Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9
Quote | Reply
On paper the DT Swiss disc seems the clear winner, wider rim optimised for 28mm tyres, lighter, a cool valve cover rather than crappy stickers (seriously... I can't believe Zipp still expect you to use stickers to cover a hole on a wheel that costs as much as many peoples car..), better hub, looks better (IMHO the latest Zipp super 9 graphics look cheap and cringe).

How is the brand recognition though for resale? Everyone knows zipp, if/when I were to sell a DT Swiss disc do you think it woukd be harder than a Zipp?
Last edited by: lastlap: Jun 24, 22 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably a harder sell since Zipps seem to hold their resale value pretty well.

IDK if optimized for 28mm ties is a selling point. There just isn't a fast 28mm tire on the market right now. Maybe in a few months to a year.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If cost is a big factor, consider Swiss Side (same wheel) which is a bit cheaper.
Had undergone the same choices and went with Swiss Side, but a big appeal of Zipp for me was their warranty is much better and domestic (if you're US-based).
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP5000's come in 28mm? As do the Pirelli Pzero, Michelin Power competition etc?
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [nonobovey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nonobovey wrote:
If cost is a big factor, consider Swiss Side (same wheel) which is a bit cheaper.
Had undergone the same choices and went with Swiss Side, but a big appeal of Zipp for me was their warranty is much better and domestic (if you're US-based).

Thanks, cost isn't so much a factor but I am mindful of resale and as Brian mentioned Zipps do seem to hold their value. I look at purchases like this as almost renting, sure its a big outlay but it's not a total sunk cost, I can recoup much of it when I sell at a later date.

I guess whether the DT Swiss hold their value is harder to gauge given how new they are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe not qualify under your rental program as I doubt it would hold a greater % of resale value over a big name but I'd get the Light Bicycle disc, 21mm internal, 28.. ext. Built with DT Swiss 240, 1204 gm +- 50g. Has the plastic valve cover, 5yr warranty, $1282 shipped to the US. I have a set of 55mm Falcon aero wheels that have been awesome for 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen one of the LB discs in the wild? I’d like to pull the trigger but not thrilled with being a guinea pig
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Lightbicycle Disc and I’m completely disappointed. I upgraded to a DT350 hub. Overall first Impression was great. Easy tubeless installation, great valve cover, etc.
But the Wheel is too wide and you can’t adjust the disc break saddle. So I disassembled the whole hub to see that the hub is not from DT Swiss. Only the ratchet. And the hub body itself is too narrow for the axle. So if you reassemble the bearings into the hub you’ll always will push out one of the bearings. So now I’ll have a good looking piece of rubbish lying around…
Maybe I’m just the unlucky one, but the hub is definitely not completely from DT Swiss.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [Julian3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian3000 wrote:
I ordered a Lightbicycle Disc and I’m completely disappointed. I upgraded to a DT350 hub. Overall first Impression was great. Easy tubeless installation, great valve cover, etc.
But the Wheel is too wide and you can’t adjust the disc break saddle. So I disassembled the whole hub to see that the hub is not from DT Swiss. Only the ratchet. And the hub body itself is too narrow for the axle. So if you reassemble the bearings into the hub you’ll always will push out one of the bearings. So now I’ll have a good looking piece of rubbish lying around…
Maybe I’m just the unlucky one, but the hub is definitely not completely from DT Swiss.

Wow - really? When did you order it? What do you mean by “too wide”? I feel like this should be a thread onto itself if this thing is really just not up to par. I have some LB Falcon Pro AR55s that have been great but discs seem like they could be tricky for manufacturers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It arrived a few weeks ago.
By "too wide" I mean that it has not the dimension of 12x142, but 12x144.
Because the bearing is too wide out of the hub body the end cap does not fit and the axis gets too long.
I talked with DT Swiss (great customer service) and they told me that it seems that the hub is not from DT Swiss. I could not find a DT Swiss serial anywhere on the hub.
I also have a pair of Lightbicycle rims and I would totally recommend it, but the disc wheel is in my case pure crap. Maybe I just got the lemon and usually it is a great wheel, but just consider, that not everything is from DT Swiss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, sorry to hear that but appreciate the heads up.

Anyone have any thoughts on the HED Vanquish disc? Little bit cheaper at 2100 but seems like a modern competitive disc and 21 internal width. But it’s spoked… Also wondering about the Aerocoach discs at the lower price point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a lower price disc wheel this could be an option

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...-wheel/rp-prod198680
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julian3000 wrote:
It arrived a few weeks ago.
By "too wide" I mean that it has not the dimension of 12x142, but 12x144.
Because the bearing is too wide out of the hub body the end cap does not fit and the axis gets too long.
I talked with DT Swiss (great customer service) and they told me that it seems that the hub is not from DT Swiss. I could not find a DT Swiss serial anywhere on the hub.
I also have a pair of Lightbicycle rims and I would totally recommend it, but the disc wheel is in my case pure crap. Maybe I just got the lemon and usually it is a great wheel, but just consider, that not everything is from DT Swiss.

Y
Wow that super disappointing. I assume you’ve reached out to LB? They’ve always been very responsive with emails…I’m sure they would try to make it right. Did they list it as 12x144? Could you have recourse with your CC company?
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss disc versus Zipp super 9 [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
If you are looking for a lower price disc wheel this could be an option

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...-wheel/rp-prod198680

Thanks, placed an order today. Reviews seem quite good and finally a smart solution to the valve cavity-a screw on cap. Whilst a little slow to access in a race situation its better than crappy stickers, and velcro tends to have habit of losing its stick after a while.
Quote Reply