Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dan's Hed Aerobar review
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen or tried the Hed aerobar yet. It looks really cool, but just looking at the pictures left me with the opinion that it might be hard to handle or hold on to for hilly courses like IM Lake Placid. Dan's article brought up the same potential problems.

I could see using this for time trials or the flat races here in Florida. but I am worried about using it on challenging courses.

Have any of you bleeding edge pioneers tried the bar on the hills yet, or are you all still in the deep freeze?
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is sufficient hand hold areas, the flat base bar also adds more options. I dont use bar tape on the bar ends (no need really) and find the ergonomics very nice. The bar is more narrrow and has less available base bar real estate than say the C2's but I climb in the aero bars unless very steep, then I switch to the bar ends.

I did notice some flex in the base bar in comparison to the C2's, probably because the C2's are tubular aluminum and the HED is flat carbon.

Very minor really, the bar really absorbs road shock. and the brake levers work great. I like the adjustability too. The elbow pads are much more thin than the C2's if you are use to comfy pads. They do the job for TT though, maybe something thicker like CEE GEE for Ironman distances.

The elbow cups are not the same they advertise, they are not carbon, aluminum round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still in the deep freeze but I did do some "climbing" on a computrainer with Hed aerobars. I think they will be good for rolling courses. I plan on using them at Wisconsin IM. My only criticism after using them a short time is when you apply the brakes and then release the lever the little space between the lever and the bar closes and pinches your skin between you thumb and index finger. Ouch. With practice you can avoid it. I think Steve Hed said something about putting a radius on that surface of the lever to correct that in the future. On hilly courses, I think these would be good... IMHO.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not worried so much about climbing. I am worried about descending. There is no upturn on the bar ends. On my regular Syntace base bar I use this upturn to help push me back in the seat. I can imagine slipping off the front of the bar. I would have gloves on if the course had significant descents, but I don't know if that would be enough to insure a firm grip.

I really don't see how you could do without tape. Sweating hands on a hot day would slide right off a carbon fiber surface I would think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, valid point. I'm not into wearing gloves in a race, even though they provide padding and protect your hands in a fall. I wear them training. Maybe a small strip of rubberized, self adhesive non-skid tape on the "medial" (inside) surface of the grip section would help when your hands are wet and sweaty. I haven't seen the need for this yet since I haven't used them "real world" yet. Good observation though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they don't have an upturn, but they do have a bulge. look at my photo of the bars from the side. you can see it, and it's there to provide a "blocking" mechanism. i've descended fairly radical stuff on the bars already, without incident. i think after i paint my granular goop on them that'll be the ticket. i'll let you know.

btw, tom's comment about the pinching. i too thought this would be an issue with the bike on the trainer. for some reason it isn't with the bike out on the road.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Hed vs Oval [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw both the Hed and Oval bars at my LBS. I thought they were the one and same company. Whats the difference? Price seems to be out of reach. Are you going to review Oval products? I've already seen forks and aerobars in the store.

Aloha
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, I know you are a way better cyclist than this Florida boy. I am guessing that you could do the descents, but that holding on was something of a problem, though manageable. I am guessing that problem caused you to consider adding a bit of grit to the grips to help with the issue. Am I guessing wrong?

Chicken in Florida,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had zero problem with grip, except one day it was colder and i rode with cotton gloves, and with those on it was somewhat slippery. i then extrapolated, and wondered what it would be like on a hot summer day, when my hands were sweaty. i do not know, but i might guess that it might be nice to have the surface more easily "grippable."

so i'm going to experiment with that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, I use a marine grade liquid plastic product that one can paint on to nylon double-braid and braided line to reduce chaffing with galvanized and stainless hardware.

It is liquid but dries into a solid rubber and is very similar to the plastic grips you find moulded onto hand tools. Very nifty stuff, called Plasti Dip, comes in black, you will like this stuff, thinking of ordering a can myself to coat my HED's, cheers, Gary

http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html

$10 a can: http://www.globalnovelties.com/auto/plastidip.htm

Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about getting HED aerobars for my P2K in place of my syntance C2's. I was wondering if any that have these bars have had problems when going down a steep hill and aplying the breaks, as there is no upturn in the end of the bars as noted in a post earlier? I want to purchase the bars, however this is a big concern of mine. Has anyone had a problem in this area?

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADDENDUM: since posting last I have added skateboard tape to the top and bottom of the grip areas making the bars more stable in the corners and while descending
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy how has these bars and he let me take his ride for a quick spin. The bars are sweet. Really nicely made. My only quality complaint was that the outside of the armrests was too flexible for me. But It didn't take me long to realize that the bars weren't for me. The base bar extensions (with the brake handles) are really small, and really short. They're also slippery if your hands are wet. I tend to work the base bars over a bit and I don't think I'd be comfortable with these bars. Plus after looking at some pics from races this year, I realized how much I climb with my hands resting on the base bar extensions. (Similar to riding on the hoods of a standard setup.) I just don't think I'd be comfortable on these bars. They are damn schweet looking and well made though.

I wish VisionTech would freaking make a flat bar with no integrated stem!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...a flat bar with no integrated stem!!!"

Have you tried the aluminum Oval aerobar? The design is very similar to the carbon HED bar, except for the integrated brake levers. This bar is really stiff. But try it first because, like the HED bars, you might feel like the base of the Oval bar extentions are also too short for your liking. I like mine a lot. I'm at the point where I'm more comfortable tucked in the aero position than on the bar ends.

Just a thought.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the HED bars, I am just wondering if any one with these bars has had slipping problems going down hills. Do you feel secure on them or not?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After doing a fair amount of climbing and descending with my HED bars, I have opted to go back to C2s for IMC. The HED bar is very nice, but it is going to take a bit of tweaking to get them set up the way I like them. The base bar is very slippery for technical descents if you don't modify them (i.e. bar tape, skateboard tape, etc.). The small brake levers require much more pressure to slow or stop (this was not an issue except on steeper, more technical descents). I had problems with the brake levers pinching (as mentioned above). I also didn't care much for the climbing position on longer, steeper climbs. The bars do flex a little, but I didn't find that to be too distracting. All in all, I think the HEDs are a great TT bar for flat to rolling courses, but I would recommend something else if you will be doing longer climbs and/or more technical descents.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the HEDS and I love them. I find there to be no problem in decents tricky or not. Profile Design used to have this neoprene sleeve that was made for their old airstryke bars but you could pretty much use it on any bar. I bought one form my local shop, cut two pieces that where the exact size of the outboard handles of the base bar, and with some elbow grease (and hair spray) I slid it on, works beautifully when racing when your hands are sweaty, and it looks very clean. I also used Lizard Skins for the brake levers, again works like a charm. The only problem I could see is actually finding a shop that has these Profile-Design grips. If you cant find any, call Phil at R&A Cycles, I know he has a crap load of them ( that is where I got mine from)

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I broke down and went to my local tri shop to have the HED's installed, I had to drop off my bike to pike it up on Wed. or Thurs. It looked to me that the pro's of these bars out weighed the con's. Most of the roads I ride on are flat, and when going down hills I will be careful, and take some advice on this board. Hey Jason what are the Lizard Skins that you spoke of? I would like to do a clean set uo on my bars like you did. I am looking forward to getting my bike back with these bars, thanks for all the help.......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lizard Skins, I think that is the name of the company, they make neoprene "covers" for different parts of a frame/bike, the ones I bought where for mnt bike brake levers, but with a little bit of triming they fit perfectly on the HEDS, again use hairspray to help slide them on, and when the hairspray dries, it acts like an adhesive

Try this site: http://www.lizardskins.com/.../misclevergrips.html for more info

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tips:

1. use skateboard tape on the tops and bottoms of the hand grips

2. rough up the inside of your stem faceplate before attaching bar

3. use blue loctite on levers if they get loose

4. use silicone glue on the armpads to affix them, the velcro does not hold well

NEVER use wax on the bars, be wary of rainy races with no grips on the bars, use blue loctite on all hardware for safety
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Jason's idea with the Profile-Design grips, if I can find some I think I will give it a shot this way. However the skateboard tape sounds good also. I have not heard of the blue loctite on all hardware. I am looking forward to trying these HED bars on the road, I think I made a great choice. Thanks all..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, are these the grip's you were talking about? http://www.cambriabike.com/...ile_design_grips.htm

It looks like they come in clear or the bigger green ones, if these are them, do you slide them over the brake levers first, then over the bars?

Thanks,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the grip that I am talking about-
http://www.tri-zone.com/...log/BigAeroGrip.html

Just cut it to fit the outboard extensions, about 1.5 inches

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Last edited by: jasonogk: Aug 11, 03 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Dan's Hed Aerobar review [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason, thanks pal. I appreciate it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, once again thanks for showing me hao to put the Profile-Design grips on my Hed bars. I have to say it was not easy, however they work very well. If I had any reservations about going down steep hills, now I do not. Thanks again....

Quote Reply

Prev Next