Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3?
Quote | Reply
While I love my T1, I guess I am glad I didn't order a Water Rover. I read in the race guide today that there was a 5mm limit. Hope I misunderstood for those that bought them. I thought through all the discussion I read on here there was no limit.

Team Zoot So Cal
Last edited by: Karl: Feb 8, 10 18:50
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it USAT sanctioned? If so, then it is BS...
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just re-read it. Swim rule #7. Wetsuits must be 5mm thick or less.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure this will be an interesting thread for tomorrow morning. I hope the race director doesn't decide Disc wheels are unfair or for that matter any wetsuit over $300.

Seems to be arbitrary rule specific to one innovator... I hope people write the race director and protest arbitrary rules.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is "how do they enforce the rule". I have no issue with a 5 mm (or less rule) as long as it can be enforced. How do you enforce if a suit is 5mm, 6 mm, 8 mm? Is there a USAT marshall at check in with a set of calipers measuring all the suits at the thickest point. If this is the case, that's great. Or you are only allowed to wear suits with a pre-cleared 5mm thickness certification that comes from USAT before you buy? But who is to say that the athlete did no doctor the suit after purchase and added an extra triangular "crotch patch" that is 15mm thick to generate a pull buoy effect (I'd say that this falls into the flotation device category anyway and would risk using that clause to DQ the athlete as it is not an integral part of the suit)....anyway, should be a good discussion tomorrow. If nothing else, knowing the temps advertised for Oceanside, the Water Rover would be a good warmth option!
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have a problem with the rule. I just was surprised by it.
I would hide the label that says Ware Rover if I had one.
I just thought it was a big discussion on ST if there was a limit. Based on that, I thin k some chose to buy the Water Rover.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sports seem to be in two camps, either you respect the rules completely (golf) or you take a if you're not caught you didn't cheat attitude (nascar). Tri is stuck in the middle with drafting homemade fairings etc. I'd much prefer Tri to go towards the golf side of things.

As far as enforcement 99% of the cases are pretty easy with wetsuits.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This in my opinion is the end of the Water Rover. I bought one, with doubts and now I regret it--it's disallowed over in Germany, Australia and other places--now at Ocenaside--my A race for the year.

I'd like to know if Emilo is going to give us our money back or not.

I like the wetsuit--would have liked to race in it. I suppose i would like EPO too. Bad business to sell illegal stuff though. I don't draft and i don't want to be part of something that's illegal in the Tri-world. If we buy this product do we have to risk being labelled as cheaters. that not what I signed up for. Please take it back--I want to go fast but I want to play fair!

Am I missing something here?

What say you Emilo?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Last edited by: rcmioga: Feb 8, 10 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is too funny

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 1st gen T1 and love it. I have nothing but respect for Emilio, get business plan support and products. That said I wouldn't buy a Water Rover unless I had a back up. Many non US federations have a 5mm regulation, some US races run under international regs have a 5 mm regulation. According to Desoto they were told it wouldn't be outlawed by USAT, but USATdoesn't have the best track record with rules, regulations, or one hand knowing what tghe other is doing. Not to mention that an individual race director can do what they want, to a point. I don't think you can blame Desoto, they were completely upfront about the situation.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The question is "how do they enforce the rule". /reply]

When there is a big ass water rover logo on it, shouldn't be too hard...
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[conspiracy theory]I wouldn't put it past another wetsuit vendor to slip a few g's in the RD's pocket to set that rule up[/conspiracy theory]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are missing a lot.

You bought a water rover knowing that there was a chance that it would be disallowed and now you're complaining b/c it's no longer allowed?

LMAO. In fact it was stated on here and a few retailers websites that it was not legal outside of the US.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LMAO. In fact it was stated on here and a few retailers websites that it was not legal outside of the US.

Sounds to me like the fact that it won't be allowed at the "Rhoto" CA 70.3 (I guess they couldn't find a new sponsor with a better name) - a race inside the US and his "A" race - is the straw that broke the camel's back. I didn't pay attention, was it mentioned that it wouldn't be allowed at some US-based 70.3 races?

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I bought one, with doubts..."

I think you are just trolling if you really consider to get your money back.

Just in case you were not, you made a poor purchasing decision, since there was ample discussion about this issue on the forum and in the end there was nothing more than "he says, they say". With "he" being the seller and "them" supposedly being USAT.

So who did you think would dictate the rules when it comes to international uniformity in competition rules (All international 70.3 say 5mm),

allmighty national USAT or tiny international WTC?

Anyway, I don't think that they will enforce that rule, even if you don't cover up the label.

DeSoto has a lot of pull in SD. Plus he can easily take the RD in an arm-wrestling contest.... that should take care of it.

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Feb 8, 10 23:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really glad I didn't buy one. In fact, I was holding out, I really wanted one, but I was waiting for exactly this before making up my mind.

damn....I was really looking forward to PRing all my swims withought doing any swim training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because there is no limit as a base rule for USAT, doesn't mean a race can't get a specific exemption on a wetsuit issue (Kona) or allow/disallow other accessories (neoprene socks). Having witnessed what went down with FINA this year, it is to be expected that triathlon will start governing more closely the use of uber floatatious wetsuits, swim skins, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This in my opinion is the end of the Water Rover. I bought one, with doubts and now I regret it--it's disallowed over in Germany, Australia and other places--now at Ocenaside--my A race for the year.

I'd like to know if Emilo is going to give us our money back or not.

I like the wetsuit--would have liked to race in it. I suppose i would like EPO too. Bad business to sell illegal stuff though. I don't draft and i don't want to be part of something that's illegal in the Tri-world. If we buy this product do we have to risk being labelled as cheaters. that not what I signed up for. Please take it back--I want to go fast but I want to play fair!

Am I missing something here?

What say you Emilo?
Emilio in the past said the suit would not be legal at many non-USA races. Why would he give you your money back? On threads here he stated that they had not included a money-back guarantee, although at the same time he also said he was confident that the suit would be legal. I did not buy a Water Rover, because I thought it would be outlawed.

Race independent races instead.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the race is USAT with some exceptions. Now, this would mean USAT would have to have agreed to allow them to force a 5mm thickness rule. If true, Emilio must be real upset. Since I thought a few wetsuits already
had some places over 5mm, how would the rule be enforced? Seems like a few that run these events make no sense. If they really cared about the swim leg, why have they not gotten an exception from USAT to lower the water temp where they are legal? Am looking forward to Emilio's comment on this.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope WTC makes that a rule for all their races as a 5mm limit seems to have worked fine and we really ought to keep wetsuits from becoming safety vests with sails attached. Obviously if 10mm is OK, next we'll see 15-20mm. It seems that there is room for lots of innovation in wetsuits yet without going the whale blubber route.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do some have such an issue with wetsuit technology, but not with bike technology?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The question is "how do they enforce the rule". I have no issue with a 5 mm (or less rule) as long as it can be enforced. How do you enforce if a suit is 5mm, 6 mm, 8 mm? Is there a USAT marshall at check in with a set of calipers measuring all the suits at the thickest point. If this is the case, that's great. Or you are only allowed to wear suits with a pre-cleared 5mm thickness certification that comes from USAT before you buy? But who is to say that the athlete did no doctor the suit after purchase and added an extra triangular "crotch patch" that is 15mm thick to generate a pull buoy effect (I'd say that this falls into the flotation device category anyway and would risk using that clause to DQ the athlete as it is not an integral part of the suit)....anyway, should be a good discussion tomorrow. If nothing else, knowing the temps advertised for Oceanside, the Water Rover would be a good warmth option!

Well, if they see you rocking the water rover they are probably going to come over with their calipers and pop you with a penalty or dq....might want to rub those graphics off those suits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised that Emilio has not jumped in the thread yet...I am sure he has made a phonecall to confirm this..would be nice to hear from him on this
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was posted late last night, and it's only 7:10AM Emilio's time. I'm sure he's on it. Sheesh, have some patience! I'm interested in this too.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, forgot about that....
Quote Reply

Prev Next