Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy
Quote | Reply
I recently did a series of interviews with triathlon legend Dave Scott and in this one he shows us his 1980 trophy from the world champs even before it was held on Kona, talks about his family's sporting successes, tells us about his heart problems, and where he'd love to race if he could now.

You'll see how nice of a guy he is - just as we are thinking the call is over he shows us the trophy and is happy to talk more.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Last edited by: Patterson: May 9, 21 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, good seeing my old friend and racemate still with the fire. Ya, and it is too bad that most of us have heart issued in our golden years, but kind of the trade off for drilling it for so many years in our youth.

Guarantee you that if you get in the pool with him, it would not be an easy day though, heart issue or not. Not a bad dye job on the noggin too, they can be tricky and looks like rugs if done too dark. I love the old trophy too, missing pieces and glue blown up after 42 years!

I would like to know about his current diet and his thoughts. I know he did a complete 180 from his racing days of no fat, to the full on Keto awhile ago. Wonder if that is still his thought for high performance diets.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thanks for that, good seeing my old friend and racemate still with the fire. Ya, and it is too bad that most of us have heart issued in our golden years, but kind of the trade off for drilling it for so many years in our youth.

Guarantee you that if you get in the pool with him, it would not be an easy day though, heart issue or not. Not a bad dye job on the noggin too, they can be tricky and looks like rugs if done too dark. I love the old trophy too, missing pieces and glue blown up after 42 years!

I would like to know about his current diet and his thoughts. I know he did a complete 180 from his racing days of no fat, to the full on Keto awhile ago. Wonder if that is still his thought for high performance diets.

Wow, cool if you raced with him in the past.

Yep, he's full keto now, and says he'll stay that way. We asked him about it and here's his answer:

https://youtu.be/yhBYH2_R8XI

Speaking of swimming, he has some opinions, despite saying his form is like a "loose chainsaw":

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing that interview with the MAN. Maybe a takeaway on this.... limit the long?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of swimming, he has some opinions, despite saying his form is like a "loose chainsaw": //

Another great vid, thanks!! And he is being modest in his swimming abilities. Yes he only went 50+ on his best days(mine was 50;17 one of those days I believe), but that was on the old course. The 48 times he refers to now, are all on a 220meter shorter course than we used to swim, so basically our old 50+'s would be 48's today. Dave was an avid puller too, just built up a ton of strength for OW and could diesel all day long....

And the technique that is bantered around about Lucy, seems to neglect what she is doing underwater. Yes she has a high stroke rate, like most OW swimmers do, but she has gotten really good at spinning it, much like the old Janet Evans style that set so many world records that stood for decades. My only problem with Lucy was her breathing pattern, every 4th stroke is not the way to optimize O2 during such a long, hard race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Speaking of swimming, he has some opinions, despite saying his form is like a "loose chainsaw": //

Another great vid, thanks!! And he is being modest in his swimming abilities. Yes he only went 50+ on his best days(mine was 50;17 one of those days I believe), but that was on the old course. The 48 times he refers to now, are all on a 220meter shorter course than we used to swim, so basically our old 50+'s would be 48's today. Dave was an avid puller too, just built up a ton of strength for OW and could diesel all day long....

And the technique that is bantered around about Lucy, seems to neglect what she is doing underwater. Yes she has a high stroke rate, like most OW swimmers do, but she has gotten really good at spinning it, much like the old Janet Evans style that set so many world records that stood for decades. My only problem with Lucy was her breathing pattern, every 4th stroke is not the way to optimize O2 during such a long, hard race...

Did I hear him criticizing Ledecky’s stroke too?

Opinions are exactly that.
We all are an experiment of one.
Neither of them would be above the rest by doing what one ‘should’ do.

Legions of examples where promising talent was ‘re-educated’ and disappeared into the large pool of average.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I hear him criticizing Ledecky’s stroke too?//

Well to be fair, he basically said no ones stroke is perfect, and he is right. It may be the last .3% you have to go, but everyone can improve something. But you are right in that it is his opinion, I have a different one on the things he critiqued about her. Not perfect, but closer than any other woman who races now, or ever actually..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
‘Done is better then perfect’
(Scott Allen)
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
monty wrote:

Did I hear him criticizing Ledecky’s stroke too?

Opinions are exactly that.
We all are an experiment of one.
Neither of them would be above the rest by doing what one ‘should’ do.

Legions of examples where promising talent was ‘re-educated’ and disappeared into the large pool of average.

Yes, he criticizes lots of people, but I look at them more as observations that must have merit - he's happy to take criticism too and also talks about his bad swim and run forms. He's certainly doing it objectively and not from a negative place, as I see it.

On that note, he talks about Lionel's unique running form and even Sam Long's here...:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
‘Done is better then perfect’
(Scott Allen)
:-)

"Art is never finished, only abandoned"
Leonardo DaVinci

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Thanks for doing that interview with the MAN. Maybe a takeaway on this.... limit the long?

researched afib in some detail after mine started, and I've never heard of that in any of my reading - that long workouts at low heart rates encourage afib, but high heart rate intervals are protective against afib.
Most of my training has been exactly the high heart rate stuff, in the twenty-some years since having kids, and it didn't help..

I think it's more the endurance exercise addiction, the daily workouts over decades, than simply going long..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres only a handful that know how to win Kona. Words of wisdom from The Man himself. I really enjoy listening to Dave he has done it all and has a calmness about him that you don't see in many elite athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearup wrote:
Theres only a handful that know how to win Kona. Words of wisdom from The Man himself. I really enjoy listening to Dave he has done it all and has a calmness about him that you don't see in many elite athletes.

Agree with you totally about the calmness. He's so open and willing to talk; and just overall friendly.

The discussion we had was an hour long and it ended up resulting in 14 videos!

Topics like:
Nutrition
Diversity (or lack of it) in tri
Injuries (he broke his femur in Jan)
Alternative race formats, PTO, SLT, Challenge, etc
Ironman's brand erosion and what makes a good brand
Depression after all his wins
Advice he'd give his former self
His most painful race experience ever
More

They're all here: https://ironmanhacks.com/interviews/dave-scott/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patterson wrote:
Gearup wrote:

Agree with you totally about the calmness. He's so open and willing to talk; and just overall friendly.

The discussion we had was an hour long and it ended up resulting in 14 videos!

Topics like:
Nutrition
Diversity (or lack of it) in tri
Injuries (he broke his femur in Jan)
Alternative race formats, PTO, SLT, Challenge, etc
Ironman's brand erosion and what makes a good brand
Depression after all his wins
Advice he'd give his former self
His most painful race experience ever
More
They're all here: https://ironmanhacks.com/interviews/dave-scott/
Good on Dave for mentioning other countries in the diversity discussion because you,like so many other American and Canadian media outlets , continue to say "In our sport" (which means the entire sport around the world) instead of triathlon in the USA or Canada. To say that "The sport of triathlon isn't diverse" and suggest that there are limited high end coaches from non-white backgrounds "In our sport" is just flat out wrong. Please, please, please can triathlon social and mainstream media in the USA and Canada please recognize that what happens in the sport of triathlon in the USA or Canada does not reflect what happens in the rest of the world.Make the effort to notice that difference.

Macca.for example started MX Endurance and he is half Maori.
About Us · MX Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearup wrote:

And what I like, beyond his obvious knowledge and experience, is that he actually speaks as a normal educated human - none of the 'yo yo brutha how yah hangin' bullshit speak of a number of current pros. A real pleasure to listen to him rather than the grating irksome stuff from that some current pros put out (and that I turn off).

Thanks for the interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

Good on Dave for mentioning other countries in the diversity discussion because you,like so many other American and Canadian media outlets , continue to say "In our sport" (which means the entire sport around the world) instead of triathlon in the USA or Canada. To say that "The sport of triathlon isn't diverse" and suggest that there are limited high end coaches from non-white backgrounds "In our sport" is just flat out wrong. Please, please, please can triathlon social and mainstream media in the USA and Canada please recognize that what happens in the sport of triathlon in the USA or Canada does not reflect what happens in the rest of the world.Make the effort to notice that difference.

About Us · MX Endurance

I've thought about this a whole lot. I've heard and read discussions about tri being so white (presumably in N. America, as you state) and my initial reaction was like yours, I believe: "No it's not, it's full of diversity."

I live in SE Asia (though I'm American) and I see thousands of Asian triathletes at all the international races. Of course I do, I'm in Asia.

But I still see a massive amount of white people like me; vastly disproportionate to the populations here. The majority of the podiums are white guys. A huge number of coaches are white.

Basically, it's a white sport, even here.

For example, in the recent duathlon my kids did here in Singapore, there were only 2 Asians in the top 12 finishers. And only 16 in the top 50. (I just counted.)

I don't think it's necessarily a problem; I'm just observing the facts (I think).

I do think it's an issue in other places though, where certain demographics get overlooked.

Related, if you look at the video I did with Dan Empfield - he asks about if there's an expat circuit around the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzmRilXIFw&t=1365s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having raced in SE Asia starting in the 1980s I agree with the comment about expats dominating races. I attribute this to the still developing sports cultures. When I started triathlon in Singapore in 1986 it was rare to see local competitors over age 35. It was not part of the culture. Most adults did not play sports or even do any exercising. In another generation I think local athletes will dominate the races because their parents were athletes.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's going to be a pretty rich thread when someone goes ahead and posts it, regarding the diversity of the sport around the globe, especially in the older age group athletes.

And as far as the Dave interviews, thanks for getting access and asking THOSE types of questions, I am esp. looking forward to the one where he gives himself advice.

Finally, as to the "yo-yo-bro" factor, it's probably a generational thing. I'm betting, giving the context, that our current crop of pros, of all ages, are as comfortable and as capable of speaking "plain English" as were the elderstatesfolks. Rewind many us old fogies and we were likely as guilty of speaking weirdly back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Finally, I'd like to find a famous, female, ex-pro, of Dave's pedigree who would be willing to answer those same sorts of questions. Lots to be learned and relearned there as well.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have followed Dave for 40 years and exchange emails (him giving advice) fairly often.
A quick summary of my impressions of the Man.
Helpful, open, honest(and blunt) or to the point, exceptional sense of humor (subjective), friendly.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patterson wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

About Us · MX Endurance

I've thought about this a whole lot. I've heard and read discussions about tri being so white (presumably in N. America, as you state) and my initial reaction was like yours, I believe: "No it's not, it's full of diversity."

I live in SE Asia (though I'm American) and I see thousands of Asian triathletes at all the international races. Of course I do, I'm in Asia.

But I still see a massive amount of white people like me; vastly disproportionate to the populations here. The majority of the podiums are white guys. A huge number of coaches are white.

Basically, it's a white sport, even here.

For example, in the recent duathlon my kids did here in Singapore, there were only 2 Asians in the top 12 finishers. And only 16 in the top 50. (I just counted.)

I don't think it's necessarily a problem; I'm just observing the facts (I think).

I do think it's an issue in other places though, where certain demographics get overlooked.

Related, if you look at the video I did with Dan Empfield - he asks about if there's an expat circuit around the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzmRilXIFw&t=1365s

How on earth can you possibly say it is a "white sport" purely based on the top 5% of the fields of races..How many of the 5,500 athletes at Challenge Taiwan were white? How many of the total number of athletes out of the 2,000 at the Navy Warrior Series in Thailand were white,I could go on and on and on listing events and series all over Asia.

How many members of the Asian Triathlon Confederation are white? Have you ever hung out with the ITU crowd in Asia? How about the coaches and staff of each if the Asian Confederation nations?Ever been to the SEA Games and watched the triathlon?The cost and location of some events makes them dominated by expats (like Laguna Phuket Tri and the races on Bintan) but that is changing as the culture of sport in Asia in general changes.

You see thousands of Asians at races but still say it is a white sport. That just doesn't make sense. The top 5% or even 10% does not represent "The sport of triathlon".
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: May 12, 21 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Scott's 1980 world champs trophy [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep you're right, I pretty much agree with you.

I'm sure you agree that there's a disproportionately high percentage of white triathletes in Asia, too.

Anyway, not a big deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well said.
Quote Reply