Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dash saddles
Quote | Reply
Just curious if anyone out there has swapped to a dash saddle and what your experience has been. Iā€™m in the market for a new saddle with very limited options to try.Thanks for any help
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [cscameron82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a dash on both my tri and road bikes - really like them. I am just curious about your statement of having ā€˜very limited optionsā€™ - why is that?

One thing I can say about the dash saddles is that there is a bit of a learning period for the body, especially if youā€™re used to a bit more cushioning. It probably took a good three months of many small adjustments to really dial in the saddle on my tri bike. At first I thought Iā€™d probably made a bad choice in getting a dash. I ended up with the tip of the saddle angled down more than what is typical, but that ended up being what was most comfortable and could translate into good power.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jan 12, 20 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Limited options as in saddles for me to try before I buy, not a lot to choose from. Thanks for the response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are now firmly a Dash saddle household. I spend 2 years on a ISM PN 2.1 and was never super happy with it. But I figured that since 'everyone' rides an ISM, that was just as good as I was going to get it. Eventually went to a local fitter who had a few Dash saddles to try out and it blew my mind. I like the narrower options (so a Strike or a narrow Stage/Tri). After trying an ISM Adamo Road and then a Specialized Power 143mm, Summer now rides a Dash Strike which she finds infinitely better for rotating forward and reducing saddle sores.

Bonus points for them looking awesome and being extremely light.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a narrow Dash Strike on two bikes. I had some major challenges from a fit perspective and a lower saddle height and narrow Dash did the trick. I wonā€™t be experimenting with other saddles again. As mentioned earlier, they are firm and take a little adaptation, but itā€™s not a bad process. Consider the test program through their website.
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [hydena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to make the switch to Dash. Iā€™m fine for 30-40 minutes, but after that it gets uncomfortable. Iā€™m on the trainer onlyā€”have not had it outside yet ā€”and am having trouble getting used to it. I like it a lot, but just donā€™t have it dialed in. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find I run a bit more tilt with my Dash than I did with my others. I also have some tilt in the bars which helps keep me from sliding forward but I feel like the snub nose style suits itself better to tilt.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fitter I worked with had really focused on a good saddle height for me which avoided a need for more tilt than normal for me. The one thing that I found took some experimenting and many micro adjustments was the fore and aft positions of the saddle. That seemed to have a pretty major impact on comfort for me. While they donā€™t have much of a flare from front to back, it was enough that comfort was challenged until we found the ā€œsweet spotā€.
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say that they last much longer than COBB or ISM because itā€™s not as cushioned that breaks down.

Iā€™ve been riding mine since 2016 coming from ISM. I have them on all my bikes.

Also - I never thought they were firmer than the ISM. Tho I will say I tend to feel like I can sit on any snub noses saddle without issue. I went dash for the weight and integrated seatpost originally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a high end one on my tt bike, uci legal one...cannot remember the model. It has held up great. Used an SMP evolution before this and this is a lot better for the tt position for me. On my road bike, very much like the smp evolution....

Dash was amazing to deal with and I cannot say good enough things about them - great service and super product. Expensive, but worth it to me. A good saddle, then good shoes, then good shorts, are critical..

My opinion.

jcb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated by many mine was very finicky to find that sweet spot and that was largely driven but what was the best tilt. As Ben Deal says he runs his with a bit more and I ended up doing but probably resisted going as far as I did due to thinking I would slide off the saddle but wasn't the case. Every time you make a change do micro adjustments and eventually you will find that sweet spot and love the saddle like I do now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a thread with this same question:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...F_P7011765/#p7011765

I have a stages and love it. It is definitely hard to get it just right, but once you get it just right, it's the best saddle for me

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wanted to like my dash. It was a lot more elegant and a full 1/2 pound lighter than my PN1.1. I was never able to get comfortable on it. It wasn't painful, but I could not get that position you can stay in for 56-112mi and not be constantly adjusting. Ended up going back to the PN1.1, YMMV.

Find a bike shop that has a bunch of test saddles. Many brands even make them in weird colors so they are more recognizable as demo models.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jan 12, 20 20:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to the Stage Stock G2 late last year for my first IM. I have tried so many different saddles, the Dash seems just right. It is super light, never had an issue with the amount of cushioning. I could probably try tilting it forward a little more just to tweak it but I have not noticed any real issues.
I am very happy with my choice (as you would hope to be for that money). I am impressed with how light they are. I have done 210km rides on it with the tri bike and not had any real issues over/above any other saddles in relation to chaffing etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest gripe with dash: they donā€™t make the slate anymore. Seriously, the BEST road saddle Iā€™ve ever tried.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
As stated by many mine was very finicky to find that sweet spot and that was largely driven but what was the best tilt. As Ben Deal says he runs his with a bit more and I ended up doing but probably resisted going as far as I did due to thinking I would slide off the saddle but wasn't the case. Every time you make a change do micro adjustments and eventually you will find that sweet spot and love the saddle like I do now.

I'm trying to understand - did you end up going with more tilt than usual? I've been riding a Strike for the last two months and I'm going back and forth between tilt or level (judged by the rails) and running a lower saddle height than with any other saddle (by nearly 2cm!). All configs are more comfortable than ever before, but I'm still trying to find the sweet spot.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets just say I went with more tilt than I had in any other saddle. I had been playing with height and setback trying to find the sweet spot over a long period and at times it would feel good and times not. When I finally exceeded what I thought was more tilt than I should there the sweet spot was no more fiddling. I had always tried to run relatively level in the past as I like a position where I don't feel I have to hold myself in the saddle but with the Dash shape you don't seem to feel like you are sliding off the saddle. Here's my bike and set up so see how it compares to yours. I have the Dash seat/post combo so no rails to compare.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...sie_Dimond_7171.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same boat as many others here couldnt get it to work.

I came from ISM Road, then PN3.0 and PN3.1. Really wanted the dash Stage because it looked like a similar shape and was so much lighter. I tried the Stage, experimented with tilt and where I sat on it. Couldnt get it to be comfortable. Dash has great customer service and they tried to help throughout the process, but it wouldn't work for me. Went through the same process with the Strike model before returning to the PN3.1.

I wish the Dash worked for me because I like everything about it and the company, but it didnt
Quote Reply
Re: Dash saddles [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, so that's a bit more tilt than I dared to try so far - my spouse commented that it "looked wrong" (referring to the rails) when I had it tilted like this. You're right though that something about the Dash shape (and material!) means a lot less sliding around, so I can probably get away with a bit more tilt than I'm running now.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just do it! I endured for so long with a love hate relationship with the saddle fucking around until I tilted it that far and now my position is locked in and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i apparently need an extremely narrow saddle. the PSN saddles dont work for me well in that dept.

i went to dash and the narrowness of it is fantastic. my only problem is that i will develop some pain running down the inside of my left leg over time that i dont get with the PSNs. im sure thats a very personal deal, and probably has to do with tilt that i never really mucked around with to fix.

as far as the softness of them, they are diff a stiff saddle, but out on the road it was never a problem for me personally.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic of the tilt? Just so I have an idea of a good starting point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have experimented with all sorts of saddles, Dash Stage and Strike included. Stage (narrow) was so comfortable for me last year but just couldn't replicate my comfort on my new bike (same bike just a size smaller). I switched to the Strike and I have to say it's amazing.

Same as before take some time getting the tilt and fore/aft setup but it's worth it. Weirdly I have to tilt it up 1 degree for outdoor and down 1 degree for turbo. I find it more comfy to turbo in pants than I do cycling shorts. It's that comfy. Weston at Dash is amazing to deal with too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MDSICT wrote:
I am trying to make the switch to Dash. Iā€™m fine for 30-40 minutes, but after that it gets uncomfortable. Iā€™m on the trainer onlyā€”have not had it outside yet ā€”and am having trouble getting used to it. I like it a lot, but just donā€™t have it dialed in. Any suggestions?

Iā€™ve been using a dash for a few years now. For what itā€™s worth I find it to be way easier to ride for longer hours on it outside vs inside. I also find that thinner chamois are more comfort than thicker ones (backwards compared to most other saddles Iā€™ve ridden).

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have one and really like it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next