Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling ~9 hours a week; How to add running back in and not lose bike fitness?
Quote | Reply
I've been cycling only for the past 8 months to get ready for some gravel events this summer, and have enjoyed getting stronger on the bike. But now I'm starting to miss running and want to get back to it.

However, I have this silly fear in my mind that as soon as I jog down the street all my cycling gains will evaporate. Please tell me this fear is unfounded!

What is a good way to add running back in to the mix so that I can not lose too much on the bike and get decent at running again? I'm not sure I want to double up that often, so I'm probably not going to do 6 days a week of BarryP; 4 days a week is more likely.

I can probably afford (timewise) to add 2 extra hours of training time per week purely for running, more run time than that and it will take away riding time (which might be the right call, not sure).
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling ~9 hours a week; How to add running back in and not lose bike fitness? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run four times a week and you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling ~9 hours a week; How to add running back in and not lose bike fitness? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't sound like you want actual advice since you answered your own question:

"I can probably afford (timewise) to add 2 extra hours of training time per week purely for running, more run time than that and it will take away riding time (which might be the right call, not sure)."

If you want actual advice then run 6 days a week for 30 minutes a day.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that when I get into higher bike volume for me (10 hours or so a week or more) my bike endurance increases, but my ability to hold high watts decreases. I consistently run 4-6 hours a week year round, but lower the bike volume after tri season ends. For example, I did a 100 mile ride this past weekend where my w/kg avg was right around 3.5. Back in January I did a 20' effort at 4.9 w/kg and was only biking 3-4 hours a week, but lots of VO2 and higher intervals. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that 20' effort now and I know I couldn't have done a 100 mile ride holding 3.5 w/kg back in January. However, I find this happens every year when total volume ramps up.

So, I guess to answer your question, it can be done, but you may loose some of that top end power by adding more total volume. This is just from personal experience. I try to run as frequently as possible, even if it's only a 15-20 minute run that I can squeeze in between the time I get home from work and when the bus arrives to drop off my son.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling ~9 hours a week; How to add running back in and not lose bike fitness? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phew - ok, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling ~9 hours a week; How to add running back in and not lose bike fitness? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate, thanks for the info - sounds like your running is so consistent that it doesn't really affect your riding. I suppose it comes down to establishing some sort of year-round baseline, and then tailoring training and focus towards what you want to improve or have coming up - whether that means changes in volume/intensity or dialing one sport back/up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this recently after not running since Oct 18. I am only riding about 6-8 hours a week, but roughly 6 weeks in and I have not seen any drops in my rides. I just started adding in short 1-2 mile runs 4-6 times a week and now am fluctuating between 15-20 mpw and already running the same times I was last year when I was cramming 6 days and 30-40 mpw. I am 4 weeks into an 8 week build on the bike too so I am riding hard.

We'll see how it goes, but so far so good for me at least.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply