Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [bcart1991] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 if it was real time video if the cyclist was paying attention he should have had enough time to react. Although the excursion should have signaled a turn. But to me it looks like the cyclist was not paying attention andnhad his eyes only looking a few feet ahead most likely.

Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as I mentioned originally, I don't know the law of the state the accident happened in, but from my state and auto claims background (no longer in that position) - the rider is at fault and is the primary cause of the accident and had the due care to avoid. If I'm the insurance company for the truck, I'm not paying a dime for the bike and injuries of the rider.

jpb wrote:
There's a difference between "could have avoided" and "at fault." The cyclist absolutely should have been more prudent and avoided the accident, but was NOT at fault. The rider followed the rules of the road--the car did not. Therefore the car is at fault.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that Jack, but not the issue. I think my mother must have dropped me on my head too many times as a child or forced me to be a righty instead of lefty and my mind rebels. I hit better left handed than right, left eye dominant, etc.

Can anyone say for sure that the turn signal wasn't on? It's hard to even see the brake lights in that vid, and it aoppears that the right one does change, but hard to tell for sure.

I only pass on the right in a bike lane, if there are no driveways and no intersections and no parking allowed, and even then I pay extra attention to the vehicles I am passing. being able to quickly bunny hop a curb is a usefull skill.

clearly, the cyclist in this vid was not in the bike lane before he went into it to try and avoid hitting the vehicle. unless he had the camera on a stick jutting out 5' to the left(i double checked that before typing right this time)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
Not true, if the biker had an expectation that no right hand turns by vehicles would be allowed into businesses. If I were on the jury, I'd hammer that driver. He's too stupid to be driving.....

-Robert

Where would this expectation come from? Any race I've been in has always said to watch out for traffic.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and what open to traffic course has that ever been instituted on ??
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the chances this guy does most of his riding on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while vid taping himself doing so
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The driveways are all coned? That might be a hint!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty. Usually turns by traffic are strictly controlled by police officers. This guy was just an impatient prick.....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
The driveways are all coned? That might be a hint!

-Robert

Bike Rule #2 - Course is open to auto traffic...keep alert.

http://www.3rrr.org/maps/TManRules2010.pdf

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your wrong, the car was clearly pass the cyclist. Cyclist should have been paying attention to what was ahead of him. The cyclist came up from behind. Maybe he just did not have enough "stopping power" in his choice of brakes and pads :0) wonder what kind he is/was using?

Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
another is not to overtake on the right, I believe.

It is funny how cyclists always complain how cars will not wait for them, however, cyclists never respect a car's right of way either!

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are the comments about being in the aerobars? The video doesn't show much evidence of head movement indicating he was still in his aero tuck as he passed the car with his hands far away from the brakes. I'd be coasting and getting ready to pass on the left here with my hands close to the brakes. If he had quick access to his brakes it seems like there might have been time to do something other than slide into the side of the car...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe its different in the here in the UK with driving on the "right" side of the road :-) but I'm not massively sure what the issue was. Did the guy on the bike undertake a car that then happened to turn into a driveway that had cones on? If so as has been said I think the bike wasn't looking far enough ahead to see the car slowing otherwise he was a total fool for undertaking a car, like I say in the UK you would overtake not undertake? Shame anyone came off he was OK enough to post the video though although not sure I would have made it public.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
as I mentioned originally, I don't know the law of the state the accident happened in, but from my state and auto claims background (no longer in that position) - the rider is at fault and is the primary cause of the accident and had the due care to avoid. If I'm the insurance company for the truck, I'm not paying a dime for the bike and injuries of the rider.

jpb wrote:
There's a difference between "could have avoided" and "at fault." The cyclist absolutely should have been more prudent and avoided the accident, but was NOT at fault. The rider followed the rules of the road--the car did not. Therefore the car is at fault.

Ordinarilly, I would agree with you. If this was just some cyclist going down the road, clearly this could have been avoided as he was overtaking the car from a long distance back and it was clear the car was slowing down and wasn't going to check for a cyclist.

With that being said, this was a race. IF there are cars allowed on the course it is incumbant on them to avoid ALL contact with any of the cyclists on the road and excercise extra care. Yes this means check, double check and triple check before making a right hand turn. If anyone disagrees with this then I'll start taking offers to go out with a big truck and block up your competitors for you on your next Tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 25 mph you are asking a lot of a cyclist to expect him to stop for an unexpectedly turning vehicle in front of him. He obviously slowed some as he was mostly unhurt, but this driver was a BONEHEAD. Just my humble opinion. I'd take his license and make him ride a bike to work every day for a year.... ;) He needs an attitude adjustment, as do most drivers and some cyclists.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [packetloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen!

Thank you!!

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
At 25 mph you are asking a lot of a cyclist to expect him to stop for an unexpectedly turning vehicle in front of him. He obviously slowed some as he was mostly unhurt, but this driver was a BONEHEAD. Just my humble opinion. I'd take his license and make him ride a bike to work every day for a year.... ;) He needs an attitude adjustment, as do most drivers and some cyclists.

-Robert

So you don't think the cyclist was an equal bonehead for choosing to pass on the RIGHT instead of the LEFT? He did have a choice. Why the hell would the car slow coming up to a gas station if he didn't intend to turn right?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [packetloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you expect a member of the public to give a damn about some race?! His only interest was getting gas. The roads were open, the racers need to take care and assume the worst scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
know your open course or suffer the consequences. officers are there to aid the traffic situation and one should never count on them to stop all for the mighty racer. if you expect that, expect to get hit. I've seen police officers motion racers to stop for cross traffic. i've seen directed traffic not follow what officer indicates to do, cuz it isn't what they plan to do and officer may or may not have misinterpreted what drivers intentions were.

lots of drivers are pricks, and percentagewise more cyclists are. how does calling names help. it was a bad lack of judgement moment on the part of the cyclist. you can't expect to dart in and out of the lane you want for your own selfish needs(road, no wait, bike lane, and back) and think the other guy is the bad guy.

How about the cyclist doesn't come flying up behind a slowing object that can severely injure him without having a safe escape route. Hint, that isn't diving into the bike lane to pass on the right at the last moment, as that is clearly not a safe escape route.

We cyclists just love to be our own worst enemies.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The camera wad strapped to the bike, thays how you manage to see the rider when he gets up off the pavement. Nice try though sherlock, :)

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [superphil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the cyclist is racing and thinking he has the right of way as no turns were allowed. I've seen plenty of bone-headed moves by cyclists in races -think Clearwater Championships-but in this case I come down on the side of the cyclist by a wide margin. No issue for me.

Anyway, where is the guy who got hit? I'd like to hear his side of the story. Maybe he'll say he was talking to his agent on his cell phone when he hit the truck. New facts might change the result. ;)

You guys do race triathlons, right? ;)

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
I think the cyclist is racing and thinking he has the right of way as no turns were allowed.

Why are you assuming no turns were allowed? Do you think the gas station owner wouldn't cry bloody murder if they were expected to shut down the entrance to their business for a whole morning?

Quote:
I've seen plenty of bone-headed moves by cyclists in races -think Clearwater Championships-but in this case I come down on the side of the cyclist by a wide margin. No issue for me.

Anyway, where is the guy who got hit? I'd like to hear his side of the story. Maybe he'll say he was talking to his agent on his cell phone when he hit the truck. New facts might change the result. ;)

You guys do race triathlons, right? ;)

-Robert

You still didn't answer why the guy couldn't have passed on the left. It was OBVIOUS what the driver was doing and the cyclist moved into the once place that guaranteed he'd be hit. It's almost like he WANTED to be hit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
So you expect a member of the public to give a damn about some race?! His only interest was getting gas. The roads were open, the racers need to take care and assume the worst scenario.
Probably looking at the gas prices as he drove his money hungry fossil fuel grabbing monster.

Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
If the cyclist was a motorcycle rider, the truck would be held at-fault.

If the truck was a naked woman, nobody would be talking about brake lights.
Quote Reply

Prev Next