Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run?
Quote | Reply
I admit, this is a pretty silly post, but this really grabbed my attention!

So I watched my first ever Ironman championships last weekend. I really thought it was fun to try to pick out the gear the various pros used. One thing I noticed, it doesn’t appear that Daniela Ryf wears a watch when she runs! I thought maybe it was a fluke so I looked at some random pictures of her at other IM events and it doesn’t look like she ever wears a watch when she runs. Has anyone ever heard her say she just goes on feel in the run? I couldn’t find anything.

Personally, I’m one of those people that checks my watch WAY TOO MUCH while running. What’s my pace? Is my HR getting to high? So on. Is it a surprise to anyone else that a pro doesn’t use this? Do many of you do lots of running just on feel? I personally can’t imagine running without my watch! Curious as to others feeling/thoughts on the matter :).
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [IronMark_81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More common than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I really felt fit for a race, I'd leave the watch behind before the start of the race (i.e., I'd race watch-less). I always trained with a watch (a Timex Ironman watch in the early days), but in the race I didn't want to place any limits on what I could do. This approach worked really well for me over many years (I've been racing since '83)--almost all my race PRs came in watch-less races and my overall times in those races almost always exceeded what I would have otherwise predicted.
Did going match-less, and freeing myself from time expectations, make these results happen? Who knows; after all, I always used this strategy when I felt really fit, so maybe it was just "extra fitness" on the day. But I felt that racing just by "feel" and ignoring the watch was very liberating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If true, missed sponsorship opportunity. Wear it but turned off. Or turned on with opaque tape over the screen to get the run data after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
If true, missed sponsorship opportunity. Wear it but turned off. Or turned on with opaque tape over the screen to get the run data after the race.

Seems like overkill and something the aforementioned sponsorships wouldn't like. Just leave it on silent and showing a useless data screen (if she can't look away, which she can) so it at least looks like the watch is in use
Last edited by: BigBoyND: May 15, 22 4:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blu didn't wear his across the finish line. What happened to his watch? He looked at his very frequently throughout the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
giorgitd wrote:

Seems like overkill and something the afore.entioned sponsorships wouldn't like. Just leave it on silent and showing a useless data screen (if she can't look away, which she can) so it at least looks like the watch is in use

Like... the actual time of day. Good to know if you want to buy beer in Texas on Sundays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Blu didn't wear his across the finish line. What happened to his watch? He looked at his very frequently throughout the run.

Quick and lazy google search shows he doesn't have a watch sponsor. I bet he will soon! lol

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I saw dcrainmaker post that he was wearing a Garmin but took it off close to the finish because he has a partnership with wahoo. Or something along those lines.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's odd. If he has a Wahoo partnership then why not wear a Wahoo watch instead of wearing a Garmin and ditching it at the finish? Equally odd if Wahoo said he can wear a Garmin during 90% of the race, just not at the finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryf is sponsored by Breitling, which despite sponsoring triathletes, doesn't make a triathlon watch. If you look closely at the finish line when she won, you'll see that her support crew rush to put on a Breitling.

https://danielaryf.ch/...uad-with-daniela-ryf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I believe I saw dcrainmaker post that he was wearing a Garmin but took it off close to the finish because he has a partnership with wahoo. Or something along those lines.

It's Ironman which has the partnership. Blu was just taking off his Garmin because he wasn't sponsored by Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea that doesn't make sense. Does the garmin watch have some special metric that the wahoo watch doesn't? I would assume during the actual race he mainly looking at HR and pace (maybe power?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you buy a new watch it often has a vinyl 'mock screen' on the face (to make it appear to be on while in the box)...use that.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that makes more sense! I knew I was missing something. No free advertisement for the World Champ!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMark_81 wrote:

So I watched my first ever Ironman championships last weekend. I really thought it was fun to try to pick out the gear the various pros used. One thing I noticed, it doesn’t appear that Daniela Ryf wears a watch when she runs! I thought maybe it was a fluke so I looked at some random pictures of her at other IM events and it doesn’t look like she ever wears a watch when she runs. Has anyone ever heard her say she just goes on feel in the run? I couldn’t find anything.

Personally, I’m one of those people that checks my watch WAY TOO MUCH while running. What’s my pace? Is my HR getting to high? So on. Is it a surprise to anyone else that a pro doesn’t use this? Do many of you do lots of running just on feel? I personally can’t imagine running without my watch! Curious as to others feeling/thoughts on the matter :).

Daniela trains with a GPS watch but for years she hasn't raced with a GPS watch.

timbasile wrote:
jrielley wrote:

It's Ironman which has the partnership. Blu was just taking off his Garmin because he wasn't sponsored by Garmin.

Blummenfelt is similar to Daniela, trains with a GPS watch and doesn't run with one during the race. If not being sponsored by Garmin was such a big deal his instagram would be wiped of all Garmin related stuff...and yet there's tons of photos showing Garmin products in the last few weeks let alone months.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 15, 22 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure Lionel doesn’t wear a watch, he mentions that in one of his YouTube videos.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly on topic by when Lothar Leder did the first sub 8 at Roth 1996 he had no bike computer or watch and I believe he was told by fans around 1km out that he needed a sub 4km to break 8hrs. That was when sub 8 was a big deal
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Blummenfelt is similar to Daniela, trains with a GPS watch and doesn't run with one during the race.

What? He wore one both at Cozumel and StG. Looks at it constantly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to the chagrin of many age groupers, she doesnt record training data and didnt even use a power meter until very recently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:

Close. ;) Here's the original tweet, and the immediate follow-up tweet/picture showing him taking it off: https://twitter.com/.../1523071136879333377

He took it off at 0.4mi remaining. Some suspect because Garmin doesn't sponsor him. The kicker is, my bet is had he left it on, Garmin would have at a minimum probably come to a deal with him to license that imagery/likeness for advertising purposes. If not a broader sponsorship.

As I said in some follow-up tweets, ultimtaely, it's his choice. But given he wore it on-camera the entire time, it just seems relatively petty (both from a consumer and company point of view). To me as a consumer, it says "I only endorse things when I'm paid off". And from a potential company point of view, it immediately reduces the pool of companies that might sponsor you in the future, as again, some see that kind of behaviour as petty. All of which ultimately devalues his sponorship income - even if you're the champ. A smaller pool of sponsors is simply less money you can make. But again, to each his own.

As for watches/bike computers not being used by pros. Certainly, it happens. But the overwhelming majority (like 95%+) of pro triathletes and pro cyclists are using the devices and collecting data on them daily. And that data is a core part of how coaches decide what happens the next day/week/month.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you chimed in! Tried to find the original but through your posted on IG story not Twitter. And interesting perspective on the other end of the “no free advertisement” idea.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMark_81 wrote:

The running events I did growing up didn't allow pacers or watches. Wearing a watch is a race would results in a DQ. So the fact that everyone has GPS watches now and can not only get their mile splits, but can get their current pace, lap pace, full run pace, Hear Rate, power, cadence, etc. took a little bit of getting used to. If I am doing a running event I really don't need a watch. I run at as fast as I can sustain for the distance and if things are going well I can push the pace and if I am struggling I can easy up. Having a watch doesn't really help me at all. In multisport events I heavily rely on the watch. I can't pace by feel out of the water, of the bike, etc like I do in running events. I multisport ands too many variables to the equation so I use the watch pace to keep on track on the run.

I haven't seen anything from Ryf on the run pace strategy or lack of use of a watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf - No watch on the run? [curtish26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curtish26 wrote:
IronMark_81 wrote:

I haven't seen anything from Ryf on the run pace strategy or lack of use of a watch.
I suggest that Ryf expected Matthews to take time off her and set off at the best pace she thought she could maintain, by RPE. Haug was 15 minutes back and not really in play. Ryf's pace in that first half was adequate and faster than a slightly cooked Matthews: Ryf slowed markedly in the second half. Matthews ran an even paced 1:30 and 1:30 and used a watch. Haug ran 1:25 to try to chase Matthews down but 'faded' with a 1:31.
Quote Reply

Prev Next