Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary?
Quote | Reply
I am fairly new to triathlon - 3 seasons - and 36 years old. What I find interesting about the sport is the challenge of improving in several disciplines at the same time. But, at times, it seems like progress in one discipline is inhibited by the need to train in all three plus strength training (which helps at my age). Has anyone out there ever considered or attempted to dedicate a season to one discipline? In my particular case it would be running.

I was considering working on my running for most of next season with the normal (increased) rest or downtime associated with single-sport training. I would use cycling and swimming as cross training. I presume that I would still be able to do a couple of tris but would stick mostly to Oly and Sprint and do only road races later in the season - 15K, 1/2M - peaking for a marathon in the fall.

Is this a prudent approach to improving my running for triathlon or would I be a better triathlete by continuing to train in all three sports? Has anyone done this in the past? Since I am in the mid-Atlantic, I also have the potential for running all year. Should I, or can I, do tri during the season and then use the fall and winter months to dedicate to running? Any input would be helpful.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be a great way. I don't think you need to dedicate a whole season to one sport. Maybe block off a 4-6 month time frame and focus on running. Increase volume and increase speed, but probably not a the same time. I'm not sure how much volume you are putting in, but for me I know when I have 5-8 weeks of 40-50 miles weeks I run much better than when I only run 30 or so. Check out Daniels Running Formula. I run with a guy who followed it for 48 weeks and went from a 2:39 to a 2:28 marathon.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What could it hurt? Unless you make your living off of race performances, how could it be anything other than a neat experience, with a potential payoff to boot.

Might give you time to do other enjoyable things besides swim bike run eat sleep.

If you want to take a truly long range outlook - no matter how you treat your racing experience you'll end up the same way anyhow eventually, namely - room temperature. So what could it hurt?

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might give you time to do other enjoyable things besides swim bike run eat sleep ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This entire thought came to my mind when evaluating a recent training schedule for an upcoming 15K. The training called for running 4 times per week, rest one day, strength/cross one day, and cross the other. And one of the running days is speed work on a track that amounts to no more than 3 miles. Similar programs also for 1/2M and M. I was thinking, the whole thing amounts to 5-7 hours/week and sometimes less. There is only one workout per week that is over 90 minutes. What in the world would I do with all my time.

The main point I got from the training schedule was the need for rest, etc. to truley train for such a race. And, if that was the best way to train, was I hurting my running progress by all the other training getting in the way of recovery (running recovery that is).

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm taking the year off tri's to just run. Part of the reasoning is that I had a new baby last fall, and launched a new business in January this year.

But, in the bigger scheme of things -- I learned last year that I have top 5-10% AG "swim plus bike" skills, but I'm running at the 50% mark. I managed to close the gap between "open" run times and tri run times. But, even my open run times will not get me into the top 10% finishing group in a tri. In three races last year, I came off the bike in the top 10% of my AG, and faded on the run to the 25-30% mark (despite running within a couple of minutes of open run times).

So, I'm working to get my open run times down into a competitive range (38-39 for 10K; 1:35-39 1/2 marathon; 3:20-30 marathon). Those are my running goals, and I'm following a year-long progression to try and get there. I hope to then translate those into better tri finishes in 2004.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is basically what I do in the winter. I don't swim for several months and I do only limited biking. I have considered dedicating an entire season to running in an attempt to qualify for Boston (which I think I could do if I applied myself). As you said I would still do some biking as cross training.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is also what I'm planning to do during the off season. My last tri is Vineman (late August) and then I'm going to train for the California Intl marathon (early December) with minimal swimming cycling in the plan (mostly for recovery work). Then some time off for the holidays and back into an IM plan in January for CaliforniaMan IM next May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about this as well. What I have done is to block off various times in a yr to dedicate to various aspects that need to improve. So a run block of say 2 months in the winter building from 3 runs to 5/6 a week, bike and swim go into maintenance from 3 down to 1 a week) This seems to work really well for me, but my focus is IM distance racing not Oly where the run leg is as much a function of bike fitness and smart racing then logging mega run miles, especially if you are new to the sport. Also running a lot of miles and a lot of high intensity running in IM training is in my own experience counter productive ( I am a muscular ex rugby player and find I get better bang aerobically from riding)

Quote | Reply
In my experience, training for one discipline while ignoring the others (or using them as cross-training) does not help my triathlon performance. It helps that one discipline while I'm concentrating solely on it, but I'm slower overall when I return to triathlon.

I would suggest training in all three disciplines while putting an emphasis on your weakest. That way you won't lose too much fitness in the other two, you'll improve your weak link, and you'll avoid overuse injuries that can more easily occur if you train for one discipline. This may sound similar to a "one sport/cross-training" schedule, but it's different in that you'll still think and train like a triathlete.

PNF once said something that I think makes a lot of sense: Triathlon is not three sports put together; it's one sport with three disciplines.

To put it succinctly, it doesn't matter how fast you can run an open 10k, you're going to have a slow triathlon 10k if you're worn out from the 40k bike.

Of course, if you want to take a year off of triathlon to concentrate on running, that's fine. Just don't expect to have faster triathlon times when you return.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the winter, I also stop swimming for a couple of months and put the road bike up. I will do some mountain biking or cyclecross, but mainly I just run and do some strength training. I think the winter is the best time to step up the running miles or do something different. The previous comment about triathlon being one sport really hits the mark. If you don't have a certain level of swimming or biking endurance you will not be able to run as well as you can for open road races. For me, the key to improving the run for triathlon is to get in a good deal of bike mileage and make sure I have a decent swimming base.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicate Season to One Discipline? Smart? Unnecessary? [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all of you for the sound advice.

It seems to make sense to take a break from tri and concentrate on a single sport if you want to take a break from tri for a season, which is not the intent. It might be someday, but not now. My intent is to become faster at triathlon (the one sport kind that Bru mentions). I know of many accomplished open-race runners who don't run that well off the bike, for example.

I think the prudent approach here would be to concentrate training efforts in a single area while still following a tri schedule - especially with the inherent cross training benefits of multi-sport. It just has been difficult to increase running mileage while continuing to make gains in the pool and on the bike.

I might wait until after this season and work out a program through the winter dedicated to running with all the rest called for in various training programs. Then pick back up with a full boat of tri training in February/March. Thanks again.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this at the end of last season. I finished my last triathlon Sept 14th and then did only run training with swim/bike as my cross-training in preparation for the Seattle Marathon (12/1) and then continued to focus on running until January.

I started to up the ante in my Master's swim workouts and found the times dropping for both my run and swim very well.

I did a sprint Tri early in April this year as a "test" race and I PR'd my 5K time (faster than my open time from last season) and came out of the swim in the top 5 (without being beaten up).

I'd definitely recommend taking some time to focus on one sport during the off-season. Don't forget the other two though (they get lonely).
Quote Reply