Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling with kids
Quote | Reply
This is a follow-up to my "Jogging Stroller" question, where I got some great tips. I purchased a Thule and can't wait until the little guy is big enough to go on runs with me.

What are your thoughts on cycling with kids -- I'm talking taking them on longer rides/workouts more so than commuting to kindergarden (though I do suppose that's a question I'll tackle eventually)? I have two lines of questioning:

1) Is it safe? I live in San Francisco and do most of my training in Marin Headlands where there is still a fair amount of car traffic as well as some steep hills where I regularly hit 40 mph. It's one thing if I get hit by a car, but I'd never forgive myself if my crazy hobby maimed our son. I also suspect that baby-seats, chariots, and cargo seats make a bike handle worse, so I wonder if that compounds the dangers (being unable to maneuver out of the way) despite them being more visible. Are there precautions you take here?

2) For those who do ride with their kids, what equipment works best? The most versatile option that would allow me to train on my current bikes and also use for runs seems to be a chariot. But I don't know how practical that is unless we drive outside of the city. There are of course the little seats at attach to the back of the bike which is how my dad got me around. Are the bikes (perhaps slightly further down the line) that are more like tandems, but where my son could ride up front (and pedal in an easier gear, if at all) and I could drive/steer while doing 90% of the pedaling in back?

3) What kind of riding works best? With the jogging stroller, seems like I could do almost everything expect fastest paced interval training for duration based on what son will tolerate (which I expect might increase over time)? But what about riding? Can you get "real" training rides in, or is cycling with the kids more about "fun" or best case some easy base miles, vs longer structured workouts. I suppose the added mass might increase the difficulty quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling with kids [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 4 kids and have dragged them around in/on various things. Currently I ride to work daily on an e-bike and my boys 8 and 10 ride their own bikes to school (less than 1 mile, flat). A very small baby might tolerate being strapped in for hours for your training rides, but once they start crawling, they are not gonna be happy being immobile that long.

No, it is not safe to ride on roads shared with vehicles that weigh 2-5 tons, and go faster than 20mph. Not safe for anyone.

For daily transport of little kids, depends on your situation/topography, a Burley type pull trailer works great, and can be detached and left at the school/daycare. You could also drag the kid for training rides in one, it does not significantly change the handling of the bike.

A box bike with a box and bench up front works great for daily transport of babies/toddlers around town. Older kids (3-10 years) can ride on the back of a long tail cargo bike for daily errands, and transition to their own bikes depending on age/speed/skill/endurance.

With kids, I'd stick to protected bike paths/trails ("cycletrack") or neighborhood streets with 20mph or slower traffic.

For handling, a Burley type trailer does not change bike handling very much. Cargo bikes handle differently, and are heavier, SF hills might be quite a challenge (electric ones would be best for daily commuting). The higher the center of gravity of the kid, more it will affect handling. Baby seats that go on the rear rack, or the top tube are less safe and worse handling than a box bike, cargo bike, or bike trailer you pull behind. On the pedal trailer bikes, kids rarely pedal enough to make a difference, and just are dead weight you are pulling.

Enjoy!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What are your thoughts on cycling with kids
Riding a road bike, especially in S.F. with kids is a horrible idea. I've never seen a better excuse to buy an indoor trainer and get a Zwift subscription.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling with kids [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
With kids, I'd stick to protected bike paths/trails ("cycletrack") or neighborhood streets with 20mph or slower traffic.

This was my instinct as well. But I want to confirm that I'm not being paranoid and denying my son the thrill of descending the back side of Hawk Hill for no good reason.

For those with kids, especially kids who road race, I'm curious at what age you got them on a road bike and racing juniors. But that's a LONG LONG ways off I assume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would only recommend a trailer with a low mount (by the rear axle), a full five point seat belt - - I would expect the "good" ones all have those items. The thing about a trailer is if something happens, they are protected.

Being in San Fran (as if I really understand being from New Orleans/Houston areas), I would make sure whatever bike you use is fully brake capable. Deep aluminum rims for better heat dissipation. Keep in mind (in the past) most disc brakes were not tandem rated so I would be sure if you are running disc's that they are capable of stopping the extra weight involved. Sorry not up to date which disc's are tandem capable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
For those who do ride with their kids, what equipment works best?

Age 1-4 or so I would use a trailer for stability. We have a Burley Bee, which was relatively cheap (though it doesn't have the best shock absorption).

Age 4-6 you might try a trail a bike. Weehoo makes a nice one. It will be less stable than the trailer, and you will feel it if they move from side to side.

wintershade wrote:
What kind of riding works best? With the jogging stroller, seems like I could do almost everything expect fastest paced interval training for duration based on what son will tolerate (which I expect might increase over time)? But what about riding? Can you get "real" training rides in, or is cycling with the kids more about "fun" or best case some easy base miles, vs longer structured workouts. I suppose the added mass might increase the difficulty quite a bit.

My kid rides are all bonus rides -- no particular structure or time goals, but getting in whatever miles I can before they get bored. Intensity is easy to come by going uphill with the trailer. Of course you want to leave a big safety margin, so I don't push anywhere near my limit. But it is good for getting my legs moving the day after a long ride.

DrTriKat wrote:

Generally what I do also. The traffic may not be 20 mph, but I am looking for quieter residential streets with bike lanes wherever possible. Maybe more boring than my usual routes but safer. I also ride a lot of bike paths, but there the surface quality can be more of an issue.

wintershade wrote:
For those with kids, especially kids who road race, I'm curious at what age you got them on a road bike and racing juniors. But that's a LONG LONG ways off I assume.

Very interested in this also -- my soon-to-be 8 year old wants to road race, and I have been looking for opportunities to get her started (in the Seattle area).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What your kid will tolerate is yet to be seen. My daughter just turned one and she’s done over 2 hours in the Bob jogger and Burley bike trailer. And that is with just a toy or two. No electronics. She loves it. We started her as soon as we could and she was in the jogger almost every day, even a few downpours and she loved it! (She’s also probably the easiest going baby ever. Ymmv)

I agree to stay off the streets. Just not worth it. I’ve biked with her on the greenways for fun. I would also consider them fun rides and put in some efforts when terrain and traffic permit.

We had trouble finding a helmet small enough. In the bike trailer they’ll lean against the back and it kept shifting the helmet down over her eyes.

Overall though, it’s been great fun bringing her along.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply