Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DeSotto wetsuit motivation
Quote | Reply
Dan,

It seems you are very pro T1 and influence a lot of triathletes here on your web site. But after working in financial markets I have come used to complete disclosure laws. I have recently come to understand you have a partial ownership in DeSotto? Is this true, I just think the majority of the forum should have a clear understanding of where you are coming from in you reviews?

Thanks,

BB
Quote Reply
Re: DeSotto wetsuit motivation [boomboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he has a financial interest. After all, he did design the thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always thought Dan had an interest, probably financial, in the development of the T-1 suit.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you trolling?

I don't think this was ever hidden. i don't know Dan, or the guy who owns Desotto, but I knew this from simply reading both websites. I don't think there was any INTENT to keep this under the table.

burns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe Dan has ever made it a secret that he has financial interest in the T1... but, I'll be the first to say he has never denied access to this sight for those who find fault with the T1 wetsuit (I being one of those). Dan has been fair when it comes to wetsuit discussions. I don't believe he has footnoted in every response that he has a financial interest in the T1. However, it's not that important. This NG has a wide range of experienced individuals whom have different opinions about many tri-gear products. And, Dan has always let legit arguments (for or against) any product be posted and debated. (...with one exception that I can remember - and (if my memory is correct), he regretted (to some degree) censoring that post)

So, if you're insinuating a failure to "disclosure fault" in any opinion Dan may have... well, maybe so... but, he owns the sight. I am a guest of his... not the other way around.

Hopefully, this thread will make that more clear... but, that's up to Dan to what extent he open up his disclosure. It still doesn't omit the fact that this NG is in general a fair and open minded group of people with various opinions. Which (in and of itself) tends to override the disclosure problem you seem to allude to.

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, if you want to see some not so pro T1 comments... search the sight and add my name Joe Moya in the search. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four things:

1. Even as a rare poster, I have always thought that Dan had at least some "interest" in DeSoto . I think it's fairly clear if you spend more than 5 minutes on the site. Whether that interest is financial, personal, or otherwise, it's there. Maybe it's an appreciation for the product. Maybe he likes the graphics. I would think that, given how long he's been in the industry, he would have some "interest" (non-financial) in lots of different companies.

2. If so, so what? I have noted that he is extremely above-board when it comes to such disclosures, to the point that he recuses himself from reviews or otherwise makes it known if the thinks he has a serious conflict of interest.

3. With your vast experience in the financial markets, you seem to have missed the fact that "complete disclosure laws," from which I assume you mean public disclosure, only apply to publicly traded companies, and not to private companies except in circumstances that do not apply here. "Complete disclosure" for private companies would certainly not apply in this context. Even if the companies were public, I also see no reason for "complete disclosure" here for the issues that you raise.

4. What's your point? Bias on the website? Bias in reviews? I'm a pretty critical SOB and found nothing in the reviews that I would describe as overly pollyanna. I don't know Dan, but from his writing, he seems to have a low BS factor.
Last edited by: Jake: May 21, 03 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, here is an umbiased, anecdotal review. I am 65 years old, never a competitive swimmer, breathe only on the right side(can't learn bilateral), can't do a flip turn and have only started masters swim classes in January where I am the WORST kicker in the class(most are finished the whole drill before I finish kicking). That being said, I had the 35 fastest swim in the Louisiana Triathlon at New Roads only because I was in a T=Dos wetsuit. When I stroked, I felt like I was in a kayak with a paddle. I've never gone so fast. Besides that, Emilio DeSoto and his service rock.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a quote from the T1 review on slowtwitch:

(by Mark Montgomery 7.17.01) The publisher of this site having a non-objective relationship with T1, he asked me––as the first pro ever to test a Quintana Roo wetsuit (the company this publisher founded)––to test and write about the T1. Best to start with a little history.

I'm certainly no lawyer, but "non-objective relationship" tells me all that I need to know. Kudos to Dan for being upfront and honest.

sweet
Quote Reply