Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dating triathlete
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone!
I am a single 46 yo triathlete ( +doctor) with three teenagers every other week. I do can make free time for dating but I dont really find anyone near who is interested in sports and free! Everytime seems to be in a relation. Tried little online dating but did not find any site that is more for people who train. Live in a quite small town where people are quite closed, not very social. ( in Sweden) I don't have any friends here either.( all are living in other countries)
Does anyone know a date site for triathletes or peolple who are more active? Or any tips I could use? Thank you :)
Last edited by: Trixi55: Jan 26, 23 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Trixi55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post needs pictures.......
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me translate Amnesia's response to plain English:

"Slowtwitch"

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trixi55 wrote:
Why?:)

It’s a joke done in a friendly and cheeky manner. And probably the Australian in me coming through.
It reads like a Tinder post but without pictures, you could have an army of slowtwitchers swiping left or right…😂.
I am a doctor as well, so I realize how difficult it must be with three kids and work and trying to date.
I have nothing to add in relation to what is out there to help find someone with similar values. Dating seems like a whole different ballgame to what it was when I met my long suffering wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread about a tri-specific dating app on here a couple of years ago, but I don't know if that app ever went anywhere?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...riathletes_P7460973/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Dating seems like a whole different ballgame to what it was when I met my long suffering wife.

If I were to become single - for whatever reason - I think my only option would be to ask my daughter "Do any of your friends have a mom who's available? An aunt would do, as well"

I can't imagine that would go over well LOL

Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice... Dont look for someone that does this sport. Find someone that lives a healthy lifestyle. I tried to date "Triathletes" for 18 year before I met my wife. She runs and does yoga. It's so nice having our own hobbies that we can support each other at. You dont want someone you are either half wheeling or trying to half wheel you.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
Dating seems like a whole different ballgame to what it was when I met my long suffering wife.

If I were to become single - for whatever reason - I think my only option would be to ask my daughter "Do any of your friends have a mom who's available? An aunt would do, as well"

I can't imagine that would go over well LOL

F’ing hilarious
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewynn wrote:
My advice... Dont look for someone that does this sport. Find someone that lives a healthy lifestyle. I tried to date "Triathletes" for 18 year before I met my wife. She runs and does yoga. It's so nice having our own hobbies that we can support each other at. You dont want someone you are either half wheeling or trying to half wheel you.

this is very good advice. you need that gap. and its hard to sync workouts unless you are compatible levels or you buy an airhub.
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned early on to never date anyone who did anything close to what I did

I was in a band, and was something of a songwriter [as much as a person who puts down words in a hardcore punk band could be considered a 'songwriter'] and started dating a girl who imagined herself a poet [or 'Poe-ette,' as I called her]

That ended very VERY badly

So, I decided to look at the things I do, things that are important to me, and made an effort not get involved with anyone who does those things - or worse, lets those things define her - lest it become competitive and ruin everything

YMMV

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to date into your 40's is digging through the dumpster of the dating world. It is not worth your time, effort, money or sanity. If they are not knocking down your door, let it go, they are not and will not ever be that interested in you, no matter how much you invest in the pursuit.

Don't chase. Replace (with pursuing your career, focus on your kids, develop your athletic potential).
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Ewynn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot recommend enough finding a significant other who is very, very closely aligned in mindset and habits of a performance sport lifestyle similar to one's own.

I met my wife at a triathlete party.

Our training time is synched (most of the time), so we're spending our free time together in most of the same places at the same times.
We do A LOT—nearly all—of our workouts together.

We buy two sets of everything. It makes things simple and equitable.

As far as in-house competition: her w/kg is pro cyclist level (I have to keep my ego in check when Zwifting), and her swim is way out FOP.

We do happy hours in the evenings knowing that we'll hold each other accountable and get each other out of bed the following morning pre-work training sessions.

The time and financial commitments will likely be less of an issue than if otherwise, and I'd go so far as to say allow for a long and happy marriage.

I am her biggest supporter and fan, and I think (hope!) that she'd say the same about me.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I was in a band, and was something of a songwriter [as much as a person who puts down words in a hardcore punk band could be considered a 'songwriter'] and started dating a girl who imagined herself a poet [or 'Poe-ette,' as I called her]

Derailing this (Slowtwitch style): What band(s)? Did you play the Khyber, Silk City, or the North Star?

Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was in the 80s, you would never heard of them

Bent Cement was one, Katz On Assid was another, others that never got as far as keeping a name for long

The Black Denims - we thought it would be clever to just put "TBD" on the flyers, and see who'd show up, expecting something special --- nope, just us, and we sucked

Played some gigs at UPenn, Drexel, Temple, plus Abe's Steaks; Dobbs & Khyber one time each

Toured on weekends up to Poughkeepsie [guitar player had a cousin or a girlfriend, possibly both, who had a pizza shop we'd go to once a month], down to DE, MD as far as V-Beach

There's a story about why I'm not allowed in Ohio, but that's for another day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a pretty entertaining FB group called IM singles. Not sure what you are looking for exactly but plenty of options out there.

Nothing beats meeting people in real life. Try joining a cycling, running or triathlon club.

And it seems as if you have been out of the "game" for a bit...do some research ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are all ages shows even a thing anymore?

RandMart wrote:
This was in the 80s, you would never heard of them

Bent Cement was one, Katz On Assid was another, others that never got as far as keeping a name for long

The Black Denims - we thought it would be clever to just put "TBD" on the flyers, and see who'd show up, expecting something special --- nope, just us, and we sucked

So you opened for the bands that opened for the bands that opened for the Dead Milkmen? :P ;-)

RandMart wrote:
Played some gigs at UPenn, Drexel, Temple, plus Abe's Steaks; Dobbs & Khyber one time each

Toured on weekends up to Poughkeepsie [guitar player had a cousin or a girlfriend, possibly both, who had a pizza shop we'd go to once a month], down to DE, MD as far as V-Beach

There's a story about why I'm not allowed in Ohio, but that's for another day
Brag-worthy story I'm sure.

Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 26, 23 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please link that site on FB? I can't find it. Thank you!🤗
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually been focusing on work, kids and triathlon pretty long time now. Kids are teenagers, I am a chef opthalmologist and had been to Kona several times best is 5th place. So actually longings after a partner to share the journey with. But the town is small and very unsocial.
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Nothing beats meeting people in real life. Try joining a cycling, running or triathlon club.

And it seems as if you have been out of the "game" for a bit...do some research ;-)

Or maybe OP could ask the teenagers if they have any friends with single parents? Just because it wouldn't work for me, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for them

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trixi55 wrote:
Hi Everyone!
...I dont really find anyone near who is interested in sports and free! ...

So you've been paying for them?

J/K...

Weren't there a couple of threads on Tri-Newbies and BeginnierTriathlete that would be educational about now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha..ok, not free bit singel 😀
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are all the proven, tried and tested tips you'll need.
I can't guarantee success with them, yet I can, almost, guarantee you'll have a pretty good time, until you don't.

You can thank me for doing the years of research and hard work for you.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7324996#p7324996

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 26, 23 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the last post but did enjoy and appreciate Brian's post and advice from his link

I feel like it's a miracle I'm still married after almost 26 years. I'm a handful and my husband is a saint. Lots of ups and downs but still many good times. Together we have done road bike racing in the 90s, marathons and all the training later in our early 40s and then full-on triathlons - fulls and half Ironmans in our late 40s, my husband hitting 50 yrs old. Now in our early to mid 50s, it's just me pursuing long course triathlons and I can say it's so much BETTER with just me doing all the training and racing. He is thrilled to be pursuing other hobbies and he is over the moon doing projects all around the house and on our property. While I'm on my bike trainer or on a long gravel bike ride on a Saturday, he is more than happy to play with his toys (tractor, chainsaw, welder, endless power tools. Sometimes he goes down to his buddy Jim's place and they play with their toys together lol). And it's nice when I get done with a long training session, he is more than willing to help out with food. I remember when we both got done with 5-7 hour training days on a Saturday afternoon, we could barely make ourselves a sandwich. Now I have someone to take care of me after the really tough training days and also at races. When we both did Ironmans, we didn't have a sherpa or any support. Now I have the best sherpa in the world. I know some of this is a bit selfish sounding but just being honest.

My simple advice is to find a nice person who shares your values. Someone kind, someone you are attracted to. Someone who shares your sense of humor. Someone to share the mundane as well as the exciting times in life. I wouldn't make being an athlete or triathlete a requirement. Brian is right. It will be fun until it's not when dating another triathlete.

ETA: forgot to mention that traveling with two bike cases overseas or across the country was such a drag when we both did full and half Ironmans together. Travel is now much easier and simpler with one bike case.

ETA: another one :-) And I would lie if I said we didn't bicker once in a while or get cross with each other on mile 80 or 90 of a 100 plus mile bike ride.
'

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jan 26, 23 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Dating triathlete [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,not where????? I do not explicitly want a traithlate but I just can't find anyone here in this small city, I do not have friends here neither family apart from my teenagers. I just want a nice partner whatever he does but it seems like impossible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next