option of taking a day a week of leave for 10 weeks and having three days a week where I can get decent volume in rather easily.

dtoce wrote:
Need more info:

How many 70.3 races in the last few years and what were the times (*hilly or flat)?

How many hours of training to achieve those times?

What is your limiter?

Can the two weeks be taken anytime during the 6 month training block?

(*i had to very carefully plan my entire year thanks to my job and I imagine you will have similar issues...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

That's what I would suggest as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
Thanks Dale, we are in similar situations work wise (just different specialties), hence the need to plan super early!!
Only 2 70.3 in the last 18 months, 5:12 down to 4:43 (flat, IM on same course).
5:12 based off minimal training (<12 week block as had a large open water swim event leading into it).
4:43 based off solid 16 week training with decent base prior. Easy weeks in the 9-11 hour range, peaking at 15 hours a week in the month or so leading into things.
Limiter is running. A few too many injuries hence load management crucial.
Two weeks can be taken anytime in the 6 months leading into things. Have to be based from home though to balance family life, but still gives plenty of time each day for training. Just not sure this is the best way to do things or I have the option of taking a day a week of leave for 10 weeks and having three days a week where I can get decent volume in rather easily.

Wow-you are a FOF! Nice job with those 70.3's. (*A little piece of me wants to ask your age group, but I'll be nice...)

Run limitations are frequent when jumping to IM and worse when it's already the limiter for HIM. Run fitness takes years and tons of miles. The more mileage you can handle going into the 6 months of 'dedicated' training, the better. I came from a running background and a 3:15 M PR, and spat out PW's of 4:32 and 4:28 at IMLP (2012/2016) because I did not put the volume in-a mistake that I will not make again the next time I race IM. (Although I bought some time doing only 70.3 races this year). Since I'm going to Spain for ITU LC, a 3/4 IM distance race, I am working the R volume again. I am certain the reason that I was down to the IM shuffle at the end was mostly due to volume of run training. Yes, weather, hydration, cramps all played a part, but volume was the main reason for me, as it is for many.

You will need to periodize the 6 month block, with race specific training and longer bikes holding aero/race pace for significant time, but the most important thing will be to get the R volume up and add in tempo (HIM pace) segments/progressive runs, multiple 60-90 minute runs as well as doing the LR. Gotta be able to withstand the jarring of 3.5-4 hrs that running an IM marathon entails.

I'd even think about making that first 6-8 week block continue with R specific training: ie do 2x 90 minute medLR's with lots of doubles to rapidly build a base and build the LR to 2 hrs early on.

edited to add: I'd use the 2 weeks to jump start bike volume. Do a big bike week early on-6x over that week (and keep running, just slow that week). I usually do a 10-12 hr bike week in April/May (a la Endurance Nation) and then repeat it in late May/June. You'd be surprised at what you can do on the bike without getting injured. This year, I did 1.5hrs(multiple repeat minutes)/1.5 (Alpe at SS!)/1 (30 min race)/off/2 (Alpe again) with extended cooldown/2 (multiple short sessions at SS)/3hrs EZ=11 hrs. (*you can check my strava 4/8-4/14)

This year, I took quite a number of Friday's off or 1/2 days. I cover the hosptial on Thursday until 1, but 'usually' have the afternoon off, so this frequently game me-Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun to do a lot of training. I strategically added in 1/2 days on some Mondays and have 'recovery' weeks when I was working my usual 50+ hrs/week.

That's my 0.02. GL!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2684012
Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 27, 18 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated IM specific training bloc advice [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dale-explain FOF?? Not a TLA I know about!!
Was a big PB this year for my 70.3s which was great. Running has come along so well so I am really confident I can continue to make great gains in the 12 months leading into things. My coach has a strong running background and is great in that we can macro plan together with things I want to try along with his key things I have to always do. Age group wise-born in 1975....but very new to endurance events.
What are your race plans for 2019?? And something I did want to ask you.....should I get a calcium score done??!! My wife wants me to get one done with all this endurance training and then a friend was trying to convince me a CT coronary angio is better. No risk factors (family or personal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention below that you have a coach. Sync with his recommendations or you may find yourself with mixed signals on the run up to race day. Never a good thing to get sidetracked on race prep as both of you end up second guessing each other on training and racing strategy.

Take your two week block starting six weeks before the race. Max your runs at 18 miles. Otherwise you're breaking down muscle and will run out time to fully recover by race day. Max your swim and bike workouts to 2.4M/3.8K and 112M/180K respectively plus or minus 10%. Do bricks: both bike/run and swim/bike. Do "Weekend IM's" where you cover the race distance in workouts over Fri/Sat/Sun. Since you're off from work, you'll have the flexibility to do distances over any 3-day block. Keep doing weights for endurance IF you lifted 2-3 times a week during your six month base build. Also, you can increase your workouts in Week 5 (out from race day) up to 10% over Week 6 (out from race day). Recover 4 weeks out from race day. Weeks 3 & 2 from race day should be tapering distance and picking up speed pacing. One week out is do only enough to keep loose, hope the time passes quickly, and build a hunger to race.

You have a solid foundation from your Half-fulls. You already know how to race. Although it's twice as far and you'll be in new territory, you can get awesome prep with a 16 week training schedule. The race starts when the horn sounds but the real racing starts at mile 80 on the bike with the mental tenacity challenge lasting through the marathon. Good luck. To hear the famous words at the finish line, makes all the training worth it!

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactical-learning
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/today-s-tip-tomorrow-s-workout

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m40-44? Nice! Those were some of my best running years.

I do agree with djmsbr in that you and your coach must be on the same page.

FOF=fast old fart. (*to me)

Yes, I advise many of my patients to consider a calcium score. Cheap, useful anatomical info about whether ‘the disease’ has started or is likely. Even when the cost is likely not covered-more important for those with a family history of premature CAD though.

Edited to add: I have only 2 races on the schedule-
ITU LC WC May-Spain;
IM 70.3 WC Sept-France.

First time to Europe for my wife and I.
Last edited by: dtoce: Dec 27, 18 18:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:

I will likely manage 13-16 hours of quality training each week in the 6 months leading into things but have the opportunity to have a complete 2 week break from work etc that I can dedicate to IM specific training during the lead up.

If you are in shape you need a 6-8-12 week specific IM focus, not 6mo.

pbnz wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first time IM athlete as to whether a large volume block of training over 2 weeks is likely to be beneficial? If so, how far out from race day would you place this block and what would you aim for during this 2 weeks?

how far out? start it around 8 weeks out finish it about 6 weeks out. What I might do if it were me is do 1 week at 10 weeks out, then another at 6 weeks out and both of those weeks would be ~ 200+% of my weekly biking volume and ~ 150% of my swim volume. I'd keep the running about 75-80% of normal volume.

2 weeks is a looooong time for an age group athlete training 13h/wk to maintain a 80-120% increase in training duration.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man you could do TONS with that block of time, and smartly to avoid injury and maximize adaptations.
You just have to be careful to not do something like 16 hours to 30... and not all high intensity days on end. Definitely a good time to get the 100 mile rides in and long run work.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply