Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by de360
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [de360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, it was a dumb move by the car to not pay attention, especially when a bike race is obviously going on. and the car did not signal.

thats a traffic ticket for sure.

de360 wrote:
Been hit by a car lately?
This happened Saturday in the Tri-Cities of Washington state.
Mixed reaction as to who's 'really' at fault here.
I was surprised at the number of people who were 'against' the triathlete.
I'm not sure I would have done anything different?!

(Article, Video & Comments)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [de360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea thats a tough call... Seems like the car knew the cyclist was there (just passed him) so should have been watching out for that. However the cyclist only moved to the right to pass the slowing car, so the car might have though the cyclist was behind him (slowing... waiting to pass etc). Not really sure who is at fault there, although im glad he appeared to be OK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm torn on this one. Anytime I see brake lights going on and I am catching up to a car, I assume they are going to do something like turn or park or something that will put me in harms way. I think too often we cyclists assume cars see us and we really shouldn't. But at the same time, the guy clearly didn't check his blind spot.
M~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of dumbass tries to pass that fast on the inside on a road with no shoulder and no where to go. Take the car on the left. Riding on the road is like 75% self-preservation and 25% going fast even in a race.
Last edited by: npage148: Sep 7, 11 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, road riding you slow down, check to the left, and move over

in a race though, I ain't sayin what he did was right, but I unnerstaaaand

npage148 wrote:
What kind of dumbass tries to pass that fast on the inside on a rode with no shoulder and no where to go. Take the car on the left. Riding on the road is like 75% self-preservation and 25% going fast even in a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comment on the article that it was a case of 2 wrongs. the driver should have been more attentive and the rider should not have undertaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm totally biased, and I agree that different actions could have been taken by both . . . but if you are driving your car in an obvious bike race area wouldn't you think to look for bikes when making a quick right turn with no signal?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [MAnton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MAnton wrote:
I'm totally biased, and I agree that different actions could have been taken by both . . . but if you are driving your car in an obvious bike race area wouldn't you think to look for bikes when making a quick right turn with no signal?

not if I am someone completely unfamiliar with bike racing/triathlon. I would probably just be really nervous or angry or annoyed or confused and even if you check you can fail to see a cyclist due to a blind spot.

A singal though, I'm not seeing it. that would help. its why you signal, so if you can't see someone, they know what you are doing at least.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a tough one. That is a danger zone and for me I have learned to always expect the car to turn. At any intersection, I always assume a car is going to cut me off.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
yeah, road riding you slow down, check to the left, and move over

in a race though, I ain't sayin what he did was right, but I unnerstaaaand

npage148 wrote:
What kind of dumbass tries to pass that fast on the inside on a rode with no shoulder and no where to go. Take the car on the left. Riding on the road is like 75% self-preservation and 25% going fast even in a race.
[/quote

Imagine the gravestone:

If the truck hadn't turned right, I would have had a PR!

Unertaking vehicles that turn is one of the biggest risks to cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [MAnton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rider was dumb for passing a braking Excursion on the right, at the entrance to a business. Severe lack of common sense shown there, race or not.

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
MAnton wrote:

not if I am someone completely unfamiliar with bike racing/triathlon. I would probably just be really nervous or angry or annoyed or confused and even if you check you can fail to see a cyclist due to a blind spot.

A singal though, I'm not seeing it. that would help. its why you signal, so if you can't see someone, they know what you are doing at least.

Yes but this happened in the wonderful Pacific NW where we have bike lanes and people are supposed to be used to checking for bikes before turning right. If you don't do this in the town I live in you'll end up with a good number of commuters plastered to the right side of your car.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [bcart1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcart1991 wrote:
Rider was dumb for passing a braking Excursion on the right, at the entrance to a business. Severe lack of common sense shown there, race or not.

Agreed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As many others have said, it was way dumb to pass on the inside there. The proper place to pass would have been on the outside of the car by slowing a bit. Even if you crossed the center line to avoid a car, I highly doubt a referee would give you a penalty. But, when racing we don't see that,w e only hear "GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO."

RV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm inclined to agree that both sides should have done things differently, but I also can't help but notice that the entrance to the station was coned off. Yes, one of the cones was moved out of the way, but that doesn't change anything.

Of course all of us know who wins and who loses when a 200 pound rider/bike meets a 5000 pound SUV and should pay more attention, even in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MAnton wrote:
bcart1991 wrote:

Agreed

Concur.

What is the rule of thumb when cars get rear-ended? Following car is at fault. I see no difference here.

And for the record, this guy wasn't hit by the vehicle, he hit the vehicle.

(That said, I love the sound of a disc wheel moving along......)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely pass cars on the right for that reason... unless it's a road without driveways/businesses.

Both people made bad decisions here. The cyclist for going to the right or not slowing down. The driver for not signaling, not paying attention, and buying that ridiculous car.

Quote | Reply
----------------------------------------
Agreed, the cyclist should have been more defensive but the car broke the law with NO TURN SIGNAL.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...still i wd have probably chosen to overtake on the left ... but guess it is so much easier to think when sitting on my armchair and not redlining ....
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I agree with most here. Its only smart to assume a vehicle has no idea you are there. This clearly could have been avoided by the cyclist.

War Eagle!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it looks like the veh was well ahead of the cyclist(who was closing in on the slower moving vehicle) driver probably figured noone there as he passed him a while back, and even if he/she looked in the rearview mirror, bike still back out of harms way in center of lane. veh starts to make turn, and 2 seconds elapse before bike slams into veh.

you don't pass competitors on the left, why pass a slowing giant veh on left?

maybe the 2 sec following distance isn't enough for cyclists.

i seriously cannot fault the driver on this one. it's a case of brain frost on the racer, not thinking clearly and disregarding the warning signs and common sense(which goes out the window in a race)

and i am sure every cyclist signals all their turns as well(before we go there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going with the cyclist at fault for this one. Sure the truck didn't use his signal and should get a ticket for that, but that was a real DUMBASS move to pass the truck on the inside while it was still moving - race or no race - given that the shoulder was only about 24" wide AND there were places for vehicles to make right turns.

My take on it (guessing since I wasn't there) is the truck was well enough ahead and the rider was in the road. Truck starts to slow down and rider closes the gap to the truck - decides he didn't want to slow (race) and starts to pass on the right just as the truck is making it's signal-less turn. (Truck used no signal because everyone hates cyclist on the road and it was an easy way to fu*k with one) - crash. Not sure about that states MV laws, but as a general rule its the following vehicle/rider that has the responsibility to stay a clear safe distance behind to avoid these kind of accidents.

Now, given the heat of the race moment I would probably "think" about doing the same thing (hoping I wouldn't actually do it though) and kicking myself after the crash for the stupid move I just pulled.

Gonna be an expensive race for the guy......
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Video shows car slowing with close to 6 seconds from start of video till when the rider struck the car.
Car is clearly not at fault...
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Stephen M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exit may be coned off, entrance was not. only half of drive appears to be coned ie they didn't want folks pulling out and misjudging the speed of oncoming cyclists in race mode.
Quote Reply

Prev Next