Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dan, you need to add Moots to your list
Quote | Reply
Just reading the article about interbike I just have to comment on the part about Titanium Stems. I have a Moots stem and believe (or hope) that it´s superior to the best stems out there.

Regards

Martin
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, you need to add Moots to your list [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And how about an ITM Krystal titanium 1" quill stem that is mounted on my lugged steel classic. Now you've got me worried.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, you need to add Moots to your list [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[snip]

yes on moots. butch & crew have made fine ti products for years, as good as anyone out there.

ITM has a ti stem? that's a scary thought. since when is ITM a ti company?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, you need to add Moots to your list [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"ITM has a ti stem? that's a scary thought. since when is ITM a ti company? "

Apparently ITM offers stems in carbon, aluminium and magnesium. The Krystal is a 1" quill stem so I'd assume it's out of production. I use it on my old lugged steel bike that is being upgraded to 9 sp Ultegra triple this winter. It will serve as my "comfort" bike for centuries and long touring rides. I'll still have the TCR and P2K for other riding.

Here is the stem that I'm referring to. Did a goggle and didn't find anything on the net about a failure.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/...D_28097_2515crx.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, you need to add Moots to your list [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Did a goggle and didn't find anything on the net about a failure."

i just complete a goggle search myself, and found a great new one by TYR :-)

i don't mean to imply that i have a shred of evidence that anything made by ITM, a fine company, is anything other than very safe. i just have seen a remarkable number of ti stems fail, and i'd want to know precisely where a ti stem was made before i put one on my bike. i'd want to know the factory where it was made. this is not a category of product in which you can just blindly suppose that "they wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't safe." but as i said, ITM has been a great company for many years, so...

it's not just ti. there are a lot of carbon stems out there, made who knows where? i guess i'm somewhat concerned about them as well. and carbon forks that weigh 350 grams. oh man. maybe it's that i'm old. i just often think when i'm riding this lightweight stuff that i'm walking on a 2-foot-wide footbridge made out of light wooden planks, 200 feet above a river gorge. i just won't ride this stuff unless i really, really am confident of its pedigree.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, you need to add Moots to your list [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i just won't ride this stuff unless i really, really am confident of its pedigree."

Dan, just did another search in the ITM 2003 online catalogue and noted that the ti Krystal stem is still being produced. I got mine on ebay so don't know the history. So I'll have to take my chances along with the carbon forks and carbon handle bars that I also ride on.The only bike I own and know for sure is completely 100% safe is my Schwinn cross trainer hybrid.
Quote Reply