Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist tries running...
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm a good cyclist that does a bit of running every now and again. My flexibility in general is pretty good, but I think I lack the functional mobility/strength to run as fast as my aerobic fitness should allow me. In particular, I've noticed that I really can't run very fast downhill (when the propulsive force is provided by gravity) and if I look at my reflection in shop windows when on teh flat my stride looks very short at the front with my hips pushed back.

This is hardly suprising given I've spent the past few years with cycling as my only form of exercise and also spend the majority of my job sat down. What do you recommend I do to improve this? Just running more has made little difference (even when I spent a couple of months being quite consistent about it), although running downhill more does seem to have helped. I'm assuming I'm not the first person to be faced with this and would like to flatten the learning curve.
Last edited by: mitochondria: Aug 10, 20 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [mitochondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can, work in a track workout once or twice per week, with track people.

Running *fast* for short periods can be very beneficial. Just be careful, because running fast also dramatically increases injury risk.

Or if track isn't an option, just work in fast track-like intervals.

"Wind sprints" before/after a running workout are also helpful.

The goal is just to get out of the habit of spending all training just sort of plodding along, which is what a lot of newer runners do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a reasonably fit cyclist (currently ~5 w/kg FTP) that does a bit of running every now and again. My flexibility in general is pretty good, but I think I lack the functional mobility/strength to run as fast as my aerobic fitness should allow me. In particular, I've noticed that I really can't run very fast downhill (when the propulsive force is provided by gravity) and if I look at my reflection in shop windows when on teh flat my stride looks very short at the front with my hips pushed back.

This is hardly suprising given I've spent the past few years with cycling as my only form of exercise and also spend the majority of my job sat down. What do you recommend I do to improve this? Just running more has made little difference (even when I spent a couple of months being quite consistent about it), although running downhill more does seem to have helped. I'm assuming I'm not the first person to be faced with this and would like to flatten the learning curve.

Age?
Running pace?
Miles per week over the last 6 months? Weekly frequency?

Basically....Define "a bit of running". Lacking functional mobility/strength would imply "not very much". As such, **I** would NOT recommend track workouts...but, I might change my mind based on your answers. Strides are a good place to start. 4-6x 20-30s with 60-90s rest...at a fast, but controlled pace. I generally do them at the end of medium and long runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a reasonably fit cyclist (currently ~5 w/kg FTP)

jesus, is that the new ST definition of reasonably fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, please tell me what's the fitness level to be considered "very fit" lol ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Age?
Running pace?
Miles per week over the last 6 months? Weekly frequency?

Basically....Define "a bit of running". Lacking functional mobility/strength would imply "not very much". As such, **I** would NOT recommend track workouts...but, I might change my mind based on your answers. Strides are a good place to start. 4-6x 20-30s with 60-90s rest...at a fast, but controlled pace. I generally do them at the end of medium and long runs.

I'm 27, running "steady" at somewhere between 4.30-4.45/km. Weekly runing volume has been very variable (range 0-80 km), typically running 1-3 times per week.

I'll edit my original post to remove the reference to FTP, I should have known better than to post numbers on the internet.
Last edited by: mitochondria: Aug 10, 20 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, you just have to run more, and keep some speedwork in the mix.

I honestly don't run well myself unless I'm over 40mpw (I can't maintain that year round, but that's what it takes for me to feel like I'm doing well for myself), and I have a 20+yr running background.

It's somewhat different than cycling in that acclimation to the leg pounding is critical in running, and takes its own special adaptations that you can't sidestep even if you're a great cyclist (hence Lance Armstrong's 1st noncycling marathon result despite having a strong tri background years before.)

Running fast will do the most for your form, including bursts of anaerobic sprintlike pickups. But to hold good form, you gotta have those run miles in your legs. Run weekly volume is probably the biggest determinant of your personal run speed until you're 50+mpw. Even if you tell yourself you're going to dog it and just 'run easy' all 50 miles per week, do that for several months, and you'll find that your 'doggig it' pace will beome surprisingly fast if you really keep up that volume month after month - and you'll also spontaneously run faster on pullback weeks so that it's almost like natural speedwork.

Lots of AG MOP-FOP runners bemoan 'woe is me, speedwork is so hard and doesn't make me faster but I know I have to train fast to run fast' and they're triathletes running <20mpw. Try that speedwork again when you've done 6-8 weeks at 50mpw, and then cut it back to 20mpw or race taper. I'll bet your legs alone will be feeling like they are rearin' to kill that speed workout, no extra motivation needed.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 10, 20 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:

I'll edit my original post to remove the reference to FTP, I should have known better than to post numbers on the internet.

I think it is a good reference - not sure why you feel you should remove it.

Lots of people on ST have good stats. Analyzing something like 20min power on the bike versus a 5K could be useful. Especially HR comparison.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:

I'm 27, running "steady" at somewhere between 4.30-4.45/km. Weekly runing volume has been very variable (range 0-80 km), typically running 1-3 times per week.

I think the issue was with the "reasonably fit" not the 5 w/kg. I think "reasonably fit" is a little closer to 3 w/kg in most people's minds. But, whatever...nbd.

I agree with LH, do more running...consistently for a few months. I think its really hard to "improve" in running on less than 4x per week. But, pick a number and stick with it, week-after-week, month-after-month. Do some strides in most runs. Build volume a little as it suits you....most around here would say 35mpw is a good target to work towards. If you are still feeling frisky after a couple months, you can add a harder session...a 2x10min tempo run, a hilly run, etc. You don't need to run slow forever, but you need to establish a routine of regular, frequent running, before moving onto fancier stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm similar to you, though I was a runner before I took up cycling as my primary/only mode of exercise/competition. Interestingly, I went from running 40-60 mpw to now basically one run every other week, and my 5k time is now mid 18's instead of low 18's. Not sure to make of that but moving on...

I'd just caution against doing a lot of downhill running. Better to do hill sprints, strides, and some track work to improve form and turnover. Running fast downhill is dangerous for injury risk. So is ramping up mileage quickly. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, some speedwork will help. Keep your mileage fairly low, and do your speed sessions on a track if possible. The challenging thing for really fit cyclists who start running is that they have the cardio fitness to go really hard/long, but haven't adapted to tolerate the pounding and end up injured.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, I'm not intending on doing any serious running (it's just a nice change from the bike every now and again) so unfortunately increasing the volume isn't going to happen for the moment

I'm encouraged that all the solutions mentioned involve running rather than gym work - I'll start by introducing some strides and periods of faster running as suggested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can stride, stretch, run faster, run shorter, barefoot, or whatever. The solution is simply run more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it helps, but I come from a cycling background (20+ years) as well (although likely never as fit as you are now) and started mixing in a bit of running about 5 years ago. At the time I started running mostly because I was going to be living abroad in Rome and Athens for ~4 months without a bike. I figured running would be a good transferable activity and fun way to see some parts of the cities I wouldn't see otherwise.

I've kept running ever since because it is more flexible in terms of weather and time... I run about half as long as I cycle, but my approach to both is generally low volume/high intensity. I've never done any structured training, sprints, etc. Other than my time abroad, I've averaged about 2 runs a week each about 4-5 miles. So only 8-10MPW. What has improved year over year is my pace. Nothing dramatic, but certainly what I would call significant. 5 years ago I was running 8min/mile = 5min/km. This was what was comfortable to me straight out of cycling. Right now I'm averaging 6:50/mi = 4:15/km. I've seen pretty steady improvements of about 10-15 seconds/mile pace each year.

This year has certainly been good for me with overall workout consistency and total workout volume (pandemic silver linings), but nothing dramatic has happened with running volume, pace, training style, and my running is unsurprisingly slowly improving, but not really noteworthy.

I have no doubt that much higher volume would equate to much faster improvement, but my N=1 is that even with ridiculously low volume and no structure whatsoever you can see improvements. The improvements are just smaller deltas than if you had higher volume or highly structured approaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
You can stride, stretch, run faster, run shorter, barefoot, or whatever. The solution is simply run more.
\

Just on an unrelated note - barefoot/minimalist running was probably the most fun thing I did with running in my past 20 years, and even if you don't go all-out barefoot, I'm convinced it has real benefits - strengthening the achilles, encouraging good road feel technique, and it's just flat-out fun since it's a lot more engaging than running in supercush shoes (you do have to pay attention for road debris and surface quality!)

Trail running with minimalist shoes was the best for me - you run up and down trails very differently with minimalist shoes compared to clompers where you can just land with ugly form on everything - a lot more careful foot placement but which let to a lot more grace (and fun!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also second lightheir: just run more, run most of it easy, and try doing a few strides once you've run consistently 4x/week for a month or two.

Relatively weak downhill running suggests poor running economy. Unlike in cycling, your body's internal resistance to motion is a huge power loss in running, and to make it better you mostly just need to run more -- though a little bit of fast running (~5% of weekly mileage) will help accelerate that process. Many big improvements in economy may come as you run more without you even noticing how you are running differently. If you do run strides or speedwork, think of it as running fast and relaxed and not as running "hard" - smooth and relaxed is fast.

It's also worth noting that you are not very slow at present (depending on your effort level and the terrain you are running on). If 4:30-4:45/km is an easy or even moderate run on rolling or hilly terrain, then you have the potential to be quite fast at higher exertion (otoh if that pace per km is for a tempo run on a track you have further to go!). Many elite runners run only the fast portion of their mileage faster than your quoted 4:30-4:45/km, and will be at paces comparable to or slower than that on easy days.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist tries running... [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug wrote:
I don't know if it helps, but I come from a cycling background (20+ years) as well (although likely never as fit as you are now) and started mixing in a bit of running about 5 years ago. At the time I started running mostly because I was going to be living abroad in Rome and Athens for ~4 months without a bike. I figured running would be a good transferable activity and fun way to see some parts of the cities I wouldn't see otherwise.

I've kept running ever since because it is more flexible in terms of weather and time... I run about half as long as I cycle, but my approach to both is generally low volume/high intensity. I've never done any structured training, sprints, etc. Other than my time abroad, I've averaged about 2 runs a week each about 4-5 miles. So only 8-10MPW. What has improved year over year is my pace. Nothing dramatic, but certainly what I would call significant. 5 years ago I was running 8min/mile = 5min/km. This was what was comfortable to me straight out of cycling. Right now I'm averaging 6:50/mi = 4:15/km. I've seen pretty steady improvements of about 10-15 seconds/mile pace each year.

This year has certainly been good for me with overall workout consistency and total workout volume (pandemic silver linings), but nothing dramatic has happened with running volume, pace, training style, and my running is unsurprisingly slowly improving, but not really noteworthy.

I have no doubt that much higher volume would equate to much faster improvement, but my N=1 is that even with ridiculously low volume and no structure whatsoever you can see improvements. The improvements are just smaller deltas than if you had higher volume or highly structured approaches.

Thanks, this is actually very encouraging to see someone who has made significant improvements with a similar level of committment to what I'm abel to invest. More patience required!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first thought based on your original post was that you might consider trying to run with your belly button pointed forward, level with the ground. I wonder if it's not angled more towards the ground if you're stronger in a cycling-type position (essentially placing your hips more directly under your shoulders). That might impact running downhill.
Quote Reply