Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DIY Chain wax
Quote | Reply
This might appeal to the friction weenies here...

cribs: 10:1 paraffin:PTFE powder
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could just skip the PTFE, and have one cheap ingredient. Available for $3/lb many places.

Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Or you could just skip the PTFE, and have one cheap ingredient. Available for $3/lb many places.
Straight wax is what I currently do. Works excellently (I found candles run much smoother than candle making pellets from the craft shop), super clean, chain seems to be lasting ages. Just interested that someone who has done more km than me and tested a bunch of products is sharing a simple and cheap recipe.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been waxing my chain with Gulf wax for 3 seasons now. I have literally not cleaned my drive train since I started waxing. To this day, you can run your hands down my chain, cassette ect… and not get a mark.

I rotate 2 chains. I can change a chain in less than a minute now
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I have been waxing my chain with Gulf wax for 3 seasons now. I have literally not cleaned my drive train since I started waxing. To this day, you can run your hands down my chain, cassette ect… and not get a mark.

I rotate 2 chains. I can change a chain in less than a minute now

Similar story here, super clean. I just go with molten speed wax. Yes more expensive than gulf wax, but a $20 bag easily lasts me over a year, so no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help me understand how it keeps your drive train so clean...does your cassette still not get dirty?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
Help me understand how it keeps your drive train so clean...does your cassette still not get dirty?

The wax does not attract dirt like oil based lubes do. You can literally run the chain through your hand, no residue.
The down side - typically only good for roughly 200 miles or so. So good to have a couple chains in rotation. Worth it for the cleanliness IMHO. And it just so happens that it typically tests as the fastest type of lube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same story here. I started it for the reported friction benefits. I keep doing it for the cleanliness aspect.

It's hard to express how nice it is to not have to be concerned with chain-black when changing wheels, replacing chains, dropping a chain, etc. Need to touch the chain? Just grab it---no hand washing/wiping on clothes after required. At worst you get a little dirty wax on your fingers that brushes off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:

For whatever reason, it just repels all dirt and grime. This includes your cassette, pulleys and cranks. No more calf tattoos
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Same story here. I started it for the reported friction benefits. I keep doing it for the cleanliness aspect.

It's hard to express how nice it is to not have to be concerned with chain-black when changing wheels, replacing chains, dropping a chain, etc. Need to touch the chain? Just grab it---no hand washing/wiping on clothes after required. At worst you get a little dirty wax on your fingers that brushes off.

I cannot find one drawback to waxing chains
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The drawback is the time required. I personally enjoy it, I like working on my bikes and the minimal effort involved is nothing to me.
But I also know a lot of people who literally don't know how to do the most basic adjustments on their bike, never clean their bike, and if I were to try to show them how to remove and wax their chains, they'd probably be in a daze with some drool dripping from their mouth......
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The drawback is the time required. I personally enjoy it, I like working on my bikes and the minimal effort involved is nothing to me.
But I also know a lot of people who literally don't know how to do the most basic adjustments on their bike, never clean their bike, and if I were to try to show them how to remove and wax their chains, they'd probably be in a daze with some drool dripping from their mouth......

I get the same response from people I run into. I guess it just sounds like a lot of work but it is the opposite. I can remove a chain, dip it in molten wax, let it soak while I put the freshly waxed chain on my bike and hang the soaking chain to dry in 3 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
spectrum5825 wrote:

The wax does not attract dirt like oil based lubes do. You can literally run the chain through your hand, no residue.
The down side - typically only good for roughly 200 miles or so. So good to have a couple chains in rotation. Worth it for the cleanliness IMHO. And it just so happens that it typically tests as the fastest type of lube.

As long as I’m not riding in the wet, I get 2-3 weeks out of waxed chain before it starts to squeak. That’s 5-700 miles. Dura-Ace chains seem to last forever between waxing, KMC not so much.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The initial cleaning is the time consuming part. Plus I never really know what to do with the old mineral spirits that I used to clean the chain. I have a few containers full of dirty mineral spirits in my garage.

Re-waxing is simple.

My biggest turnoff came at DK after going through some water. My chain got super loud, and so did my friend‘s chain that was also waxed. He had molton speed. I used Gulf.

NFS lube seems to be a much better option for wet conditions. Plus it lasts a long time between applications, and there was publication that showed it led to really long life of a chain. Lately that’s what I’ve been using, but I might go back to wax again because it’s cleaner, and just have an old backup chain hanging around with NFS that I can put on for wet races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The down side - typically only good for roughly 200 miles or so.

I get much better longevity and quiet since I started heating the wax to a higher temperature, ~250F or so. I've gone 500 miles with no problem, but usually rewax much sooner because it's easy. I've also found that the Shimano chains seem the best.
Last edited by: rruff: Dec 29, 19 21:06
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
The initial cleaning is the time consuming part.

Leaving the chain in a jar of mineral spirits for a day and shaking it once in awhile, then doing the same in alcohol, isn't that time consuming... ;)

I haven't notice a problem with rain at all, but haven't tried water-crossings.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Plus I never really know what to do with the old mineral spirits that I used to clean the chain.

It helps to have a car hobby. I dump the used mineral spirits into my parts washer. :o}
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
spectrum5825 wrote:

As long as I’m not riding in the wet, I get 2-3 weeks out of waxed chain before it starts to squeak. That’s 5-700 miles. Dura-Ace chains seem to last forever between waxing, KMC not so much.

Since I have been waxing my chains, the biggest surprise is how it does in the wet weather. I long believed that a short spin in the rain would destroy the wax on a chain and render it loud and friction filled but I have found just the opposite. I often find that I can get another ride or two out of a chain after having done a two hour ride in the rain with no increase in noise or friction that I can detect, at least. I am using MSW that I usually heat up to 220F in the slow cooker.

It works, it's clean and it's so very easy. I also find that without oil flying off the chain on to the back end of the bike that cleanup is a much quicker thing. A two minute wash with soap and water is all it takes to get everything looking tidy again. My bike simply doesn't get that dirty any more.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, he still makes a simple process hard.
At least now he is not telling everybody to put some liquid paraffin in there.

Best way by far is to use a small deep fryer, comes with a basket to put the chain in, no messing around with wire, lets the chain drip out by sittng the basket up on it's hook and has a lid that keps the wax smell in and hot wax away from people.
Also facilitates putting another chain in afterwards without the danger of splashing wax on oneself because you just put it in the basket and lower it in gently.

He states don't go over 85 deg C, no reason just says so, more than likely because Jason at friction facts used 82 deg C, but the only reason he used that temperature is because that is as high as his untrasonic cleaners would go.
I and others have found that best results are obtained around 150 deg C.

DONT use candles, they have additives to prevent the wax from sticking to molds, this not only makes the wax feel sticky, but also means it does not adhere to the chain properly.
Use pure paraffin, good wax looks bluish white, is very hard and does not feel sticky and is almost translucent to look at near the corners of a block.

Throw the chain in on top of the cold wax and turn it on, go adjust your brakes or watch TV, come back when the wax is fully melted, turn off the pot, lift the basket and let it drain, get an old towel and tip the chain out onto it and wipe off any wax from the outside of the chain, give it a good swoshing around to remove as much as possible.
As soon as it is cool enough to handle, put it on the bike and spin the pedals.

Done.

I have taken a chain over 1000km and yet to hear it squeak but generally rewax after 400km or so to keep it in the eerily quiet zone.

This is the fryer I use.

https://www.kmart.com.au/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Wow, he still makes a simple process hard.
At least now he is not telling everybody to put some liquid paraffin in there.

Best way by far is to use a small deep fryer, comes with a basket to put the chain in, no messing around with wire, lets the chain drip out by sittng the basket up on it's hook and has a lid that keps the wax smell in and hot wax away from people.
Also facilitates putting another chain in afterwards without the danger of splashing wax on oneself because you just put it in the basket and lower it in gently.

He states don't go over 85 deg C, no reason just says so, more than likely because Jason at friction facts used 82 deg C, but the only reason he used that temperature is because that is as high as his untrasonic cleaners would go.
I and others have found that best results are obtained around 150 deg C.

DONT use candles, they have additives to prevent the wax from sticking to molds, this not only makes the wax feel sticky, but also means it does not adhere to the chain properly.
Use pure paraffin, good wax looks bluish white, is very hard and does not feel sticky and is almost translucent to look at near the corners of a block.

Throw the chain in on top of the cold wax and turn it on, go adjust your brakes or watch TV, come back when the wax is fully melted, turn off the pot, lift the basket and let it drain, get an old towel and tip the chain out onto it and wipe off any wax from the outside of the chain, give it a good swoshing around to remove as much as possible.
As soon as it is cool enough to handle, put it on the bike and spin the pedals.

Done.

I have taken a chain over 1000km and yet to hear it squeak but generally rewax after 400km or so to keep it in the eerily quiet zone.

This is the fryer I use.

https://www.kmart.com.au/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A couple side questions, if people don’t mind:

Does anyone ever do chain rings and cassette? Or basically is that too much wax in nooks/small areas etc?

Out of the box new chains, are you guys cleaning those as well?

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing other than the chain.

Yes, out of the box chains need to be thoroughly cleaned of the sticky goo. But, that's always been true except for done specialty chains, that don't have it.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 30, 19 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah same, just the chain. If you were to put it on the cassette or chainrings, it would just be scraped off by the chain.

The deep fryer suggestion is interesting since it has the basket, but I just use a $15 crock pot, and hang the chain to dry in my garage with some newspaper on the floor underneath it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use two heated ultrasonic cleaners.

In one I clean everything, cassettes too, in a basket, just using dish soap. The heat does a good job of melting all the wax.

Then I rinse and put the cassettes back on, move the chains to the ultrasonic cleaner with melted wax. Without evidence, I like to think the ultrasonic bit does a good job of getting the wax into all the interior surfaces pretty quickly.

This probably isn't necessary for purely road chains, but gravel and mountain bike action can leave caked residue on both the chain and cassette (despite the advantages of wax in shedding dirt), and I don't like to contaminate my wax bath with old wax.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I do have an ultrasonic cleaner that I've used in the past for chains. Got kind of lazy lately and just use mineral spirits in a bottle to clean a chain now. But had never thought of using the ultrasonic for the waxing.
I have this one, that also has a small basket:

https://www.amazon.ca/...60_236394800_TE_dp_1
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 30, 19 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Chain wax [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
rob_bell wrote:
The initial cleaning is the time consuming part.

Leaving the chain in a jar of mineral spirits for a day and shaking it once in awhile, then doing the same in alcohol, isn't that time consuming... ;)

I haven't notice a problem with rain at all, but haven't tried water-crossings.

I have been following the MSW instructions of 3 mineral spirit baths with a thorough wipe down of the chain in between each, followed by 2 alcohol baths with wipe downs in between. Is one 24hr mineral spirit bath with shakes followed by one alcohol bath enough? If so, that’s a lot less consuming than my process.
Quote Reply

Prev Next