Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daily wearable GPS run watch
Quote | Reply
Peeps.

Can anybody recommend a watch with basic (or advanced, but basic will do) GPS run capability that will also serve well as a daily wearable watch?

Only really need basic run stuff like distance, time, average pace, mile/lap pace, and probably HR either via strap or built in.

Important to me is the ability to use without GPS enabled with a "watch-like" time display that extends battery life to something that doesn't make you hate the thing for having to recharge all the time. But can use as GPS sports watch on demand.

Not that arsed about aesthetics.

Does such a thing exist? Is this a Fenix or something?

Thanks ST. Cheers, Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 11, 18 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really love my Garmin 645 as a daily watch. It's a dedicated run watch that looks good in the office. I've got the non-music version as I've always got my phone with me anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Apple does basic GPS fitness tracking. However, I like Garmins way better, unless the advanced device options of the AW are a priority. The 735XT, 935, and 6xx watches are all good daily wear devices. The Fenix adds some style but are essentially the same as the 935.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife has a Samsung Gear 2 Sport. I think checks all your boxes.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vivoactive 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR for workout tracking and daily wear as a watch. It's not great-looking compared to an Apple watch or something, but works fine for what I need it for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also going to recommend the Garmin Vivoactive 3. Decided to replace my Garmin Vivoactive HR with it, since it looks more like a watch. I actually get a lot of questions and compliments from non-runners about it.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up an AmazFit Bip watch for $65 on Amazon and have been very impressed

Pros:
- low cost
- 1 month battery life
- GPS syncs in 1/3 time of my Garmin 910
- sleep tracker
- step tracker, calorie counter, optical HRM
- accuracy agrees with Garmin on HRM and Distance

Cons:
- not waterproof rated ( but I’ve gone swimming and showering many times with it)
- cheap but durable materials, looks like a timex iWatch
- phone sync is not super stable
- doesn’t seem to sync to social training apps on Strava, Apple, TP, etc...but I haven’t tried too hard.

This got a great review in WSJ as ‘ the smart watch we’ve been waiting for’. The ‘Activity’’ tab has running, treadmill, cycling, and a few more. Easy interface and great battery are my favorite features

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
I'm also going to recommend the Garmin Vivoactive 3. Decided to replace my Garmin Vivoactive HR with it, since it looks more like a watch. I actually get a lot of questions and compliments from non-runners about it.
I just got this as well (music version) I like it alot, though the battery life does not seem as good as the Vivoactive HR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vivoactive 3. Good for running, gym, like others said non runners at the office often compliment it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Garmin 230 to do just that.

In hindsight I wish I'd bought the 235.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a ‘new’ reconditioned Vivoactive (the original one) that you can have if you pay shipping and PayPal fee - maybe $15. I had one for about two years, then one button stopped working. Garmin sent me a replacement, but I decided to go with a 735, which is more daily watch. It doesn’t do wrist HR, but can work with a HR strap, which I prefer to inaccurate optical HR.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That AmazFit thing looks cool

The Garmin Forerunner 35 is great. GPS and optical HRM, very durable and waterproof. $169.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the first generation vivoactive and love it.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suunto Spartan Trainer HR wrist. Multisport too...
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to hear more about this.

TriDevilDog wrote:
I just picked up an AmazFit Bip watch for $65 on Amazon and have been very impressed

Pros:
- low cost
- 1 month battery life
- GPS syncs in 1/3 time of my Garmin 910
- sleep tracker
- step tracker, calorie counter, optical HRM
- accuracy agrees with Garmin on HRM and Distance

Cons:
- not waterproof rated ( but I’ve gone swimming and showering many times with it)
- cheap but durable materials, looks like a timex iWatch
- phone sync is not super stable
- doesn’t seem to sync to social training apps on Strava, Apple, TP, etc...but I haven’t tried too hard.

This got a great review in WSJ as ‘ the smart watch we’ve been waiting for’. The ‘Activity’’ tab has running, treadmill, cycling, and a few more. Easy interface and great battery are my favorite features
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took it on a 5 day cross country trip - by the time we landed my wife put her iWatch into power save mode reducing it to a dumb digital watch, meanwhile I tracked a couple runs, my day’s sightseeing step-count and a few dips in the water without ever getting below 75% charge.

The screen is not very ambitious, it is I think backlit LCD. It looks like my kids old game boy, but that is the key to the great battery life. There are colors, GPS tracks following a workout and a push-button backlight for night time viewing.

It’s hard to go wrong at the prIce.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for suggestions, lots of good info to digest. At the minute I think I'm toying between Vivoactive 3 and FR 235, but have to admit I'm fascinated by this Amazfit device.

ST delivers, thanks guys.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 12, 18 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the Fenix 5x.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the vivoactive and replaced with a Fenix 3 (support for bike PM). Both wore daily. I think I charge around once a week (more if I actually use GPS).

I think the fenix is a sharper looking watch, bit the vivoactive 3 has a very similar look. My original vivoactive was smaller, definitely.

Vivoactive is a touch screen; Fenix is not. Can't comment on other watches (I had a 910xt but very seldom wore, not a daily use watch in any case).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into a 1st generation vivoactive. It's much smaller than the Fenix, or subsequent vivoactives. You can get one for ~$50 on eBay these days. It works with HRM straps, bike speed/cadence meters, etc. (not with power meters though) that use Ant+. It syncs with your iPhone or Android phone, has great battery life, and has swim measurement and GLONAS GPS.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ten days ago I bought the Forerunner 935, replacing my Fenix 3, and I love it!

The 935 is basically the Fenix 5 in a plastic case, much smaller, lighter, easier to live with. Long battery life, great software. Expensive ($500), but awesome. I've worn this everyday for the last two weeks, race IM 70.3 Boulder with it, gone for a few runs since, slept with it on. Very easy to live with. The Fenix 3 was way too hard to live with as a daily watch (too big, too heavy, you always know you're wearing it, doesn't fit under some long sleeves).

The Forerunner 935 has none of those drawbacks, and excellent battery life. I charged it yesterday for the first time since I bought it, and it was fully charged in less than 2 hours. Maybe even shorter, since I wasn't paying close attention.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...35-depth-review.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 3, which I also wear as my daily watch. Battery is fine to good. Aesthetically - no one has teased me about it. People have teased me about my previous watch choices, so it's probably an upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well since you didn’t give a budget I will throw this one out there for you to consider...

https://www.tagheuer.com/.../tag-heuer-connected
Quote Reply
Re: Daily wearable GPS run watch [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second the first gen Vivoactive with one caveat... do not wear it while doing any kind of manual labor. It is a little fragile when exposed to lots of dirt. My main button sticks, which is a pain during workouts, you'll push it and not realize it didn't take until you look down to see your pace after 15 min of running only to see it didn't start.

I recently upgraded to a Fenix 5x, but I'll still wear it occasionally if I forget to charge up the Fenix. It is VERY light and the battery lasts a very long time when not in GPS mode.
Quote Reply

Prev Next