Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler)
Quote | Reply
Think AC and Riis are playing tacticly with Froome. Regardless of what AC said, I do not think he would of taken the win today even if he could. Also would not be surprised if he held up a hair after the climb in the TT. They hit the top with the same time. AC is just not going to show his hand.
Personally, with Nibali and AC tacticlly better than Froome, I am looking at a TdF where Froome surrenders his crown.........
What you thinks???
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thinks (sic) your English teacher cried a lot.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confused by how he's playing it tactically? Froome destroyed the last 5km of the time trial and Contador was physically unable to match Froome today. Sure Contador didn't push the pace until the end, but it seems clear that Froome was in god mode today. Dude destroyed the pack and covered every single move people tried making. First time I've seen him do something where I gave a questioning "hmmm" while watching, but it's clear he felt he had something to prove with the Wiggins controversy.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contrador hung on to his wheel with every move. He never dropped him for a second. In the tt they ha the same time, within one second at the top of the climb. As great as Froome was today, it did not budge AC at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't have one past the early years.......what can I say. You are correct. I am not very educated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Contador was physically unable to match Froome today."

Whaaa? You're talking about stage 2, correct? The one where, you know, they finished together… with the same time?

Froome looked great today. Strike that, he never looks great, but he rode really, really well today. It definitely looked like he was out to prove something. Throughout the climb AC was marking him, nothing more. But towards the end AC really did look to be digging deep. I don't know if he could have pulled it out at the end. I'm guessing 'no'. But in the sense that he never really tried an attack I don't think AC was interested in gapping Froome. I can't wait to see these guys fight it out on something steep.

How about Porte. His ride is possibly more compelling from a Sky cat fight perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He really manages to both impress and scare me at the same time. Truly unique riding style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of think you're right on this. Not sure what there is to gain by showing his hand now, other than the obvious win. AC said he was going to take it easy through techincal parts of TT, so it appears as though he's close there.

Also looked like AC had no desire to chase down others who attacked, and was glad to leave it on Froome. What will be really interesting in TdF is when Froome is isolated and guys hit him from every direction--Nibali, Purito, Valverde, Talansky, TJ (if he can)-- and if AC plays it the same.

Like I've said before, if AC, Nibali, et all survive the first few stages, it will be a way different Tour than past two years.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I think AC and Nibali are tacticlly better. That with Nabali's attacking and Purito....think AC will look for the right counter..(Nibali too). I thin Froome will be in trouble
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I kind of think you're right on this. Not sure what there is to gain by showing his hand now, other than the obvious win.

the time bonus?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
I kind of think you're right on this. Not sure what there is to gain by showing his hand now, other than the obvious win.

the time bonus?

yeah, I've got to agree on this one. If Contador could have won, he would have. If nothing else other than to imply, "Is that all you've got? I thought you were going to try and go hard today."

I thought that Contador was playing defense to Froome.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contador looked a lot like I do when I try to go around a guy with my Cat6 sprint. With all the crap he got from Tinkov last year, I'd imagine he'd take the win if he could've.
http://www.youtube.com/...outu.be&t=12m46s
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was you for a minute, then realized storks don't live in PA.

That might very well be the case, hard to tell. AC looked like he thought about trying to come around Froome but couldn't get there or decided against the effort. But he didn't have much trouble following in what seemed to be an all-out go at the line. In the past Froome has gotten rid of everyone with those accelerations, so that's a good sign.

Talansky also looked good, especially not being an explosive climber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the delta between Froome and AC is quite close. Peaking one week too early could be all it takes! It was also good to see JVdB back at the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I watched ... Contador sat on Froome's wheel and drafted the whole way up saving energy for later in the race. He was able to match any acceleration Froome could throw at him and was the only one able to do so, many times not looking like he was digging too deep in the well.

In many ways, Contador doesn't want to win this race ... it's to fine tune his performance before the Tour, which is his ultimate goal. If Froome times his peak wrong, he could suffer big time in the 3rd week of the Tour.

I will say this about Froome and it's something I never, ever though I'd say ... He actually makes me root for the pompous ass that is Contador!!! Somebody in the Peloton I actually like less than Contador ... Never thought that would happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand... do people think Contador would choose not to sprint past Froome for the final 15-20 seconds if he could? Also, he matched Froome for the first move without looking like he was shelled, but Froome had him beat square in the last 500 meters: https://www.youtube.com/...?v=nRXcCOip7Dk#t=729

Contador hung on his wheel but almost got dropped, and was completely unable to match Froome's pace once he was in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The smart guys who are contending for the win in July, view this as a training opportunity. Nothing more.

So if a 100% effort to race Froome to the line isn't on the schedule, then...
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the smart guys would tell you that there will be no TDF relevant physiological consequence of him giving 10 seconds of sprint to take the win if he could.

I could be wrong, you should check with them.

rruff wrote:
The smart guys who are contending for the win in July, view this as a training opportunity. Nothing more.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless Contador had his 'bike racer's mentality' surgically removed, he would've taken the win if he could've taken the win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AC could care less about winning this race. He can handle good tactics and has a good head on his shoulders. Lance could not F@#k him up in 2009. As much as I do not like things about Riis, the guy is a great tactitian and Froome, some say is a bit of a head case. So Yes I can see AC not going around him, not showing that last 1% in this race.
I think its going to be a great tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

A Dauphine stage win isn't Goal A, you are right. That the race means nothing beyond a training opportunity is BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Dauphine, AC, Froome, Nibali (spoiler) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are currently training to peak in July. A 100% effort may very well not be advised right now. I've heard several pros say they always hold something back unless they need to win. Big difference between 99% and 100% IMO.

At any rate, even if Contador was going 100% it doesn't mean much at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm yeah it would be interesting to see in July. I've read they'll use this race to see what they need to work on by July so it would be fireworks all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched the final 5k finish, and what a great stage. Lots of fireworks, lots of guys pushing the pace. You saw it one way, other guy sees it completely different, etc., but I think if he could have gotten win, he would have. But either way, I don't think it mattered nor was there some mental edge gained either way. I hope the same fireworks show up in July.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next