Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice?
Quote | Reply
Flying back from a race my Zipp disc was damaged
There is a small crack/hole about 1'' in size near where the cassette body is
It has gone through the black outer coat and you can actually see what looks like some honeycomb threads

The area around the hole seems fine, and I put the wheel back in the bike and it seems perfectly true and seems solid enough

Obviously this sucks, but was wondering if there was
a) anything that can be done
b) advice on what structural integrity has been compromised

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fill it with JB Weld and keep on riding!
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Flying back from a race my Zipp disc was damaged
There is a small crack/hole about 1'' in size near where the cassette body is
It has gone through the black outer coat and you can actually see what looks like some honeycomb threads

The area around the hole seems fine, and I put the wheel back in the bike and it seems perfectly true and seems solid enough

Obviously this sucks, but was wondering if there was
a) anything that can be done
b) advice on what structural integrity has been compromised

Thanks

Not having seen a photo of the damage or the wheel in person, mind you--

Discs are remarkably tough wheels and it can take a pretty big hole or crack to make the wheel unsound. I've patched holes in a disc with simple fiberglass cloth, sanding it smooth and blending the repair into the surrounding area. The honeycomb is the core of your wheel; I'd give a patch a go, especially as you've not a lot to lose. Zipp also can do repairs, but it would cost more money than DIY. From what sounds like its location, a repair won't be too visible, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it's garbage!

i'll give you $100 for it! which is against my first intentions of only offering to pay shipping........


Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev many thanks
I am hoping the outer black structure is in effect just a fairing to protect the honeycomb inside
As such a DIY aesthetic repair may just do the trick

Good job I had no intention of selling it - would look rather suspect on ebay !!
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
gabbiev many thanks
I am hoping the outer black structure is in effect just a fairing to protect the honeycomb inside
As such a DIY aesthetic repair may just do the trick

Good job I had no intention of selling it - would look rather suspect on ebay !!

The outer black carbon skin definitely is structural, but this is a very strong wheel. You'd probably could just slap a piece of electrical tape over the hole, but me, I'd rather do something a little more permanent. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twinracer2 wrote:
i think it's garbage!

i'll give you $100 for it! which is against my first intentions of only offering to pay shipping........



I'll pay $150 and even pay for shipping.

Heck, you can even keep the cassette and tire. Tubular correct?


.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send it to zipp and have them take a look. In my [rather limited] experience they fixed things/replaced things for free that were beyond all possible expectations. The last time I was tempted to call up and ask why in the world they did so as it really made no sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get your wheel sorted out?

I'm in a similar situation (having had a disc damaged in shipping) and im looking at options to go for.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
Send it to zipp and have them take a look. In my [rather limited] experience they fixed things/replaced things for free that were beyond all possible expectations. The last time I was tempted to call up and ask why in the world they did so as it really made no sense to me.

x2
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in similar situation but torn as to how to proceed. I have had numerous bike mechanics at the local Zipp dealer tell me that they don't think damage is anything structural, but merely cosmetic. I am torn whether I should send it out to Zipp for official repairs and sealing of the crack, or if I just slap a sticker or black tape on it and call it a day.

I don't have any reason to distrust the local Zipp dealer, but I want to make sure I don't make the situation any worse by riding it before having Zipp take a look. My one concern is that I have heard if the Zipp techs determine that there is in fact structural damage that they won't send the disc back. Is that true?

Any insight?
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics of the damage would help.....in both cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here it is, in all its glory:(
Now that I have gotten the stamp of "no structural damage" from Zipp dealer, I want to know how I should proceed. Functionally, I realize I won't really be loosing any performance (unless someone cares to calculate a per dimple wattage savings). Cosmetically, I haven't decided which way to go...Zipp repair or third party carbon experts. I may end up selling the disc this year or next, so I want to be sure I get the most out of it too....its a low mileage 2010 disc so I hate to see it maimed like this!

Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you got insurance $$$ for it. Its going to take a major hit on its resale even though its got the go ahead from Zipp.. and even if you get it repaired professionally. Interesting to hear what they quote you. I'd personally just patch it myself (or get a buddy who has access to a vacuum bagging setup to do it) then resign myself to use the crap out of it. $2000 training wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't sell it for much. Either is a good option, but expect to keep it or let your son (if you have one) use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I completely understand that my once $2k+ disc is not quite what it once was, but when I decide to get rid of it it will still make a great wheel for someone on a budget. I'll post some updates once its repaired.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sustained damage to my Sub-9 disc in 2010 (bent derailleur hanger, causing the derailleur to cut into the disc surface during wheel rotation). Zipp said any damage approx less than than Quarter coin in size could probably be repaired without any structural issues, but the repair would not be very cosmetic.

OR, the crash replacement issue was an option. You give them the old damaged disc and get a brand-new one for $1100.

I decided to place a full disc decal on both sides - rode that for the balance of 2010 and 2011 season races (used on all short course races), then at the end of 2011 (just before IM WA) I decided to go for the crash replacement program - so have a new disc now...
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp will do a repair that is rough enough that you would wish that you had done it on own or had a 3rd party carbon repair place do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [dmohara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Zipp will do a repair that is rough enough that you would wish that you had done it on own or had a 3rd party carbon repair place do it.

I have seen a couple of their repairs...I think that's a bit harsh, not rough just utilitarian is how I would characterize them. Short of putting a lot of weight onto it sanding and filling or actually cutting out the broken section and remolding the wheel, you aren't going to get a beautiful repair easily. The sensible repair is the minimal one IMO. That being said, an experienced carbon repair guy could probably do as well as Zipp for less $$$. I used to repair carbon fiber racing shells nearly nonstop ( novice junior rowers+ heavy old boats = lots of repair opportunities with low consequence for failure), got great at the function and fairly mediocre at the aesthetics. Mostly in rowing it only matters that you get something on there so you don't grab a carbon splinter or crack it further (not that likely) or hmm, have it fill with water. For your disc, its the all-important bike rack intimidation factor. Though rocking a torn up disc I guess is intimidating in a different way ;)

If you don't want to do it or send it out, see if you have a rowing club locally...any decent college program will likely have someone experienced in repairs. If you are in the Northeast, larger programs have boatmen who do nothing but repairs and rigging. They love side jobs usually and will work for some $$$ and beer IME.
Quote Reply
Re: Damaged my Sub 9 disc - any advice? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:
Zipp will do a repair that is rough enough that you would wish that you had done it on own or had a 3rd party carbon repair place do it.


I have seen a couple of their repairs...I think that's a bit harsh, not rough just utilitarian is how I would characterize them. Short of putting a lot of weight onto it sanding and filling or actually cutting out the broken section and remolding the wheel, you aren't going to get a beautiful repair easily. The sensible repair is the minimal one IMO. That being said, an experienced carbon repair guy could probably do as well as Zipp for less $$$. I used to repair carbon fiber racing shells nearly nonstop ( novice junior rowers+ heavy old boats = lots of repair opportunities with low consequence for failure), got great at the function and fairly mediocre at the aesthetics. Mostly in rowing it only matters that you get something on there so you don't grab a carbon splinter or crack it further (not that likely) or hmm, have it fill with water. For your disc, its the all-important bike rack intimidation factor. Though rocking a torn up disc I guess is intimidating in a different way ;)

If you don't want to do it or send it out, see if you have a rowing club locally...any decent college program will likely have someone experienced in repairs. If you are in the Northeast, larger programs have boatmen who do nothing but repairs and rigging. They love side jobs usually and will work for some $$$ and beer IME.

X2 Great idea for a cheap (er) fix

_________________________
I got nothing.
Quote Reply