Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [de360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree This should be named cyclist Hits vehicle. Poor choice to pass on the right. I guess I could see this if the cyclist had his head down.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [TommyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardly a case for discussion. When the course is open to traffic we are to respect the rules. So no passing on the right especially in a corner. I understand that in a race sometimes we lack common sense. He screwed up. Simple. Glad nobody seems hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
1. I'm not sure that was a bike lane -- a solid white line, in itself, does not make it so.

2. Even if it was a bike lane, the cyclist was not riding in it. It wasn't until the last second, when he attempted to past, that he moved into the "lane."

I'd say both the motorist and the cyclist share fault.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Cal that would be a bike lane.

I agree that coming from behind and making a sudden move to the right of the car is not smart. Still I did not see a right turn signal.

I was looking for the sign that it's a bike lane as well, and didn't see anything. Regardless, the fact that they moved into it so late and didn't establish a lane sends the drive mixed signals-drivers that are already not paying attention and not knowledgeable/respectful of traffic/bike laws are now confused. Tough for them to know how to act and react appropriately at that point. Glad/hope all is ok with the rider-a hard lesson to learn and a good reminder that we are all too often at the mercy of vehicle traffic and their decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [de360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this should be a different threat but a couple issues seems to be what we consider "legal or ok"

1) In California that white line means a bike lane, no sign needed. Sounds like other parts of the country that's not the case.

2) Passing; car making a right turn into a drive way, if driver puts on his right turn signal should cyclist stop or move into traffic(pass on the left) to let said car to turn? Same goes for right hand turn at an intersection.

If we can't agree on what's legal or ok...no wonder we're getting killed.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admire those of you who treat a race like a ride. Signal things etc. I just do not know anyone who does this. People I know ride in a very safe manner, they race all out. Most drivers when knowing a race is going on drive in a more aware manner. Every course is not closed but should have enought signs etc. so drivers know a race is going on. This brings me to another point .....How many of you guys really race : ) ???
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
1) In California that white line means a bike lane, no sign needed. Sounds like other parts of the country that's not the case.

So how do you guys on the Left Coast delineate a breakdown lane/side street parking/etc? Or do you just default to bikes staying to the right of the solid right line?

As for the video, I would like to see the 30 seconds before the start of this one. How did that truck legally pass the bike on that road to start with?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admire those of you who treat a race like a ride. Signal things etc. I just do not know anyone who does this. People I know ride in a very safe manner, they race all out. Most drivers when knowing a race is going on drive in a more aware manner. Every course is not closed but should have enought signs etc. so drivers know a race is going on. This brings me to another point .....How many of you guys really race : ) ???
---------------------------------
Good point.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a google maps link of the location. http://g.co/maps/wuj8d

Note that the course takes a 90 degree right turn at the stop sign about 50 feet from where the wreck occurred. It's hard to tell from google, but this is at the end of a long gradual descent coming down out of wheat field and grape vineyard country.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:

Are you a pro? Are you depending on race winnings to feed yourself and your family? Didn't think so. Rule #1 is don't do stupid shit that will end up with you injured/dead, when it's just a hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
I agree with the comment on the article that it was a case of 2 wrongs. the driver should have been more attentive and the rider should not have undertaken.
X2

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'hell yeah', what a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do you guys on the Left Coast delineate a breakdown lane/side street parking/etc? Or do you just default to bikes staying to the right of the solid right line?
----------------------------------
They stop the white line at intersections but not drive ways or street parking etc. You can pull into a parking spot, turn into a drive way(cross the white line) but not drive in it. At major intersections they break it down to a dotted white line making ok to enter and turn.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you a pro? Are you depending on race winnings to feed yourself and your family? Didn't think so. Rule #1 is don't do stupid shit that will end up with you injured/dead, when it's just a hobby.
-----------------------
I don't think that was his point. Just if there is any race with cones lots of activity people should be aware.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephen J wrote:
If there were NO TURN SIGNALS by the auto; how is one to know which side to go to...the right or the left...Now, this also would argue that the cyclist should have just slowed down...well, that I would have to defer to someone else in terms of legality, and liability; as I just dont know.

I learned the hard way, about 12 years ago, when I decided to pass on the right at an intersection. The car had no signals on, and was waiting for another car to turn left. As I was passing the car started up and turned right and hit me.

I was cited for passing on the right. I made the argument ... but, she didn't have her turn signal on! I tried to contest it, and the magistrate was actually sympathetic, because people do this (pass on the right) all the time in cars. But the law was clear.

There should be no question here. It's the cyclist's fault, as much as that sucks.

Even if the state law does allow passing on the right in some circumstances, it surely wouldn't apply to passing a moving vehicle about to make a right turn.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A very similar incident happened here recently. I asked the RCMP what the deal was. Bearing in mind this is Canadian Police, they said:

A dedicated, marked bike lane is reserved exclusively for bicycles. At intersections, however, a right hand turning lane merges into, and across bike lanes because there's no other way to facilitate a right turn by motorists. It is the duty of both the motorist and cyclist to be aware of the other. The motorist must yield to the cyclist when crossing into the bike lane by signaling their intent of a right turn, or must allow the cyclist to pass. Once the motorist is crossing the bike lane, the cyclist must yield until the motorist moves out of the bike lane to turn right at the intersection. Motorists should observe the same rules regarding cyclists as they do with other motorists and cyclists must think of themselves as motorists and observe the Motor Vehicle Act regulations when in traffic (ie: not ride on sidewalks, use proper hand signals, cross oncoming lanes at intersections). Cyclists should go the extra step and make themselves as visible as possible by wearing bright colors or using flashing lights on their bikes, as poor visibility is often a contributory factor in cyclist/motor vehicle collisions.

In the Go Pro video I believe the truck does not indicate when crossing into the bike lane failing to signal their intent.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had something similar happen to me in the Big George HIM this past Sunday.

The Sheriff had the traffic stopped at an in-town intersection where I was to turn right. The volunteer waved me through with one of those orange flags and this older dude stopped in the middle lane panicked and thought the volunteer was waving him to turn right. So he shot across the turning lane in front of me. Lucky for me I saw it happening and cut left and swung wide as the Sheriff screamed at the guy to stop. Near miss but I can't say the old dude was 100% to blame. It was obvious there was a race going on but that old timer was just doing what he does every Sunday for the last 40 years got caught up in the middle of a bike race.

Probably the most excitement he has had in years, cops and his old lady yelling at him at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree we should be careful signal go slower and really watch out during a race, I just said I do not know anyone who does during a race and I do not see people doing this. Just thinking someone is racing gets passed by a car the car then signals a turn the racer stays behind car slows down hand signals at the turn and is really careful at all driveways etc. You people are the smart ones. To hell with time and racing just be safe. It looks like most of the people responding do this. Oh!!! I have a question.... How many of you really race : ) ?????
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
In the Go Pro video I believe the truck does not indicate when crossing into the bike lane failing to signal their intent.

Except the cyclist is riding in the middle of the road, not in the bike lane. (and is it even a bike lane? not clear frm the short clip whether it is, or whether that is just the edge line for the road). He doesn't enter the lane until he veers to try to go around the car.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also a retired lawyer, but that's irrelevant. In this case the driveway was coned, the truck driver failed to signal, the entire incident happened in about 5-8 seconds, the racer is in aerobars and is RACING. The driver knows a RACE is happening, but he didn't care to exercise reasonable caution as exhibited by his failure to wait to turn, use a turn signal, and probably shouldn't have been turning at all. But, you also ignore a major problem cyclists have with cars on the highway, which is that drivers, and particularly the "I'm the fucking king of the road" style of vehicle driven by this bozo, have a major attitude problem. This driver passed the cyclist and purposely turned right in front of him expecting him to stop notwithstanding his sudden irresponsible behavior. Am I biased in favor of cyclists? Yes, and I hope everyone here is also 'biased'. And, anyone who says they are not biased at all is full of shit. Please spare me your condescension....and curriculum vitae.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Aralo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look again, those are brake lights flashing briefly, not a turn signal. The car also almost stopped as he/she decided whether to turn into the station.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
de360 wrote:
Been hit by a car lately?

This happened Saturday in the Tri-Cities of Washington state.
Mixed reaction as to who's 'really' at fault here.
I was surprised at the number of people who were 'against' the triathlete.
I'm not sure I would have done anything different?!

(Article, Video & Comments)

Maybe this is the difference between a triathlete and a roady?

A roady would have completely avoided that collision and never mentioned it to anyone because nothing of any consequence occurred there. The triathlete videotapes the completely avoidable collision that happened during a completely idiotic maneuver and posts it for the world to see.

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Sep 7, 11 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
well, it was a dumb move by the car to not pay attention, especially when a bike race is obviously going on. and the car did not signal.

thats a traffic ticket for sure.

this may have been mentioned, I didnt read through all 6 pages of comments but if you watch the video again and make it full screen, I'm fairly certain the driver has a turn signal on. You can see the left brake light and if you watch the right very carefully you'll see it flash. It may be camera angle or the sun. hard to tell with all the camera movement.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcdoublee wrote:
A roady would have completely avoided that collision and never mentioned it to anyone because nothing of any consequence occurred there. The triathlete videotapes the completely avoidable collision that happened during an completely idiotic maneuver and posts it for the world to see.

Only a fucking roadie would think we were using videotape.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for going back to road bikes, but if you are down in aerobars then you should expect less mobility and reaction time, but in this case the biker had almost no time to respond.

Should races be open to traffic? How many times have you seen the Tour de France on the road with trucks like this guy was driving? This is part of the problem. The demand for races has far exceeded the public's willingness to tolerate a shut down for safety's sake. Our resources must be used solely for the destruction of the environment, eh, not for good health, clean air, clean water. Sheezh.....Think about the consequences of what some of you are advocating.....

But, until bikers get more proactive and fight for road space, they will continue to be marginalized in America. You only need to ride a bike in Europe to understand the difference. The Europeans have narrower roads, yet they respect cyclists. This guy in the truck doesn't respect cyclists and if he did he wouldn't have pulled such a boneheaded move.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, at least nobody really got hurt (from what I can tell)

shit, thats what I thought when I was right hooked about 0.5 secs after a passing pickup got me.
The following 9 months of pain, and impairment led to discovery of a left knee torn PCL.

Be careful out there.

Its true, no matter who's at fault, you lose.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Hardly a case for discussion. When the course is open to traffic we are to respect the rules. So no passing on the right especially in a corner. I understand that in a race sometimes we lack common sense. He screwed up. Simple. Glad nobody seems hurt.

Hmmmm... I think it has to do less oxygen reaching your brain and more than usual to your legs at LT.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply

Prev Next