Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DL legal wheels?
Quote | Reply
I'm reading the regulations for draft legal racing, and it appears to me that pretty much any aero-wheels are allowed, as long as they aren't discs and have 12+ spokes

Am I right about that Slowtwitch? So even very deep wheels are legal in DL competition?
Quote Reply
Re: DL legal wheels? [automorphic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes this year or last year they went away from regulating the wheels to essentially no discs, both wheels have to be same size, and I believe either 12 or 16 min spoke.

In previous years only certain brands were allowed. It had to deal with the uci regulation list.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: DL legal wheels? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Yes this year or last year they went away from regulating the wheels to essentially no discs, both wheels have to be same size, and I believe either 12 or 16 min spoke.

In previous years only certain brands were allowed. It had to deal with the uci regulation list.

My brothers girlfriend rode a draft legal qualifier with 60/90 wheels, i doubt they even looked at spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: DL legal wheels? [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done DL with 60/90 and 60/60 HED Jets. If I were to do another I'd likely use the 60/60 or my HED Ardennes.
Quote Reply
Re: DL legal wheels? [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The spokes arent really the issue as so few wheel companies make wheels that aren't compliant that you can pretty much determine if the spoke count is good simply by glancing at a bike. Almost all wheel companies make the approved 16 spokes (I'm having a brain fart but i believe it's 16), and so you can pretty much tell right away if it has that many or if it doesnt. The issues used to wheels within the same company were and weren't legal, and then you had to figure out which wheel was what. Like HED's, not all HED's were approved, etc only certain sets; which made for a very pain in the ass process for both the racer and the officials checking the wheels.....especially if you took the decals off the wheels. So they went away from using the UCI approved wheel list to simply making it no discs, no tri spoke, and same wheel dimensions for both front/rear. Much easier process now, and I think they also have seen so rare of wheel integrity issues that they just sorta allow any set of wheels now.

And the whole thing about the uci approved list- the manufactor had to pay to have the wheels certified testing and thus some companies wanted no part of that- Flo wheels was like that. So for a long time Flo wheels were illegal to use if it had any rim depth below a standard low profile "training wheel"....and yes I saw them before measuring the depth of the rims and arguing over 1-2mm.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The spokes arent really the issue as so few wheel companies make wheels that aren't compliant that you can pretty much determine if the spoke count is good simply by glancing at a bike. Almost all wheel companies make the approved 16 spokes (I'm having a brain fart but i believe it's 16), and so you can pretty much tell right away if it has that many or if it doesnt. The issues used to wheels within the same company were and weren't legal, and then you had to figure out which wheel was what. Like HED's, not all HED's were approved, etc only certain sets; which made for a very pain in the ass process for both the racer and the officials checking the wheels.....especially if you took the decals off the wheels. So they went away from using the UCI approved wheel list to simply making it no discs, no tri spoke, and same wheel dimensions for both front/rear. Much easier process now, and I think they also have seen so rare of wheel integrity issues that they just sorta allow any set of wheels now.

And the whole thing about the uci approved list- the manufactor had to pay to have the wheels certified testing and thus some companies wanted no part of that- Flo wheels was like that. So for a long time Flo wheels were illegal to use if it had any rim depth below a standard low profile "training wheel"....and yes I saw them before measuring the depth of the rims and arguing over 1-2mm.

Thanks B_Doughtie and others! This matches with what I read in the rulebook. I'm just so used to having a bunch of random rules to follow that it freaked me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

For the record, our wheels are now approved by the UCI. The following wheels are approved:

FLO 45 Carbon Clincher
FLO 60 Carbon Clincher
FLO 90 Carbon Clincher
FLO 30 Aluminum
FLO 60 Aluminum + Carbon (Current Model)
FLO 90 Aluminum + Carbon (Current Model)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply