Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live???
Quote | Reply
Going thru the same crisis here, thinking about where I would relocate if could really do it. still need to check out austin, and I really like arizona. give me others ideas, I abosultly HATE the cold so avoid anywhere where it's cold (i know, i know, I AM canadian!)

It's part of my plan this year, to travel to check out places.
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottsdale, AZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southern Ontario is a pretty good place to live!

Cottage country and clean lakes, forests for trail riding and clean air.

Moderate weather (Not nearly as much snow as Northern Ontario!)

I love Canada!

Canadian Triathlete.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you! It would be nice if the cost of living was a little lower as well. I was thinking about Hawaii, but it's a bit expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anywhere but California. It's awful here. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd throw Boulder, CO and San Diego, CA onto your short list too.

You are after all, a triathlete.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in California? Is the cost of living lower in the northern part of the state?
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [thebadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not bad if you get out of the resort areas. There are a lot of fairly inexpensive rural areas.

Quote | Reply
South Florida....if you don't mind the heat in summer...
but nothing beats the water in the Keys and the warm summer nights, being out on a boat...
I love it down here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shocked South Jersey hasn't been mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [thebadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure there is a cheap part anymore. Even in the armpit of the state (where I live) basic houses are $200/per squre foot. Closer to $400/SF or more in the nicer coastal areas.

Quote | Reply
How about Clovis, NM

Quote | Reply
Hood River Oregon. World class windsurfing, kite surfing, kayaking, year round skiing (on the glacier of Mt Hood), stunning scenery and oh some pretty nice cycling. They even have a pro race up there in the summer...and it is less than an hour from Portland.
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hood River seems a little cold still. As does Boulder, CO
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny! I'm in Hood River right now for business and was wondering what it would be like to live here. It's absolutely beautiful, but it does get a little chilly. It seems to rain through the fall and winter. The community is VERY outdoorsey and there are two nice bike shops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As does Boulder, CO

It's freezing! Brrrrr... I've had to ride my trainer like 10 times this winter!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good ideas. can't do california, can't get licensed there not florida unless they changed the rules!!! anywhere in canada is TOO cold for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mougins, Saint-Paul de Vence, Grasse, arriere-pays Cannois

Luberon:

Roquesteron (there, you're on the Nice course...at least the original one)

Cote d'Azur, looking south

looking north

Pedestrian streets in Saint-Paul de Vence:

Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder stays remarkably warm (relatively speaking) in the winter, compared to what you or I would think/assume, based on it being in CO and all....

I have a buddy who lives there, he can ride outside pretty much 95% of the time if he wanted to.

See attached - a bit chilly at nite, but the daytime highs are quite pleasant.

Point Forecast: Boulder, CO
40.02N -105.25W (Elev. 5356 ft) Last Update: 4:00 am MST March 15, 2006 Today

Mostly
Sunny
Hi 54°F Tonight

Mostly
Clear
Lo 22°F Thursday

Mostly
Sunny
Hi 48°F Thursday
Night

Partly
Cloudy
Lo 26°F Friday

Partly
Cloudy
Hi 59°F Friday
Night

Partly
Cloudy
Lo 28°F Saturday

Slight Chc
Rain
Hi 52°F Saturday
Night

Slight Chc
Snow/Rain
Lo 30°F Sunday

Chance
Snow/Rain
Hi 42°F

<< can't do california, can't get licensed >>

And this stops the other millions of illegal aliens HOW?? :-)

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Mar 15, 06 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with Francois. Visited the Cote d'azur quite a few times on vacation and have made it into the back country on occasion. IMO, It really doesn't get any better then that....maybe that's why I decided to do IMF-N this summer :-) And you speak french too right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this will seem counter to what is normally said about it, but Atlanta is pretty great. Not in the city proper, but somewhere in Cobb county like Marietta where I live. Low taxes, moderate weather, lots of trail running (the national park for Kennesaw Mountain/Cheatam hill connects to my neighborhood), plenty of high paying jobs, cheap flights to just about anywhere, a fair number of local rides for flat stuff, rolling hills if you want them, and then 3 gap/6 gap a couple hours away for times when you want to go pound out serious mountain mileage. I was trail running in shorts and a tshirt in February, which was awesome. But unlike Florida we actually get all 4 seasons, so you get some nice variation to life.

It's not very exotic, but it sure is a nice place to live. And right now with spring coming in and the dogwoods getting ready to bloom it's gorgeous. The biggest downsides are traffic and a lack of a strong tri community here. We have a tri community but it's nothing like San Diego, Boulder or Austin. And my own lament, that there are not nearly enough cute tri girls in the area. But other than that it's great.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
compared to what you or I would think/assume, based on it being in CO and all...

Yeah, and the climate where I live is pretty similar to boulder, especially since I live about 15 miles down the road. :)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois....

Those places look o.k. I might consider them, I guess......

One question though...they got an Applebees there? How about a TGIF? We've got to be able to get something decent to eat, or fuggedaboutit.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks too beautiful to be real. What does housing cost?

Re: Daydreaming... where IS the best place to live??? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Funny! I'm in Hood River right now for business and was wondering what it would be like to live here. It's absolutely beautiful, but it does get a little chilly. It seems to rain through the fall and winter. The community is VERY outdoorsey and there are two nice bike shops.[/reply]

Well I wish I was there with you having a cup of espresso at the Hood River Hotel. I will be up there for two weeks this summer trying to kill myself out on the river. It really comes alive in the summer. Check out the Full Sail brew pub as well...nice view of the river.
Quote Reply

Prev Next