Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I am considering to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF. The two Di2 models they sell either come with the DT Swiss Arc 1400 or the Zipp Firecrest, of which the latter adds a €1000 to the price.

I saw that the Zipp wheels do not support tubeless while the DT Swiss wheels do. Would you say the Zipp wheels make the extra 1000 worth it, also considering its the older model - not supporting tubeless? Or should I go for the DT Swiss wheels now and upgrade to completely different wheels later on?

Your help here is really appriciated! Thanks,

Laurens
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [Laurens4790] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the DT Swiss wheels on my bike now and like them a lot. Have had the Zipps on another bike and don’t really notice any difference between them.

If the lack of tubeless is an issue then easy decision. I won’t ride tubeless so that wouldn’t matter to me. Zipps definitely add to bling factor on the bike but not sure you are loosing much if anything between them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DT240 hub is a really great piece of equipment. Paying €1000 extra for something that seems to be the holy grail of Zipp doesn’t really make sense to me. €1000 is more than I paid for my set of lightly used tubeless ready Hed Jet 6 and disc combo.

Daniela Ryf seems to go pretty fast on the DTswiss wheels.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks both. This is helpfull info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the dtswiss wheels!

I have them on my canyon and they are the beesknees, quiet hubs too; But holy hell are they scary in the wet
and a fyi, if you get wheelbuilder aero jacket. The cutout didn't fit over the non driveside hub, so i had to cut a bigger hole myself. I haven't gotten around to contacting wheelbuilder about it but either the 240 hub dimensions have changed or they just sent me the wrong size cut.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden extensively on both and would go with the DT Swiss wheels without hesitation.

Aero wise, there is nothing in it, and naturally according to DT Swiss's data, they are faster than 808 NSWs nevermind firecrest in most situations.

Ride quality wise, they are stiffer than my 808s and so I don't get brake rub. Braking feel and function is the same. The 240 hubs are awesome and LOUD when you free wheel. No issue with the ARCs in crosswinds. I certainly wouldn't be paying $1000E more to get the Zipp, I prefer the DT Swiss. (I have both wheel sets and could race/train on either based solely on what I like.) I got the 808s super cheap from tribike rental (The set I bought had one previous user according to tribike and they certainly looked in top condition when I got them) at the end of Kona 2017 and later was offered the DT Swiss wheels to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you call those hubs loud? much much quieter than my cosine 32 alloys or Reynolds strike wheels. Though not as quiet as my shimano rs11s

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
The 240 hubs are awesome and LOUD when you free wheel
LOUD means the two star ratchets are due for a new coat of DT Swiss special grease. My 240s rear hub is as quiet as a mouse when coasting.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never ridden the Zipps - I have the DT Swiss wheels on my Speedmax and they are great, they look pretty look eyeball-aero with GP5000 TLs on them.

I will echo the point on these being scary in the wet and I would say that in general the braking is not great. I'd recommend a buying a cheap pair of training wheels if you're riding congested roads and trails, which would still leave you with cash in your pocket vs. the zipps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an Canyon Aeroad with the DT Swiss Dicut 1100s (62mm). They perform as one would expect for wheels of that depth. I've ridden them DH at 40+ MPH in crosswinds with no issues. They are very nice build an come with valves for setting up tubeless.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss arc 1400 dicut versus Zipp Firecrest [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Darren325 wrote:
The 240 hubs are awesome and LOUD when you free wheel

LOUD means the two star ratchets are due for a new coat of DT Swiss special grease. My 240s rear hub is as quiet as a mouse when coasting.

I'll ask DT Swiss about it! I live in Taiwan and the maintenance on my wheels is factory support from the guys who build the wheels themselves. I have the 54T ratchet...there's always a least a 1000m of climbing on any road in taiwan!
Quote Reply