Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Death of Long and Low Geometry
Quote | Reply
There's been a convergence in the bike industry to Trek's middle of the road geometry. I can't say I blame the industry for moving towards that direction, but I believe the trend is preventing us from achieving faster, more aero positions.

My position, which doesn't seem extreme by any means, cannot be replicated on a single super bike due to the lack of reach, excess stack, and lack of extension tilt.

My only option for a faster frame is picking up a used P4, which is still a bit of compromise with the rear braking and wheel with limitations.

How do you guys feel about bike geometry? What would you like to see in the future?
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 22, 14 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Felt DA series appears to be long and low. Is that an option for you?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
The Felt DA series appears to be long and low. Is that an option for you?

jaretj

I don't consider the Felt DA series a superbike based on it's drag numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a sz 51 NP2/3 I'd have to use a 160mm stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
size way down and use a really long stem?

worked for Crowie

(in the same position OP, the Slice RS maybe?)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: leegoocrap: Oct 22, 14 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 54 P2 with a slammed -25* stem and was able to move to a Shiv TT (L) with no issues. Probably could have gone with a Medium as well, but the Pad Reach for the L was bang-on my number (495). I use the forward SP, but the bike can get pretty damn long with the rear SP (although it may close your hip angle).

But I hear ya.....Long & Low is definitely phasing out in regards to bike selection. I don't see me getting rid of my Shiv TT anytime soon as a result (well that and the fact that it is pretty damn slippery!!) My LTS keeps trying to get me to go to a Shiv Tri, but there is no way I could ride one. Either I can't get low enough or I would need a stoopid long stem. I have no interest in riding a 130mm stem on a tri bike.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious...can we add some pad stack and reach numbers to this conversation? i.e. what are the horizontal and vertical distance from the bb to your arm pads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, maybe I missed something. Is there good drag data for the newer felt da somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
Wait, maybe I missed something. Is there good drag data for the newer felt da somewhere?
^^^This. When did the DA "fall out" of the superbike category????

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Marginally faster than a Shiv which is ~ Old P3 at low yaw.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 22, 14 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Giant Trinity Advanced is pretty long and low.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
The Giant Trinity Advanced is pretty long and low.

Not a super bike either, has similar performance to an old p3.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 22, 14 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it is getting harder to find. Im almost 6'4" with a 32" inseam. I ended up on a speed concept 9 series with the extensions as low as possible in order to get moderately aggressive.

Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
[Felt DA]Marginally faster than a Shiv which is ~ Old P3 at low yaw.

I thought it was Transition ~ P3C. It's safe to assume SHIV > Transition.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Oct 22, 14 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the newest SC gives some good long-low options...

Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the OP, have you tested this position? I note that your chest is almost downsloping, and you are possibly showing more back to the wind than necessary. Steve hed used to say he aimed for a chest angle close to about 5 degrees above horizontal and that a flat chest was too low usually.

so, you may be too low.

second, your body type is likely an outlier. I mean, you have an adjustable stem on what is one of the longest/lowest bikes.

Third, I think faster bikes than your alloy p3 but close in geometry are the shiv tt, felt da, or qr cd.01. Or you can sit around waiting for another swing in geometry trends which may never come...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info. Where is that data from?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed a few things in your position which lead to the requirement of super long and low (Trek's older OCLV frames were notoriously long and low 56 TT + 51ST c-c, but not super bike today).

1. Long torso,
2. shorter legs,
3. sit very much forward,
4. humped back.

Re 1 and 2, we are all built a bit differently, nothing one can do. Re 3, have you tried sliding back a bit? Your hip angle is amply open. Re 4, this may be less aero than a flat back. In other words, your elbows may get a bit higher without becoming less aero.

Of course this is all speculation from looking at a single picture. Purely for your reference.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamaican wrote:
Nick B wrote:
[Felt DA]Marginally faster than a Shiv which is ~ Old P3 at low yaw.

I thought it was Transition ~ P3C. It's safe to assume SHIV > Transition.

The data suggests Transition ~ Shiv at the most common yaw angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
To the OP, have you tested this position?

I'm sure he did. I remember seeing Wind Tunnel pics at some point.

#stalker

Last edited by: Jamaican: Oct 22, 14 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
To the OP, have you tested this position? I note that your chest is almost downsloping, and you are possibly showing more back to the wind than necessary. Steve hed used to say he aimed for a chest angle close to about 5 degrees above horizontal and that a flat chest was too low usually.

so, you may be too low.

second, your body type is likely an outlier. I mean, you have an adjustable stem on what is one of the longest/lowest bikes.

Third, I think faster bikes than your alloy p3 but close in geometry are the shiv tt, felt da, or qr cd.01. Or you can sit around waiting for another swing in geometry trends which may never come...

The position was optimized during a wind tunnel session without an aero front wheel and a much less aero frame with a CdA of 0.257 w/ tare. Looking at some files from races my current CdA is 0.235-0.240 with full gear. Switching to a faster frame will drop me to ~0.225.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
threefire wrote:
I noticed a few things in your position which lead to the requirement of super long and low (Trek's older OCLV frames were notoriously long and low 56 TT + 51ST c-c, but not super bike today).

1. Long torso,
2. shorter legs,
3. sit very much forward,
4. humped back.

Re 1 and 2, we are all built a bit differently, nothing one can do. Re 3, have you tried sliding back a bit? Your hip angle is amply open. Re 4, this may be less aero than a flat back. In other words, your elbows may get a bit higher without becoming less aero.

Of course this is all speculation from looking at a single picture. Purely for your reference.

My power really suffers if I close the hip angle anymore.
Last edited by: Nick B: Oct 22, 14 10:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that bike is too small/short for him.

if he had a bigger size he'd be less egg-shaped and more able to disappear behind shrugged shoulders/head

so basically, I agree with you

Runless wrote:

so, you may be too low.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next