Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:39? 'Routinely?'

I dont remember seeing that. TJ Tollakson, maybe Steve Larsen. But not many more.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Murphy'sLaw [ In reply to ]
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [billwaltondd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billwaltondd wrote:
4:39? 'Routinely?'

I dont remember seeing that. TJ Tollakson, maybe Steve Larsen. But not many more.

OK, perhaps I overstated that a bit - but, there have been more than a few Pros to go that fast at LP over the years.
Others: Ben Hoffman x2, Maik Twelsiek x2, Josh Beck went 4:40, Pottsie 4:42.
LP generally doesn't draw many of the 'A-List' Pros.

I concede your point. To a point...

But even if you just modify that original statement to "20+ minutes faster", then that pretty much covers all the decent Pros who've raced well at LP.
And a top AG rider being "20+ minutes" slower than Pros - on the bike - is not unheard of.

(What makes those guys Pros is, they also swim and run at a Pro level too. Anybody can be good at 1 discipline, especially if they have a strong background in a similar sport. And it would be silly not to capitalize on that ability on raceday, to the extent you wisely can.)

Back on topic - DM needs to get his run sorted out.
Until he does, he will be squandering his bike abilities.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt. A great bike is useless without a run to back it up. And for sure thats what makes the pro (and great age grouper) splits so amazing. I bet Dave will make another solid run at this, obviously a little older and wiser! I am rooting for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
said by everyone who ever went harder than they should have, it was my nutrition, salt, this new product I tried, nup, just your not as good as you think you are
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST the only place in the tri world where people get excited about someone doing an 11 hour IM, with a 4:30 run going on about how he's going to KQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
ST the only place in the tri world where people get excited about someone doing an 11 hour IM, with a 4:30 run going on about how he's going to KQ

Yep, splits mean nothing, its the finish time, but boy do some get excited about bike splits.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, Dave isn't just a former BMX rider, he also was part of a four man team that won the Race Across America last year in the team division. So he is a serious endurance cyclist as well. So putting down a time like that is not necessarily a direct indication that he over biked.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [txags92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
correct, his marathon time tells us that he overbiked
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Stevie G wrote:

Yep, splits mean nothing, its the finish time, but boy do some get excited about bike splits.

Splits mean everything. Hard to go sub 10 on a 6hr ride. What is your IM bike split? Right, you're a shot biker so bike splits mean nothing. Makes sense!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point is your bike, run and swim need to be executed in the context of each other. Dave Mirra is not a sub 10 guy no matter how you try to cut it, right now anyway.

If he eased back that bike some he runs faster and has an over all faster time, but he probably still goes plus 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great guy and had the chance to talk to him at the oval. Very cool to have him on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
The point is your bike, run and swim need to be executed in the context of each other. Dave Mirra is not a sub 10 guy no matter how you try to cut it, right now anyway.

If he eased back that bike some he runs faster and has an over all faster time, but he probably still goes plus 10.

Yes, they all combine to the finish time. But the splits certainly matter. People that say they don't are simple ignorant of how racing works. Now, there is no guarantee that a slower bike would've resulted in a faster overall time. What happens if his bike is 15min slower and run is 10min faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you veterans suspect he will take another stab at it? How long does it usually take to recover and then race (competitively) another Ironman?!?!
One has to assume he will make another aggressive run at this thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on his splits there is a 99.999% certainty that he would have been faster overall had he executed the bike better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wont be this year unless he goes to Muskoka, and at that point you've wrecked all hope of having even a decent day in Kona by doing 2 IMs within 5 weeks in the summer trying to KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muskoka Kona slots are for 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [eschmitt777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, yeah you are right, for some reason I thought that was the last qualifier this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it looks like the cat's outta the bag on Twitter so time to resurrect this thread. Two IM's in 3 weeks! It's certainly not the first time this has been done but I reckon few go this route and that's just why this makes sense for Dave! With the experience of IMLP and learning from the things that didn't work, his approach will be quite a bit different on the IMMT course. I wish the man my best and hope he has a good day out there.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
Well, it looks like the cat's outta the bag on Twitter so time to resurrect this thread. Two IM's in 3 weeks! It's certainly not the first time this has been done but I reckon few go this route and that's just why this makes sense for Dave! With the experience of IMLP and learning from the things that didn't work, his approach will be quite a bit different on the IMMT course. I wish the man my best and hope he has a good day out there.

Cheers,

when you run that slow (for him) the first ironman ends up being a nice rehearsal training day with support with minimal pounding to the run legs. He will be ready to rip it up this weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he is! Feels better going into this one than he did IMLP. That's a good sign!

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
And he is! Feels better going into this one than he did IMLP. That's a good sign!

Cheers,

You think he has a KQ in him this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Dave!!!!!

How long does it usually take to recover from an ironman? I guess the fitness is still there, so hopefully he has a good shot!!!!! (?)
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've learned you never bet against him. He is certainly capable. I subscribe to the slow learning curve of figuring out Ironman. He may just be able to figure this out on a steeper curve than I did.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply

Prev Next