Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DIY bikefit
Quote | Reply
I've been on my BMC TM02 for 2 years now and it's going great. Over the years I've tinkered with my saddle height, position, stem height etc and have what I think is a reasonably good position. With my previous bike, (P2) I was badgered by people to get a bikefit, telling me I'd go so much faster, it would transform my riding etc so it was greatly disappointing that after my bike fit I didn't start challenging the pros.

The bike fitter is quite reputable and uses RETUL so he know's his shit. I spent a few hours there and he played around with a few things, but very little was changed. I certainly didn't go faster or feel more comfortable, my wallet, however was noticeably lighter. I'm now getting deja-vu as I'm getting nagged to get another bike fit on my BMC, I'm just loathe to fork out $300 to have a few micro-adjustments. I have no issues with pain or muscle soreness on the bike or running off it and feel very comfortable on the bike. There are some minor adjustments I want to make removing a spacer to get a sightly more aggressive position. Does anyone DIY bikefit or always get a pro to do it?
Last edited by: zedzded: Nov 4, 19 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: DIY bikefit [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only done it myself, I've got too many bikes to justify the expense, and one of the things I enjoy is taking different bikes out to appreciate the differences in materials, geometry, groups, etc; I'm sort of a "poor man's Jay Leno," I guess.

One of these days, I'll pick ONE road and ONE tri bike and have a pro do it, but I have the same fear as you...I'll be out $600 + whatever parts they say I need, and have two bikes that aren't substantially different than what I started with.

I'm fortunate in that I'm able to ride almost anything remotely approximating my size...I'm roughly a size 56-58, but I did my first 3 triathlons and my first century on a 52" Cervelo P2K, I never realized it was far too small for me until I'd been riding for a year or so. I have no doubt that a pro can optimize your fit, but I'm thinking 1) some can get pretty close on their own, and 2) others don't really need everything optimized to maximize performance.

Just my humble opinion, I'm sure it will be in the minority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a website that would take a screengrab from a video and let you drag handles around and show the angles?

I know there's an iOS app that does it, but I'm on Android.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY bikefit [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
obstri.com has that function - subsite off of it I think...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a decent video of yourself on trainer from side on (there's a post somewhere saying how to do it) and some great bike fitters here will give you advice for free...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As previous poster mentions, take a video following guidance in this post and start a thread entitled "Bike Fit Critique Video" and you will get tonnes of excellent advice.
Quote Reply