Prev Next
Re: DIY Saddle [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
diyman wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
diyman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
For a custom-made / hand-made saddle, I would say that is very impressive for a 1st or 2nd effort.

Can you say more about how you designed it, and then how you made it ?

Thanks for your comments,

It has taken about a year for me to reach this point as I have been doing this on holidays.

I made the designed in 3D by computer and then I printed molds. Then the rest was made by hand.

Here is a picture of the tools I used.

Looks pretty good, this is why I wish I had a 3D printer and a 3D scanner, I wanna make my own shoes, and was thinking if I could create a two piece mold for the outside and use a bladder on the inside, I could reproduce a lot easier then having to make a new mold everytime since you need to destroy the plaster mold to get it out of the new shoe.......unless there is another way besides making the show in two pieces or a big opening on the top part.

How many layers of carbon fiber did you use?

As far as bringing this to market, there are a couple of companies that make custom saddles (and use a similar process as is used for custom shoes). They are right at the $285 mark for a basic saddle (upgrade for carbon rails or type of shell). They also allow you to design your own saddle based on your measurements. If you could do it for that price or less you would have a decent market but at that price point I think you would be hard pressed to make a lot of money. Sending the package too and from, time spent uploading measurements, software for adjustability of saddle design, carbon fiber/ padding and top covering. They also offer a 2 year warranty. Not saying it cant be done but it might be very tough to compete

Hi,

Interesting idea to make your own shoes. So you would like them to be carbon fiber also from the top, not just the bottom right?
If the whole shoe would be CF I guess you would need a really really perfect fit to avoid any blisters. That bladder sounds good. I have seen that they use bladders a lot in bike frame manufacturing. But perhaps you could also print the inner part of the mold but you would just make it from multiple parts. For example three parallel parts where you can take the center part out first and release space that way to be able to take also the peripheral parts out.

I quite much agree on your comments what it comes to commercialization. I have my daily job so at the moment I cannot be a full time saddle maker and as you said it would still be quite a challenge to make it profitable. What I have been thinking lately is that if I could get a fair amount of interest towards my saddle I could perhaps think a bit more professional and cost effective ways of manufacturing the saddle. This would mean decent metallic molds and industrial protocols to cure the carbon fiber. I definetly don’t want to risk my health by starting to play with toxic resins on a daily basis in unprofessional circumstances. But if one day I am in a situation that I would have a hundred pre orders waiting for the saddle to be manufactured, maybe at that point I could establish a professional manufacturing protocol which I could use to make these saddles couple of hundreds more with reasonable costs and within a reasonable timeframe.

For my current saddle I used around 12-14 layers of carbon fiber. One layer was around 0,33mm and I was aiming for 4mm total thickness. Around the titanium rails the thickness is much more just to be sure it can hold the rider’s weight.

-diyman

Did you only use weave or did you also go with UD?

I used weave but in narrower parts of the mold especially around the rails it basically became unidirectional automatically because I had to cut so narrow sheets of the roll so the crossing fibers were more or less removed at the same time and only the long unidirectional fibers were left.

http://www.ramusseat.com
https://www.instagram.com/ramusseat
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [diyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you used UD and some core materials you could get a lot more strength with less carbon fiber but it would take a lof of experimentation and I would suggest a mold of where you wanted to sit leaving the under side open for the vacuum bag.

Also, idk if you did a regular wet layup or infused it (I have yet to experiment with it), but thats something different.

Another suggestion might be to design it so the rails could be moved? May or may not be worth considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked out your instagram and your saddle looks super interesting! When you start taking orders, I'll be on the list!! But really, how could I go about getting one? really cool!
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [daudino_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daudino_tri wrote:
I checked out your instagram and your saddle looks super interesting! When you start taking orders, I'll be on the list!! But really, how could I go about getting one? really cool!

Hi,
thank you for the support :-)

I have got some interest towards the saddle lately and I have also been asked that could I provide a demo saddle. At the moment I have that one and only carbon fiber seat which has been the topic of this thread. Then I have also one 3D printed version which I just tested yesterday. I made an Instagram post of that saddle as well so you can see the pictures there (the green/black saddle).

For me I would say that this latest version felt actually even slightly better than the carbon fiber one. The shape is basically the same, but the main difference is the padding. I found a new 5mm thick padding material which I glued on top of the seat. After the first 36km test ride on rainy conditions everything seemed OK. The padding is still tightly on its place and I didn't notice any wear, but of course more testing is needed to see how it really survives. The padding I used on my carbon fiber saddle was a bit thinner and also gets compressed a bit easier. This new padding feels more stiffer. It is a bit hard to describe, but if we think a scale where sponge (very elastic but not stiff) is in the other end and rubber (also elastic but much stiffer) is in the other end, the new padding is more towards the rubber and the padding on the carbon fiber seat is a bit closer to the sponge.

So as you can see above I still have some R&D issues going on :-) But after receiving some encouraging contacts recently I am getting more and more exited about this project.

If you would really want to be an early bird and you would like to get a similar saddle as that green/black one seen on Instagram, I think I would be able to get it for you 3D printed by an industry grade 3D printer. At least weight shouldn't be a problem. The one that I have printed with my own printer weights around 115g.
The carbon fiber version is a bit more challenging to manufacture and getting that for you would definetly take more time, but I have brainstorming going on with that as well.

Let me hear what you think,

-diyman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,
maybe it is time to introduce myself so you know who is behind the diyman nickname.
My name is Erik Huotari and I come from Espoo Finland. I have been studying medical technology in my past and I also currently work with medical devices concerning orthopedic surgeries.
So anatomy and bones are in my mind more or less all the time :-) I guess that background has a major part in the history of my saddle design. It was obvious to me to look at pelvic anatomy right in the beginning when I started to figure out how that saddle should look like. That's how the idea of support for ramus bones evolved.

As I wrote in my previous posts I have named the saddle now as Ramus. As a matter of fact two Ramus prototypes are in the USA at the moment. After an incredible coincidence those two saddles were actually picked up by a triathlete right here from Finland. Maybe we will hear some testing comments soon here at Slowtwitch as well.

I have discussed about my saddle project also with my employer and got a green light to work with the saddle during my spare time. So I decided to establish a company and the next step is to open up a website for Ramus. I have also had discussions with my local companies about manufacturing options. It looks promising that these manufacturing issues could be solved during this winter. It seems that industrial 3D printing technology could do the job. I will order first prints as soon as I get my company's registration finished. Then it will be a time for extreme testing.

I have also done some fine tuning to my design lately. Here is a rendered picture of the latest edition with a Ramus logo on the bottles as well :-)
So there will be a bottle rack option too.

[inline "RAMUS R1 pullotelineellä taustan kera giffi.gif"]

Best regards,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
diyman wrote:
Hello,
maybe it is time to introduce myself so you know who is behind the diyman nickname.
My name is Erik Huotari and I come from Espoo Finland. I have been studying medical technology in my past and I also currently work with medical devices concerning orthopedic surgeries.
So anatomy and bones are in my mind more or less all the time :-) I guess that background has a major part in the history of my saddle design. It was obvious to me to look at pelvic anatomy right in the beginning when I started to figure out how that saddle should look like. That's how the idea of support for ramus bones evolved.

As I wrote in my previous posts I have named the saddle now as Ramus. As a matter of fact two Ramus prototypes are in the USA at the moment. After an incredible coincidence those two saddles were actually picked up by a triathlete right here from Finland. Maybe we will hear some testing comments soon here at Slowtwitch as well.

I have discussed about my saddle project also with my employer and got a green light to work with the saddle during my spare time. So I decided to establish a company and the next step is to open up a website for Ramus. I have also had discussions with my local companies about manufacturing options. It looks promising that these manufacturing issues could be solved during this winter. It seems that industrial 3D printing technology could do the job. I will order first prints as soon as I get my company's registration finished. Then it will be a time for extreme testing.

I have also done some fine tuning to my design lately. Here is a rendered picture of the latest edition with a Ramus logo on the bottles as well :-)
So there will be a bottle rack option too.

Best regards,
Erik

Once again I have some troubles uploading the pictures.
Let's see if it works now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Erik,
I'd love to try one of your prototypes. I've tried many (8+) saddles and so far I haven't found anything that hasn't caused some degree of numbness especially as my position evolved as longer, lower and with ability to put out more power.
I'm currently on a Shimano Pro Trifuel and it's tolerable but not ideal. I've tried Cobb 55, Hilo RXL, ISM PN3, Dash Stage, Cobb Max, Fabric.
Out of these the Hilo RXL was the one I've used for longer but just can't get comfortable on it anymore in my position. I've been on the Shimano Pro since January or so.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable with bike fitting. The flaw with many of these saddles is that the relief channel is often placed too far back. You're supposed to sit on the front supporting your weight on the ramus bones but the two prongs at the tip often are too close together and end up compressing the soft tissue in between.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, I would just suggest putting your IG link in your signature so more people could view it.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Nice work, I would just suggest putting your IG link in your signature so more people could view it.

Cheers,
Maurice

Hi Maurice,
Thank you for a very good tip. It is nice that the link appears now to all of my previous posts as well.

-Erik

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
Hi Erik,
I'd love to try one of your prototypes. I've tried many (8+) saddles and so far I haven't found anything that hasn't caused some degree of numbness especially as my position evolved as longer, lower and with ability to put out more power.
I'm currently on a Shimano Pro Trifuel and it's tolerable but not ideal. I've tried Cobb 55, Hilo RXL, ISM PN3, Dash Stage, Cobb Max, Fabric.
Out of these the Hilo RXL was the one I've used for longer but just can't get comfortable on it anymore in my position. I've been on the Shimano Pro since January or so.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable with bike fitting. The flaw with many of these saddles is that the relief channel is often placed too far back. You're supposed to sit on the front supporting your weight on the ramus bones but the two prongs at the tip often are too close together and end up compressing the soft tissue in between.

Hi,

I think I know what you mean. I also tried at first to use a saddle with a relief channel with my triathlon bike and ended up getting that compression.

Just send me a private message and we can discuss further how you could get a protoype for testing. I have just opened up a Whatsapp group for those who are willing to try the protos.

Cheers,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Here comes a little update of the RAMUS project.

First of all the world's first RAMUS saddle has been officially sold last week and it's on its way to Texas for a 36 time Ironman finisher and Team Zoot captain Christian Wendenburg.
I hope the saddle kit will be perfect for you!

I have been working hard during the winter to make RAMUS available for everybody. I have found good partners for materials and the saddle can be manufactured with an industrial 3D printer which gives the saddle very good mechanical strength.

During the winter I have developed four different versions (two widths with a bit more flat edges and two widths with curved edges) of the saddle and also a special fine tuning feature which is changeable seat pads.
So when you buy a RAMUS saddle you actually buy a modular system which you can fine tune with these changeable seat pads if needed.
One thing that I just recently noticed from another Slowtwitch forum post is the stickiness of the saddle surface. I learned that even the pros are using special grip aids to avoid sliding on the saddle.
This is one issue which could be easily adjusted with these changeable pads not to mention softness preferences. Also possible pelvic bone asymmetry issues could be compensated with different height seat pads for each side of the saddle.

I am at the moment finishing final details to bring these saddles to market and I will be sending them out for reviews.
The "stock" version will have specially selected grippy EVA material seat pads. The material is dermatologically tested and it won't suck water.
You will be able to choose the pads for your saddle from two stiffness's (firm or softer). That softer padding material is the last thing that I am still waiting for, but I should get it from the factory by the end of this month. I have a very good source for the padding materials now. If somebody wishes for example even softer padding I could be able to get multiple variations of the padding material as a custom made project.

You can take a look at more details how the RAMUS story has evolved from the Instagram page.

Best regards,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello again,

project RAMUS goes forward. You can now order the saddle from https://www.ramusseat.com. I just got payment systems up and running so Visa and Mastercard should work.

I’m eagerly waiting for comments from UK as I have sent one saddle for review to a triathlon magazine, hopefully there will come an article online soon.

I have also made a RAMUS themed cycling jersey available to the RAMUS site. If you are planning to buy a new jersey, check this out: https://www.ramusseat.com/showroom/ramus-jersey

I am about to make the jersey order in the beginning of May so place your order before that if you want to join the order and give some boost for my saddle project.

Cheers,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Few questions:

1. What's the base of the saddle made from? The original looks like it's carbon, but the latest samples look like they are a plastic polymer.

2. How durable is the foam? Does it get slippery when wet?

3. The website says that a leather top is available. How much extra is that? Are the pads still interchangeable with the leather?

4. Which saddle best matches the prototypes, flat or curved?

5. Do you have the saddle dimensions? Length, nose width, rail length, weight, etc?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi gmh39 and thank you for your questions!

Here come my answers:

1. What's the base of the saddle made from? The original looks like it's carbon, but the latest samples look like they are a plastic polymer.
Yes the original was made from carbon fiber and I had also 3D printed prototypes made by a hobby level 3D printer in the beginning.
The current frame is 3D printed nylon material. It is printed with an industrial HP 3D printer utilizing multijet fusion technology. You can check out videos of the printing process from my Instagram page. This technology enables to make very durable yet lightweight products so I have deciced to stay away from carbon fiber so far. 3D printing technology also keeps the door open for design changes if necessary. I found a very nice site where you can see many tests made to this material: https://forerunner3d.com/...r-mjf-part-strength/ It is really strong stuff but it still has flexibility in it so it won’t brake by cracking apart.

2. How durable is the foam? Does it get slippery when wet?
The current foam that I am using is much more durable than a regular EVA foam that I experimented first. The material that I am using now comes from Germany from a company which manufactures materials for custom made shoe insoles and prostheses paddings. The most durable version is the firm padding version as it has the highest rubber content and it is also heavier because of the higher rubber content. The softer version is of course not as durable as the firm but still that soft padding too is stiffer material compared to regular EVA. It is a bit hard to describe how durable it is by words. Maybe I could do some video of these seat pads to give you better idea of their durability. I think the feeling an properties of this material are quite close to the material that is used for example in go cart steering wheels.

About getting slippery. I actually did a test :-) I went to shower with my cycling shorts and then jumped on my bike on the trainer. No they don’t get slippery, I would say that there might have been even more grip when wet. The fabric of the cycling shorts kept its contact with the saddle very well. The foam material is dermatologically tested and has a closed cell structure. The closed cell structure prevents the foam material from sucking water, so you can make the surface dry very easy just by wiping it.

3. The website says that a leather top is available. How much extra is that? Are the pads still interchangeable with the leather?
If you decide to take the saddle with leather covered seat pads then the saddle price goes from 199+99€ to 298€. The leather itself as a material adds costs and also the upholstering is significantly more time consuming process compared to the pure foam version. I also have a contact in Great Britain who might be able to make very special customizations to those seat pads, but I cannot say about those prices anything at this point.

The seat pads are still interchangeable if you take the leather upholstering. There is no problem to change from leather version pads to uncovered ones so you can use whatever pads you like whenever you like.

4. Which saddle best matches the prototypes, flat or curved?
The flat RAMUS 140 matches the prototypes almost 100% and I have that on my own bike currently. My sit bone width is 120mm so that’s the reason for my choice. I can use also the 135 which has curved edges and there is not a big difference especially in aero position compared to the 140, but still the 140 feels even better for me as it gives a bit more bone contact with the saddle in the posterior parts of my ramus bones and gives a bit more clearance for soft tissues in the center compared to the 135.

Those are my measurements and feelings, but then if you have for example a 100mm sit bone width, RAMUS 115 and 120 would be my suggestions in that case.

5. Do you have the saddle dimensions? Length, nose width, rail length, weight, etc?
Each saddle has been described on the RAMUS website and you can check the dimensions from there.
Here is an example of the 140 dimensions:
  • Width from the widest part: without seat pads: 138mm, with seat pads: 142mm
  • Width from the narrowest part: without seat pads: 52mm, with seat pads: 58mm
  • Length: 175mm (not UCI legal)
  • Weight: 162g (measured with 5mm firm seat pads)
  • Grade 5 titanium rails: 73mm x 7mm

I hope I answered clearly enough to your questions. Feel free to bring in more questions. I think I will start making a FAQ section to the RAMUS site soon, so the more questions you ask the better :-)

Best regards,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Erik, I appreciate the thorough reply!

Curious, does anyone use this saddle on with a more standard road position (as oppsed to a tri/TT position)?

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Apr 11, 20 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only given those saddles to test for triathletes so far.
But I don’t see any particular reason why it wouldn’t work on road biking as well.
As the rear of the saddle gets wider it accomodates well to your change of posture.
As you raise your posture more up your pelvis tilts upwards at the same time and most of the weight goes to sit bones.
Then if you lean forward and tilt your pelvis forward, the weight starts to shift towards your ramus bones to the narrower area of the saddle front.

It may feel a bit strange at first when you don’t have the nose in the saddle, but I don’t see any other issues why you couldn’t use it on a road bike too. Of course another issue is the length of the saddle, as it is not UCI legal it prevents you from using it on road bike racing.

I think that numbness issues can be avoided in road biking quite effectively just by getting a saddle with a relief channel and checking that the saddle is wide enough. However when I started using a triathlon bike I noticed that the relief channel didn’t help anymore in aero position as the weight shifts almost totally to the nose of the saddle starting to put pressure on your soft tissues including perineal nerves and urethra. That’s the key point why I started to figure out my own design and noticed that there might be a chance to get the presssure out from soft tissues if you could make a saddle which follows anatomic bone structures of your pelvis which in this case are those ramus bones.

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Hi Erik,

I've historically been a lurker rather then a poster.
However I wanted to resurrect this thread to say that I ordered this saddle from Erik and have been very happy with the fit, shape and comfort it provides.

I have spent the first half of this year evaluating (and returning) many of the most popular tri saddles on the market, attempting to find something that would work for me as my position has continued to evolve.
Each of the other saddles I tried were all well designed and well made but IMO for me they all had the same problem: the cutout is not wide enough through the entire length of the saddle to support a proper tri position.
You're supposed to sit on the front of the saddle and rotate forward, supporting your weight on the ramus bones. But at this point the cutout is always too narrow to provide the appropriate pressure relief.

I happened to read G. Belson's post above and thought it perfectly described what I saw as the issue with other triathlon saddles.
I ordered ramus seat thinking that it seemed to be the only saddle design available that was designed to address this issue.
When I tried it for a few rides, I found that I could perceive the transfer of weight to my bone structure as much as possible.
With the much improved pressure relief I have also been able to mount the saddle without any tilt, which helps prevent the perception of "falling forward" that many get when they have to ride their saddles with even a moderate downward tilt.
This saddle is legit and I would recommend it to anyone who can relate to my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [TCoBGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to fully agree with the above post about Erik's Ramus saddle. I have the first Ramus made, and three interchangeable paddings for it. Erik made is very solid saddle, and it performs exactly as designed. I have nothing but praise for his saddle, quality, and craftsmanship. Top notch all the way.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time I’ve seen this thread. That saddle looks amazing, probably going to order one.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Great to hear positive feedback!
Go ahead and send me an email if you are interested to discuss more about the saddles.
You can contact me via this forum or just send email to info(at)ramusseat.com.

I am personally currently preparing to my first ever triathlon race. I’m going to attend to an olympic distance event 26. of July and it’s going to be a race deput for Ramus saddle too! I am very excited to see how it goes :-)

I did a 40km cycling + 5k run test session yesterday. I have done only a couple of this kind of combination sessions during this year and those that I have done have been on very easy pace. Yesterday I tried to simulate a race situation and I was quite surprised how easy the running felt after the cycling which I pushed pretty hard. At first legs felt kind of soft for the running but after a 1km they started to work pretty well.

I haven’t finished my ”strategy” for the race yet, but at the moment I am thinking to take the swimming easy focusing on good technique which will hopefully result a better time compared to over trying and loosing the technique.
For the cycling it seems after the yesterday’s test that I can put very much energy on it.
The more I save time in cycling the more it gives me buffer to loose in running which is my weakest area. It feels now that I can go through the run in my ”comfort zone speed” even though I push hard on the bike. But if I try to save too much energy on the bike I feel that I cannot take that lost time back on running.

These are my newbie triathlete thoughts at the moment :-) It would be interesting to hear if someone has comments on my thoughts and maybe some good tips for the last two weeks for my preparation. My main plan is to focus these last two weeks on swimming. I see swimming as my asset, but as I have been focusing on my weaknesses my swimming amounts have dropped so now it’s time to fine tune that part before the race. For running and cycling my idea is to do some intervals and keep the overall training load very low until the race.

Best regards,
Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race done!

Now it’s done, my first olympic distance race :-)

Wow that was a very exciting experience and I definetly want to do these more.
Here is a short story about the race and how it went.

First of all I almost missed the start as I was forgetting all the time some of my gear to my car. T1 and T2 were in different places and that also took a bit more time than I had thought. So first lesson learned: take more time to get all the things in right places before the race starts.

Swim
I just managed to get my goggles on before the start whizzle. I was in the back of the 55 people group and felt a bit chaotic as I started to swim into that crowd. Then I felt that nothing is happening and people are getting forward very slowly. At this point I felt that OK I guess I just have to ”surf” among others and forget about my own pace. But then quite quickly the packed crowd started to spread and I was able to start going forward more or less on my own pace. Getting touched by other swimmers was a bit exciting at first but as no major hits happened I was able to relax my mind more and more as the swim went on. Reaching the turning point was one sort of goal as itself. After the turn I spotted two guys next to me and we came back almost side to side with a very nice pace. I was at position 22 after the swim.

Bike
After jumping on the bike I noticed that my breath rate was pretty high so eventually I had took the swim pretty hard in all the race excitment. I decided to start easy and wait for the breath to come down a bit. Cycling was done on a 10km road section so the first 10km was also a good moment to see how the route goes. Soon my strategy was ready, I took the uphils pretty easy and tried to get more speed on flat areas. As I had passed around 25-30km I noticed that my avg speed is setting to 34km/h and I wanted to keep that until the end and I was able to do it. I lost two positions on the bike so I started running 24th.

Run
Right after I took the first running steps the reality slapped me in the face. My legs didn’t feel at all as fresh as I had felt in my test efforts before the race. Some refreshening maybe happened after few kilometers, but it was pretty clear from the beginnig that my main focus will be just to be able to go through the 10km without walking. ”Running” pace ended up being 6.50/km and I was spending my time looking at other competitors passing me. Some of them changed a few words with me as they went by which was very nice :-) I didn’t walk and I reached the finish line at position 44. I had decided that I will look at the total time for the first time after the finish line and it showed 2.54.14. After that very slow run I was happily surprised that I was able to break that 3h mark.

Nutrition
I tried to eat lot’s of carbs two days before the race as I had heard that this might be a good idea. During the day before the race I ate pretty much normally ending the day with four hot dogs :-) On the race morning I had some porridge and coffee and I felt that my energy levels were OK. I drunk one 700cc bottle of water mixed with 23g carbs gel and an electrolyte tablet as I was waiting for the race to start. I placed the same kind of fluid to transition area as I was thinking to take in some fluid during the transitions, but I did that only when I came from the bike. I had on the bike one 700c bottle where I had two of those gels and also one electrolyte tablet mixed with water. I took in all the fluid that I had during the bike ride and I would have hoped to have a bit more fluid. I think next time I will put two bottles on the bike, maybe the other doesn’t have to be full, but with one bottle I ran out of fluids a little bit too early. For the run I took 2 x those same gels. First gel I took at the T2 and the second one after half an hour of running. Somehow the second gel didn’t feel so good anymore. I felt that my performance was getting actually worse after the second gel, but it’s hard to tell how would it have felt without it. There were fluids available on the running course in every 2,5km and I used them every time, but still I felt some cold shivers at the end of the run so the second bottle on the bike might have been a good idea in that sense too.

All in all the race was a very nice experience and I had been able to built enough stamina to get through the race with positive feelings!
Now it’s time to rest and start making a training plan for the next year. I already have a list of books waiting for reading to get some guidance for the next season. Let’s hope that next year there will be more races available for everybody.

This was also a nice test for the Ramus saddle. I was able to rack the bike from the saddle nose even though the nose is so short. Now I also tested in race conditions that the padding is not slippery when you ride with it on a wet triathlon suit.

Take a look at ramusseat on Instagram if you want to see some photos from the race.

Happy training and racing for everybody!
-Erik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delayed reply, congrats on your first race! I'll reach out to you regarding the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear. If you need any help putting into store. I know a couple of bike shop owners in Tampere. Just to show off your skill.
Hyvä homma. Olet heräsi mies.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Sorry for the delayed reply, congrats on your first race! I'll reach out to you regarding the saddle.

Thank you!
Yes, let’s be in touch,
-Erik

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Saddle [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
Great to hear. If you need any help putting into store. I know a couple of bike shop owners in Tampere. Just to show off your skill.
Hyvä homma. Olet heräsi mies.

Hi!
Sounds great and thank you for offering your help!
I have now all the demo saddles in hand so I could show them.

Let me know how we could proceed.
Best regards,
Erik

Quote Reply

Prev Next