Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you go to post 250 of this thread and go to the link and the links link you will get the vid, which shows signal working and on. I don't know why the link in the1st post doesn't show signal or brake lights, but you can see them when you follow the other link.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the brake lights were one and a blinker its on the cyclist IMO

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [de360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blah blah blah
I presume the roads were NOT closed to traffic. And that the RD stated the road was open and the normal rules of the road applied.

The car passed the cyclist on the left. (as allowed)
The car slowed (as allowed)
The cyclist caught up to the car (as allowed)
The cyclist attempted to pass the car on the right (not allowed? this is undertaking, as opposed to overtaking, and isn't permitted (here at least)
Motorist fails to signal the turn
Cyclist slams into vehicle

If I was in a black gown, holding a gavel, I'd fine both of them for breaking assorted road rules (assuming those rules exist in the state)

Remember, just because a cyclist gets hit, doesn't mean it's the motorists fault, and just because it's a race, doesn't mean the cyclists have the right to do what they want.

Also, if a cyclist screws up, they pay the price (injury and bike damage), and if a motorist screws up, the cyclist still pays the price. Even if you (cyclist) have the right of way, you can be "dead" right. Best to ride defensively and within the rules of the road.

Bonehead moves by both parties if you ask me. Typical example of two wrongs don't make a right :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist Hit by Vehicle During Triathlon Caught on GoPro [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
596 wrote:
Here's my 2 cents. The truck was wrong. He deserves a ticket for failing to signal or yield. I'm betting the law allows that cyclist the right of way in the bike lane. The truck must signal and yield to a vehicle in the lane, whether it be a car or a cyclist. The truck failed to signal and yield to another vehicle in the right lane (the bike lane in this case). If you are turning right from the left lane of a highway across the other lane you must yield to cars in the right lane, you can't just turn and expect everyone to stop for you. Same thing here, he technically cut off that other vehicle (cyclist).

Now for common sense: No way am I passing that truck on the right. I'm looking at all the dirt on the truck (I'm sorry but that says something right there), the gas station, the truck slowing.....I either slow down or pass on the left, which you are allowed to do in most states. Cyclists can pass on either the left or right.

BTW - the cones were only on the exit side of the driveway into the gas station. They were placed to prevent vehicles from coming out of the station not into the station.

Lots going on here, of course.

the truck passed the cyclist quite a while before the video starts (based on how far ahead he was). From the time the video starts, the cyclist has about 8 seconds to react to the car turning. The cyclist is catching the truck. Then brake lights come on, and then the distance to the truck decreases, at an ever increasing rate. This suggests the truck is going to turn or maybe is stopping for something up the road (another vehicle turning or whatever). At this point, the cyclist should have clued in, and reacted by slowing down.

I don't see any bike lane signs on the road, so I suspect it's just the verge, not an official bike lane, but I could be wrong.

Once all the facts are ascertained, and local laws confirmed, THEN it can be decided who was in the wrong. That said, from the info available to me at the moment, I think it's about 50/50. As the damage to the bike is probably greater than damage to the truck, it's likely the motorist owes the cyclist some money, but not complete replacement cost

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next