Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway"
Quote | Reply
Rachel Maney, who seems to be on a crusade with Bike Law, posted this screenshot today. Really chaps my ass on this one. It appears this isn't a restricted highway and they were both riding/driving the same direction. Curious to hear what comes of Rachel's request for more information.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 1, 18 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no idea on local laws but i'd think even if the cyclist was illegally on the road, its up to all road users to be able to stop/avoid any hazards that may be present for whatever reason. they're still investigating but it doesn't sound promising...
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cyclist was not illegally in the road. This is a bad call by the officer, and should be a slam dunk for our friends at Bike Law.

I live here and ride that bridge occasionally. It’s not my favorite. And this is the reason why.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:20am. Did he have lights on bike? Maybe that’s what they mean by illegally.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
its up to all road users to be able to stop/avoid any hazards that may be present for whatever reason.

Not necessarily. We definitely need to wait for the full report. "Illegally in the road" might mean crossed suddenly without notice, maybe blew through an intersection, anything. For this rider, it might mean without lights, drifted wildly into the lane of traffic, a whole bunch of stuff. Just like how that self driving uber killed a cyclist a while back when she abruptly changed direction.

To be clear, it *may* be a bad call, it may not be. We don't know yet. 'Illegally in the road' isn't saying all cyclists are illegal in the road. It's saying that particular cyclist was. We'll see.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Sep 1, 18 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
5:20am. Did he have lights on bike? Maybe that’s what they mean by illegally.

That’s the conclusion i came too, has to something more to the incident.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given they were both riding north I have a hard time believing it is blowing thru an intersection. Based on the map, I could see the user may be trying to make some sort of an illegal left turn into a commercial parking lot but then how did they get hit as the car must have done the same thing. However, given that it was 5:20am, and without the cyclist being able to give their own story, I find it unconscionable to write that in this report. We shall see what if anything comes of this

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my thought as well. At that hour it is completely black as the sun doesn't measuably rise for around an hour. Doesn't make it any less tragic, but that is definitely night riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Given they were both riding north I have a hard time believing it is blowing thru an intersection. Based on the map, I could see the user may be trying to make some sort of an illegal left turn into a commercial parking lot but then how did they get hit as the car must have done the same thing. However, given that it was 5:20am, and without the cyclist being able to give their own story, I find it unconscionable to write that in this report. We shall see what if anything comes of this

Sorry, was speaking broadly, not specifically. You could be totally right, I have no idea. I just tend to hold outrage until we actually have the full story. It's a terrible situation all around, but I'm not ready to crucify the police for a report summary just yet. We'll see where it ends up.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does a cyclist traveling in the northbound lane when struck, end up in the southbound lane getting run over? If he was on the right side of the road or shoulder this wouldn't have happened.

Suspending judgement until there are more facts is a good idea. Lots of cyclists ride like idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
How does a cyclist traveling in the northbound lane when struck, end up in the southbound lane getting run over? If he was on the right side of the road or shoulder this wouldn't have happened.

Suspending judgement until there are more facts is a good idea. Lots of cyclists ride like idiots.

You know what happens when you assume, but that is why I am assuming maybe he/she was over on the left side of the road trying to make a turn or something. You are not going to end up on the left side of the road if you get hit from behind as you will mostly likely end up on the right side of the road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas Gerlach and All,

Without witnesses or video it is the pickups driver's word against the cyclist's word ..... along with forensic evidence of tire marks and damage assessment. Dead cyclists tell no tales ..... but sometimes an autopsy can help with crash analysis.

Cager vs. cyclist is usually a license to kill.

Many instances in https://bikinginla.com/

Might be more to the story if this report below is the same crash:

http://www.wbtv.com/...ufort-co-hit-and-run

Hit and run and suspended license ......

Highway 7 is named Sam Rittneberg Blvd so a cross street would be helpful for an accurate looksee with Google Earth. For a general look ..... Search Google Earth 'South Carolina Highway 7 and Sam Rittenberg Blvd' or justinhome's link
the map ..... a portion of Hwy 7 has a speed limit of 45.

No mention was made of alcohol or environmental conditions in the abbreviated report.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Rachel Maney, who seems to be on a crusade with Bike Law, posted this screenshot today. Really chaps my ass on this one. It appears this isn't a restricted highway and they were both riding/driving the same direction. Curious to hear what comes of Rachel's request for more information.

I don't ever think I have seen a report of a car driver hitting a pedestrian or cyclist where the report says anything about the actions of the driver other than intoxicated or hit and run. The reports never say the driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt, of the driver didn't signal, or didn't shoulder check, or the driver was speeding, or the driver made an illegal right or left turn, or the driver was distracted.

All the reports basically say is an accident occurred and pedestrian was killed. No fault ever assigned in the initial report if the car was apparently at fault.

Double standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beaufort is 70 Miles from Charleston.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose all they have to go on regarding the traffic violation is what the guy who hit him said?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist killed and deemed by POLICE to be "illegally in the roadway" [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I suppose all they have to go on regarding the traffic violation is what the guy who hit him said?

I would think there is a sort of "science" to accident reconstruction, no?
Quote Reply