Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist does first triathlon. Blisters help?
Quote | Reply
Want to know how a cyclist would do in a tri with no run or swim training? I don't run or swim and I don't really know how to swim or float. But my cycling season is done and this race is really close to my house, so let's give it a shot.

Swim: total panic 100M in, almost quit, ended up swimming the 900m mostly on my back, with some breastroke and sidestroke thrown in. 20 minutes. Lost 7 minutes to the leaders. Drank lots of water and swallowed lots of air.

Bike: Had the fastest bike split in the race. 26 minutes. Overall winner's bike split was the second fastest but I still beat him by 30 seconds. Made up between 3-6 minutes+ on everyone else in the top 20. Burped out some of the air from the swim. Wondered if I should hold back something for the run. Shoe fell off my bike while I ran with it and I realized I have no idea what the heck I am doing.

Run: Couldn't find where to rack my bike, blew 25 seconds looking for my number. Put on shoes sockless and holy cow, running is hard, especially after biking hard for 25 minutes. After 1 mile my stomach calmed down (burped some more air I probably swallowed during the swim) and legs started to feel okay, but I could tell my feet were getting destroyed. At the 15 minute mark I could tell the skin on the balls of my feet had definitely been ripped off... Slowed way down, painful to finish. 20:04 run, which was good enough for top 20, but lost 2 minutes to the winner.

Won my age group and 15/300 overall is really good! Glad I didn't pull out during my first openwater swim ever, which was frantically terrifying. How do I avoid blistering during the run? Do I have to wear socks? Get some triathlon shoes? Dry my feet thoroughly? My feet were wet the entire bike as well. I suppose running before the race would probably also help?

Still debating whether I ever will try openwater swimming again. I'll probably just stick to duathlons.
Last edited by: stevendex: Aug 26, 19 16:35
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist does first triathlon. Blisters help? [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were the distances? It looked like a hybrid between a sprint & super sprint.

Regarding sockless & blisters, the key is to use shoes designed for sockless running. I have the Zoot Makai, and I like them a lot. There are a number of other options that are also good. However, I would never use them for anything longer than a 10K (Olympic), and that is on the bubble. I usually will not get blisters on a 5K (sprint), but they will start to blister on a 10K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations stevendex, you're very courageous, or plain crazy (in pink ) to have done the swim like that ... lol.
Personnaly I'd rather lose a few seconds there, but my plans to run and bike sockless are for... never in a million years. But that's just me.

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
How do I avoid blistering during the run? Do I have to wear socks? Get some triathlon shoes? Dry my feet thoroughly? My feet were wet the entire bike as well. I suppose running before the race would probably also help?

I use Body Glide Skin Glide in my shoes, I put it on the insole under the balls of my feet and heels, and around the inside of the heel collar. Never had blisters with this method.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am also primarily a cyclist and decidedly MOP. I wear socks. The few seconds I'd save by skipping them arent worth the hassle of risking chafing. Plus, this lets me wear the shoes I am most comfortable running in.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Last edited by: guadzilla: Aug 27, 19 0:20
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist does first triathlon. Blisters help? [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your story sounds so familiar. I came from cycling aswell. Running sockless needs to be built up. You need shoes that are comfortable but nothing that special otherwise. Start with short runs and gradually build it up to longer runs. Baby powder or anything that helps keep your feet dry could help. Keeping you feet skin supple by regularly using foot crram might help. An extra bit of foot cream applied in your shoe in areas where you experience rubbing or soreness might help. For me it was a matter of trying stuff and find what works for me. I now run 20km without socks and no blisters.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist does first triathlon. Blisters help? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was officially a sprint. I think the bike was shorter, at only 11 miles, but the run was 5k and the swim was long; most people said it was about .65 mile. Overall time was 1:11. I have no idea if that's good or not but the winner was 1:03.

I think I'll try different shoes for sure. I have some new balance 1500's that I think would work better sockless. Also didn't think about using body glide in my shoes. I bet that would help too.
Last edited by: stevendex: Aug 30, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on the ambition to take this on with no training.

I begin about a month out from my first race running sockless. I put some vasaline on the outides of my little toes and between my big toe and second one. Those seem to be the hot spots for me. If I need a little more lube after a few runs I'll add it to the hot spots in my shoes. After a while my feet are tougher and I don't need the lube any more and I'm ready to race sockless. Wish I could make the bottoms of my feet a little tougher for the runs in and out of T1 and T2.

good luck

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply