Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you inferring that an 11 hour ironman on your first attempt is exceptional?

Mirra is a legend. At BMX. Within that sport, no, he is not normal. He seems exceptionally normal at triathlon though.

I asked you an honest question. No need to jump into the rabbit hole of personal attacks.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [billwaltondd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But yeah, he gotta run to qualify. That might take a few tries. Or never. I don't know and am not going to say. Especially since I am not in a position to judge.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Rolldown wrote:
It wasn't during the last two years, but not that long ago - when I was between the ages of 40-45 - I KQ'd four times, never swimming faster than 71 minutes. I follow the Murphy's Law school of racing: swim slow, bike fast, run faster.

You rang? Total Aversion in the hizzouse!! ;-)

I KQ'd with a 1:19 swim. M40-45.
But as my esteemed colleague so succinctly stated, you need to bike AND run really well if you want to pull that trick off.
It's definitely not the easy way. But it's a way.

...and Mirra has not shown that he can run. What he has shown (at least today, I was not following LP) is that headed out at the same pace as Rapp and Sanders. He was riding 2 kph faster than Sam Gyde at the first split. The first split already has some climbing to get out of Tremblant. So Mirra was way overbiking. Not sure exactly why he thought he needed to head out at the pace of Rapp. You don't need to ride that hard to Kona Q in 40-44 even with a 67 min swim. On top of that, he had a 6 min transition. Why take 2 extra minutes in transition and then over bike when you can just go 2 min faster in transition and then ride easier knowing that you just blew the run in LP and should conserve energy in Tremblant ?

Maybe DM has hired special guest coach Josh Beck, to learn how to crush dreams with a shitty swim AND glacially slow transitions?

Can't speak for Mr Mirra, but I know I felt like a bucket of smashed assholes 3 weeks after my first IMLP.
I had toyed w maybe doing Timberman, and was sooooo very glad I didn't.
Can't imagine trying to back up LP with MT 3 weeks later.
Not at all surprising that he decided to pack it in.

But as I stated prior, until and unless DM can bring a fast run off the bike to the party, he's going to be watching Kona on TV like the rest of us.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course I'm not referring to an 11hr IM first try. I did that and I'm far from exceptional.

I'be been around long enough to know you are fast. Guessing you keep fast company as well which sometimes clouds perspective. The guy has consistently gone mid 4's in 70.3 and qualified there. He has biked 25+mph and ran 7's off of that. If you don't think that is exceptional for triathlon then you are out of touch. He's a ways away from KQ'ing, but I certainly like his chances given his pedigree.

At this point I see absolutely zero reason to knock this guy unless one is feeling insecure about how much attention he is receiving. I deal in bluntness and truths on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Perhaps he was waiting for his HR to reach his desired effort for the ride? So felt he could hammer until it crept up to that 135 BPM goal.................

Thanks for this. That what I was tying to say earlier. I surely hope that isn't the way he does this.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [B Bartels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is Dave's best 70.3? Because he quit at Raliegh too. I would expect a KQ athlete to be able to turn a bad 70.3 into a good training day and not just take his bike and go home.

Don't get me wrong, I'm routing for him. He's going through the ropes. Putting in the time. I think some people are not seeing results with all the hype and sponsorship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly not knocking him. And I agree - I like his chances too. I just think his ego got in the way of reality. Which is fine. Happens to the best of us.

He needs more time. Simple as that. He has the resources to make it happen. He's just is gonna need more time. Which is essentially what anyone "knocking him" here is saying.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for seeing the sarcasm.

I'd surely hope not too.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 months is too much time? Jeepers. But I'm willing to flex on that.

I agree that his previous successes, his enthusiasm, and his confidence make it easy for some to root against him.

I also agree that he may not KQ. But I'm willing to bet that he does ...

Finally, I think that it's relatively normal for a 40-44M with a 67' swim to KQ. So we disagree on that one.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ... now I am stalking on-line...

He had awesome results in his 2014 season 70.3s

2014 70.3 Texas 4:23 with a 1:38 run
2014 70.3 Raleigh 4:37 with a 1:33 run
2014 70.3 WC 4:36 with a 1:38 run

building up to the distance takes time...
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
See Paul Devashish's last post for what Zoot gets out of it. It's crazy to me too. AND Dave. The man has a following. What Zoot and Cervelo are doing with him is just smart marketing.

And FWIW there's a lot of those green shoes on folks here locally.

Cheers,

I actually bought my particular type of Zoot shoes based on Bryancd's comments on one of these threads.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer: Aug 16, 15 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimmyRiccitello wrote:
12 months is too much time? Jeepers. But I'm willing to flex on that.

I agree that his previous successes, his enthusiasm, and his confidence make it easy for some to root against him.

I also agree that he may not KQ. But I'm willing to bet that he does ...

Finally, I think that it's relatively normal for a 40-44M with a 67' swim to KQ. So we disagree on that one.

I agree with that, Jimmy. I just don't think his run is even remotely close so it's academic.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just don't think his run is even remotely close so it's academic."

You may be correct, Bryan.

I haven't looked at his results too deeply, but it seems he'll have to run 3:30-3:40 and get lucky, or 3:20 to control his own destiny w/re to KQ.

Doable (in my opinion), but certainly not easy to do.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, Bryan and Brian are knocking him pretty hard. See post # 262 right above.

"Not even remotely close?" His results say otherwise. Anyone with his results would be given a good chance at KQ'ing unless you clearly don't like the guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
I don't know, Bryan and Brian are knocking him pretty hard. See post # 262 right above.

"Not even remotely close?" His results say otherwise. Anyone with his results would be given a good chance at KQ'ing unless you clearly don't like the guy.

Any what results are those? His 70.3's? A 140.6 is completely different than a 70.3. You can get away with a lot of things in a 70.3 that you can't in an IM (pacing, nutrition, etc). Just because someone puts up decent 70.3 times, doesn't mean they have what it takes to put it all together for a full IM.

I said it in an earlier post, but until he can run a 3:20-3:30 marathon, he's not kq'ing anytime soon. How he gets there, I'm not sure. But I would start with his bike pacing.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimmyRiccitello wrote:

I haven't looked at his results too deeply, but it seems he'll have to run 3:30-3:40 and get lucky, or 3:20 to control his own destiny w/re to KQ.

THIS. exactly this.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
JimmyRiccitello wrote:

THIS. exactly this.

Mirra needs a 67 min swim 5 hour bike 3:20 run to control his destiny in M40-44 these days.

Or he swims 62 min, bikes 4:50 and runs 3:35 and counts on a rolldown on a 2000m vertical course like Tremblant. That's how hard it is in 40-44 these days.

ML....the times that you and Rolldown qualified with back in 40-44 6-10 years ago, don't even get KQ in most races in 50-54 today. Those times get you a 55-59 KQ these days. It's nuts. More guys in the sport with decent genetics, work ethic, optimized training plans and race day execution. There may also be some age group doping here and there messing with the KQ slots, but that is another topic entirely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree he just needs more time. A good 6 months of "relatively easy higher mileage" running should get him there. I don't know the guy but his coach may have a hard time getting him to run "easy". Crack the whip!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of the criticism on this thread has to do with the challenging of Chromedome's spin on things. This is a very blunt place. People here don't like to be "sold". If Chromosome was a little less focused on puffing up his guy, thing might have gone differently.

That being said, what are Dave's open run times? We still have no clue on what he can really run. He might need Dev's 100 runs in 100 days challenge.

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree regarding his run needing to improve which may or may not be due to bike pacing. It could very well be him going 90% in the swim. No one is KQ'ing without being able to put up his 70.3 numbers. He is heading in the right direction and he is still raw in the swim, run, and nutrition. I think saying he is not even remotely close is a bit of an exaggeration. Comparing his swim to the "norm" qualifier is not a good standard either as his bike is clearly better than that same person. If his desire is there, I think his chances of KQ'ing in the next 24 months are great. Next 12 months, good, but it would take some good fortune.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. I just think it's fun to watch and if anyone else does feel free to chime in. Or not. Yeah, he's a friend of mine so I might be a little more vested but it's clear others want to follow this guy. You can't deny that (see Dev's post regarding hits to this thread).

Regarding his open run times the only one I can offer was a winter 10 mi he did a year or two ago. It was under 1:07 if I recall correctly. Greenville's Dash for Cash if you want to look it up. He hasn't been real interested in doing open run races.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:05:17 at Dash for Cash 10 mi race in 2012.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
He hasn't been real interested in doing open run races.

Well, that sort of the problem. One of the first bits of training advice I read after joining ST was to swim like a swimmer, bike like a biker and run like a runner. I imagine the KQ folks can hold their own with each of the three types of athletes.

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, 4th place M40-44 at LP this year was 10:03.

But he "needs a 9:27 + T-times" to control his destiny?
Sure, whatever you say.
The OA WINNER BARELY MANAGED THAT.
That would certainly be "controlling ones destiny." :-p

Maybe MT is faster/more competitive, but a 10-flat woulda been more than adequate for DM to control his destiny at LP this year.

And that's totally doable w a meh swim - IF you can run well off a fast bike split.
DM has not shown he can do that.
He'll need to be able to run < 1:30 on the reg in Halfs for starters.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Dev, 4th place M40-44 at LP this year was 10:03.

But he "needs a 9:27 + T-times" to control his destiny?
Sure, whatever you say.
The OA WINNER BARELY MANAGED THAT.
That would certainly be "controlling ones destiny." :-p

Maybe MT is faster/more competitive, but a 10-flat woulda been more than adequate for DM to control his destiny at LP this year.

And that's totally doable w a meh swim - IF you can run well off a fast bike split.
DM has not shown he can do that.
He'll need to be able to run < 1:30 on the reg in Halfs for starters.

Check out the finish times at Tremblant. Field was way more competitive than LP (look how close the top 10 are). The two courses always have similar times, unless LP was a big anomoly year this year
Quote Reply

Prev Next