Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Data: Swift vs Garmin Edge
Quote | Reply
This is my first year using a smart trainer (Tacx Flux S) and today, just for fun, I ran my Edge simultaneously with a swift ride. I understand why Swift would post higher speeds, but seeing that both Swift and the Edge were relying on the smart trainer for data, what would explain the distance difference? Swift: 12.92 miles; Edge: 11.21. Power was spot on.

Not losing sleep over it. Just geeking out on data.
Quote Reply
Re: Data: Swift vs Garmin Edge [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Porfirio wrote:
This is my first year using a smart trainer (Tacx Flux S) and today, just for fun, I ran my Edge simultaneously with a swift ride. I understand why Swift would post higher speeds, but seeing that both Swift and the Edge were relying on the smart trainer for data, what would explain the distance difference? Swift: 12.92 miles; Edge: 11.21. Power was spot on.

Not losing sleep over it. Just geeking out on data.

Zwift calculates speed based on a host of factors. Zwift isn't sending that speed through the smart trainer to your GPS. The GPS is likely getting that from the smart trainer. How the smart trainer alone determines speed doesn't necessarily correlate to how Zwift calculates it.

That's my theory. Maybe wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably something to do with your garmin basing “speed “ on flywheel velocity, whereas zwift will take all those fake 60mph downhills into account
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very much Apples to oranges.

Distance on a trainer is not given based og watts alone. Zwift has its algorythms, based on varying incline/The route you choose, The bike you ride, draft/no draft, etc. based of That zwift simulatorspill speed and distance.

Your Edge just has a flat algorythm, where it «assumes» you need x watts to go Y speed, and gives a distance based of that.

Edge and zwift do not talk to eachother.
Quote Reply
Re: Data: Swift vs Garmin Edge [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
This is very much Apples to oranges.

Distance on a trainer is not given based og watts alone. Zwift has its algorythms, based on varying incline/The route you choose, The bike you ride, draft/no draft, etc. based of That zwift simulatorspill speed and distance.

Your Edge just has a flat algorythm, where it «assumes» you need x watts to go Y speed, and gives a distance based of that.

Edge and zwift do not talk to eachother.

This makes sense.
Quote Reply