Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deal of the Day: De Soto Toe Warmers
Quote | Reply
i got the same email this morning many or most of you did. 40% off toe covers. the code is TOECOVER%40

just to let you know how spectacularly stupid i was, as i began my manufacturing career, the year was 1987, and i recognized on our about october that - shit - i was in big trouble, because wetsuit sales were seasonal. and i had a factory, with mouths to feed. what do do?

i did not invent this design. there was an apparel company already making this: kucharik. however, they used sort of a nasty overlock stitch and i thought we could do this much more elegantly. so, we made a pattern, glued & blindstitched the seam, and off we went.

i don't think this design had any real benefit over a zigzag stitch, and i don't know that gluing it added anything much, but either a zigzag or a blindstitch will do the trick, much better than that overlock. of course de soto is a wetsuit maker as well, and after i left QR i spent 2 years in non-compete jail and then approached emilio about making wetsuits. i felt a 2-piece design would be better for a lot of people and T1 wetsuits was born. it's still the wetsuit i'm in more than i'm in anything else. but when you have those machines, you can make toe warmers.

i bought 2 pairs this morning, they cost me $29 with shipping, and unless you live and ride in belize or tahiti you will at some point in the year be very glad you have these.

oh, and that's how we survived at QR those first couple of winters. full shoe covers and toe warmers. unless you live in nome or moscow (either moscow) the toe warmers will probably do you fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 26, 21 7:55
Quote Reply