Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money
Quote | Reply
I had a look at Daniela Ryf's schedule for the year:

Ironman 70.3 Switzerland. DESTROYED everyone.

Ironman Germany. Likely destroys everyone and qualifies for Kona.

Kona. Barring no issues, I think she still takes the win, but Lucy will at least keep her on her toes.

I can't help but wonder if she is bored at this point? If I was her, I'd do the bare minimum, and collect my easy money without having to travel and race a lot. Do your 3 races, pocket your $120K at Kona, $30K at IM Germany, and whatever she made at Switzlerland ($10k?) and call it a year.

In addition to this, I imagine Bahrain, Red Bull and her other sponsors have decent performance bonuses for those races she does do, so she probably still walks away at the end of the year with $300K or more.....You know, some spending money after you already collected your $1 million triple crown from a year and a half ago.

Not bad for a 31 year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe people at the highest level of sport think like that. Money is good but it's their legacy and performances that drive them. Until she has what she considers to be her perfect race she will always be engaged in sport in my opinion. Additionally until she has every record possible solidifying her as the G.O.A.T she'd be hungry I believe. At 31 she has a lot of life left to do other things but there is a finite amount of time you can be a world dominating athlete. After which you're challenge is humbly accepting that you have reached your athletic heights and adapting to the next chapter whether that be in or outside of sport.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but...you still have to train the same amount. so why not just race a few extra times a year and double that income?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
but...you still have to train the same amount. so why not just race a few extra times a year and double that income?

I don't think for long-course racers you can just the word "just" before "race a few extra times per year." It has an effect. You can't train as much. I believe even pros take a few weeks to fully recover from a long-course race. Maybe 70.3s can be raced more frequently with less impact on training.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

I don't think for long-course racers you can just the word "just" before "race a few extra times per year." It has an effect. You can't train as much. I believe even pros take a few weeks to fully recover from a long-course race. Maybe 70.3s can be raced more frequently with less impact on training.

that was my implication. not "just" a few extra ironmans. 70.3's are considered "long course," fyi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to see how much of this is her call? I would assume at the highest level she is managed and coached with sponsor commitments and requirements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few more years before she can afford to buy a home in Switzerland. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is coached by Brectt Sutton and after Kona last year he made her take 3 months off to ensure her longevity in the sport.

At the time she said she found it very difficult but now she says she realises the wisdom.
Not sure about sponsor commitments but winning Kona has got to be the biggest target and she has done that multiple times.
Last edited by: Stumps: Jun 27, 18 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life is so much more than money. If they do they will quickly learn in retirement that retirement isn't all that it is cracked up to be which is why so many great athletes retire and then try to come back. At some level, being an champion athlete is very hard as it requires complete focus and dedication to the task at hand. With that comes a whole lot of purpose. I suspect beating Lucy is no easy task as Lucy is likely as hungry or hungrier. Daniela would know that and to stay on top is just as much of a challenge as getting there. Could she be bored, possibly, but I think if she was it would reflect to some degree in her racing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:

Kona. Barring no issues, I think she still takes the win, but Lucy will at least keep her on her toes.

I can't help but wonder if she is bored at this point? If I was her, I'd do the bare minimum, and collect my easy money without having to travel and race a lot. Do your 3 races, pocket your $120K at Kona, $30K at IM Germany, and whatever she made at Switzlerland ($10k?) and call it a year.

In addition to this, I imagine Bahrain, Red Bull and her other sponsors have decent performance bonuses for those races she does do, so she probably still walks away at the end of the year with $300K or more.....You know, some spending money after you already collected your $1 million triple crown from a year and a half ago.

I predict the same path for her as Chrissie and Gwen.

At some point if no one steps up she will get "bored" BUT seek out new athletic challenges in other environments. Chrissie retired, started a family? And is now back into running. Gwen "retired", started a family and is now chasing the olympic marathon.

Daniela might continue for 1-2 more years but I see her going a different route after, whatever that may be.

How long does Sutton's athletes usually perform at their peak before they go or retire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She should switch to the marathon and just win gold. Problem solved. New adventure and new goals to chase
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
CgyTriGuy wrote:

At some point if no one steps up she will get "bored" BUT seek out new athletic challenges in other environments. Chrissie retired, started a family? And is now back into running. Gwen "retired", started a family and is now chasing the olympic marathon.

Daniela might continue for 1-2 more years but I see her going a different route after, whatever that may be.

How long does Sutton's athletes usually perform at their peak before they go or retire?

As already discussed, I dont think she is that interested in money (at least anymore), according to Macca (maybe not the most trustworthy source) she made 3 million on that triple crown year when all was added up.

Here how is going to go. Kona 2018 and 2019 as focus, then 2020 Olympic time trial (note Spirig took silver this year in Swiss championships, so the sport is on the Sutton radar. This was also discussed a bit in 2016). After that, who knows.
Last edited by: markko: Jun 28, 18 0:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was her, I'd do the bare minimum, and collect my easy money without having to travel and race a lot. Do your 3 races, pocket your $120K at Kona, $30K at IM Germany, and whatever she made at Switzlerland ($10k?) and call it a year.

Unless she competed for reasons other than money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CgyTriGuy wrote:
She is a very strong favourite and in all likelyhood will win it, but a bike crash a few days before like Tim Don, a bike twinge on the run like Jan Frodeno and you're not winning any money. Not that i think she needs the prize money - i think her sponsors will look after her very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [uk_bloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember Sutton being very annoyed at Chrissie when she retired: he felt she had been chasing fastest ever records, and winning by unnecessarily huge margins and this led to an earlier retirement. I know it's his ego, but he reckoned he could have trained her to win more Kona's backing off a bit, and doing just enough for the W on the day at any race rather than crushing it and then gone on for much longer without physical/mental burnout.

I'd expect him to try this with Daniela, although it remains to be seen whether Lucy (or others) could throw down such a challenge that this is not actually possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll see what happens, will everyone else make a jump up. They haven't so far. Its strange that it seems to be easier to dominate the womens field than the mens, I wouldn't say Frodo or Crowie were as dominant as Chrissie and Ryf but then I haven't analysed it so maybe they were.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I remember Sutton being very annoyed at Chrissie when she retired: he felt she had been chasing fastest ever records, and winning by unnecessarily huge margins and this led to an earlier retirement. I know it's his ego, but he reckoned he could have trained her to win more Kona's backing off a bit, and doing just enough for the W on the day at any race rather than crushing it and then gone on for much longer without physical/mental burnout.

I'd expect him to try this with Daniela, although it remains to be seen whether Lucy (or others) could throw down such a challenge that this is not actually possible.

I don't think he was annoyed, he simply made the comment that she could have gone on for a few more years. Chrissie wasn't coached by Sutton after her first Kona win so it wouldn't have made a difference
Ryf is probably Sutton true protegee success as she has stayed with him for the last 4 years now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think she would (or she should) be pretty concerned/motivated about Lucy Charles, who will outswim Ryf, then bike much better than the already-great-bike she had last year. And her run should be in the same ballpark as Ryf. So on paper, I would put all my money on Lucy. If I were in Ryf's shoes, the last thing I would feel is complacent

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see Lucy is racing Roth this weekend, which means after doing IM South Africa earlier in the year, Kona will be her third full distance race of the year, though still many months away. Still, that is a lot of racing, when you also sprinkle in her 70.3 schedule. I hope she is fit and fresh, will be a great battle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All depends on her "why".

Make money.
Legacy.
Competitive drive.

Whatever she does, we'll see what her motivation is.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
All depends on her "why".
Make money.
Legacy.
Competitive drive.
Whatever she does, we'll see what her motivation is.

I think competitive drive is #1 in all top athletes' minds as you don't get to the top w/o a huge drive, plus of course great genetics. I do not believe anyone ever won Kona just for the money, and "legacy" is simply your cumulative results over your career, which must be fueled by a huge, huge insatiable desire to reach the very top.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont speak so soon on destroying everyone. Anne Haug is doing her first Ironman in Germany next week. Dani exposed her self in Kona last year and showed she was human. Rinny is back in the mix of things. There will be a-lot of pressure in Kona this year with one of the strongest field in mens and women. I know she performs well under pressure but don't write it off that easy. Also if she has structured her sponsors well most of them will be appearance based not performance based. If you follow her on socials it seems that the first half of the year she was doing tons of appearances for big sponsors and shoots. Similar to what Jan did last year. Don't race much but make a million or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf Schedule/Money [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
CgyTriGuy wrote:

Gwen wasn't exactly dominating to the point of boredom, Flora Duffy won the ITU title the year Gwen retired and its certainly debatable what would have happened between the two had Gwen stayed in Triathlon the following year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I think she would (or she should) be pretty concerned/motivated about Lucy Charles, who will outswim Ryf, then bike much better than the already-great-bike she had last year. And her run should be in the same ballpark as Ryf. So on paper, I would put all my money on Lucy. If I were in Ryf's shoes, the last thing I would feel is complacent

Quite a big ballpark (two best times 2.56, 2.57 vs. 3.05, 3.08). I'd be tempted to take your money, especially this year.
Last edited by: markko: Jul 1, 18 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I think she would (or she should) be pretty concerned/motivated about Lucy Charles, who will outswim Ryf, then bike much better than the already-great-bike she had last year. And her run should be in the same ballpark as Ryf. So on paper, I would put all my money on Lucy.
Daniela Sämmler just outran Lucy at Roth (3:04 vs. 3:08) for the win. Fast runs at Kona 2016/2017: Daniela Ryf, Rinny Carfrae, Kaisa Sali.
Quote Reply

Prev Next