Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii!
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitchers!

I will be visiting Maui, HI this Dec and I wish to ride up Halaekala as a birthday gift for myself :-)... I have a few questions:
1. How is the weather in Dec at sea-level (Paia, the starting location) and at the Summit?
2. How can I find some company to ride up with? Are there other forums, cycling clubs, etc.? I am flexible on the date from Dec 23-25, 2018
3. If I find myself stranded at the summit or along the way due to heavy rains/snowstorms, how easy is it to hitch a ride back?
4. Chances are pretty low, but is anyone here planning on doing that ride during that time frame?

thanks!
-C
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [trigeeky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeeky wrote:
Hi Slowtwitchers!

I will be visiting Maui, HI this Dec and I wish to ride up Halaekala as a birthday gift for myself :-)... I have a few questions:
1. How is the weather in Dec at sea-level (Paia, the starting location) and at the Summit?
2. How can I find some company to ride up with? Are there other forums, cycling clubs, etc.? I am flexible on the date from Dec 23-25, 2018
3. If I find myself stranded at the summit or along the way due to heavy rains/snowstorms, how easy is it to hitch a ride back?
4. Chances are pretty low, but is anyone here planning on doing that ride during that time frame?

thanks!
-C

4 time summit finishes for me.

1. Sea level: HOT. Summit: Cold AF (maybe) All I've ever needed is arm warmers, long fingered gloves and a vest. When I did it in August I didn't need anything.
2. I would do it, but I'm not in Maui until spring.
3. Super easy. Loads of tourists give hikers lifts, anyone with and SUV will help.
4. Not me. But Christmas is BUSY.

The store in Kula and the washrooms above the gate are the only real places to get fluids.

I like start from Paia as the sun is rising. It's nice and cool for the climb to Kula, then as you get higher the altitude cools it down.
Also, the earlier you go, the less chance of bad weather at the summit.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Oct 22, 18 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good chance I will be there at that time and would be interested. How long is the ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~4hr up, ~1hr15 down

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been to Maui a few times... never ridden a bike there or gone up Haleakala... on my list for next time.

Found a page with some good info here: http://www.westmauicycles.com/...mit-cycle-to-the-sun

I'd join you if I was there, but I wll not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode this last weekend. Your best bet weather wise is to be flexible on your date and pick the day with the best chance of a clear day. It will be hard on the holidays if you are renting, since you may have to book the whole block to ensure you have it on the day you want. Are you renting a bike or bringing your own?

Maui cycles in Paia rents fine bikes for $65 a day. I did my climb on Sunday - picked it up Saturday and returned it Monday for a one day fee. (It was slow. That may have helped.) They also occasionally do supported rides, where they will drag up all the fluids, extra clothing, gels etc. He quoted me $195 for this (included bike rental). One problem here is that their commercial vehicles aren't allowed past the ranger station at 7000ft, so I don't know how they handle that. That shop will know other people renting on the day and may hook you up with a buddy. But, I'd just do it solo again if I go back. It is a peaceful time.

If you do want a lift down (too cold), consider only hitching down a few thousand feet and hop back out. The descent is awesome. The top is more exposed and chilly, but warms up fast. I wore a normal kit, long sleeve tech shirt, wind vest, surgical gloves under full finger gloves and was fine going the whole way down. The standard rental car on Maui is a 4door wrangler. I bet you could throw a bike back there. There will be several. Otherwise, lots of people in small SUVs. Getting a hitch down is no problem. Once you reach the observatory, everyone will be all in awe that you rode up it and come up and chat...perfect time to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2012 I went with a group from Maui cyclery. They had two stops up, one where I think Kula Lodge is or used to be (?). The second was at a bend right before the park entrance (and of course available as SAG). From there they just load you with a bit of food, some extra clothes if you’ve forgotten, and send you on your way. Hit the top, take that pic, Coast back down to the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trigeeky wrote:
Hi Slowtwitchers!

thanks!
-C

I've done it in February the last two years. Weather is always nice down in Paia and cools as you climb. Watch the weather and pick your date as best you can. When I did it I was going pretty hard both times, but never needed any extra clothes on the climb. I did wear a thin undershirt. It was fairly pleasant just standing around up top. BUT, it will be chilly no matter what on the descent. Last year shortly after I got to the top the clouds rolled in and the first third of the descent was freaking cold!

I would bring the following for the descent:
1. Light wind jacket
2. Cycling cap (Forgot it the first year and bought one at Maui Cyclery)
3. Arm warmers
4. Long finger gloves like Defeet wool gloves.
Hot tip, bring one bottle and put a cut off bottle in your other cage to hold your wind jacket to maximize pocket space. One big bottle was more than enough for me both times. If you need more water you can stop and get it at the ranger station/park entrance.

What you bring for the descent is always a trade off between what you want and what you want to carry. I used to work for the Air Force (civillian) and we did a two week TDY to Maui where we worked at the GEODSS site at the top of Haleakala back in the '90s. This was in December. Each day we drove up and at the end of the day I rode my bike back to the condo I was staying at in Kihei. In that case since I didn't have to carry it up with food, etc. I'd go full arm warmers, cap, wind jacket, leg warmers and gloves. I remember that I'd generally hit the warm air thermocline at around 7,000' where I'd stop and strip down. I did not ride down on the day it SNOWED up there...

As others have mentioned Donnie at Maui Bike Shop in Paia is great and his shop is literally right at the bottom of Baldwin Rd. which is the rode up Haleakala. He rents nice bikes if you aren't bringing your own.

Bring small gears. As I mentioned I rode it pretty much full gas (under 3 hours). I had a 28 the first year and that last stretch was REALLY unpleasant in my 36x28. Last year I used an 11x32 cassette and was much happier for that stretch.

You have to stop and pay at the park entrance and if you're trying to go fast for a time that is kind of a drag. The ticket you buy to enter the park is good for a couple of days so you could ride up or drive up to the park entrance at about 6,000' and buy a pass the day before.

Other rides worth doing would be of course, the west Maui loop. Pick your direction based on the wind. It is quite a slog heading north between the mountains into a 20mph headwind... Check out Waipoli Road, via Pulehu. Waipoli is hard! A 32 is an absolute requirement for Waipoli, but it's very cool, a lot like the Mortirolo in Italy. It tops out at around 6,000' to a gravel road. It is my understanding that you could follow that gravel road to the top of Haleakala, but not on a road bike, or even gravel bike I believe. You'd need a MTB.

Really in my opinion, most of the best riding is based out of Paia.

Have fun.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
~4hr up, ~1hr15 down

~4 hours for a cat 4 roadie, FOP triathlon cyclist like me. 6+ hours for my wife.
under 4 hours for rock stars.

And then there is the sub 2:30 record of Michael Woods. INSANE.
https://www.strava.com/activities/99917806

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Check out Waipoli Road, via Pulehu. Waipoli is hard! A 32 is an absolute requirement for Waipoli, but it's very cool, a lot like the Mortirolo in Italy. It tops out at around 6,000' to a gravel road. It is my understanding that you could follow that gravel road to the top of Haleakala, but not on a road bike, or even gravel bike I believe. You'd need a MTB.

Pulehu is damn hard when you reach lower Kula. I suffered this summer there. Super hot and no wind.

I have done Waipoli in car and the transmission complained from the inclines! I think if you were careful you could ride the gravel road, then Skyline to the top.
Traction on the steep gravel pitches might be an issue though.
Now that I think about this, I'm going to give it a go at the end of March.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hook up with Donnie from Maui Cyclery...as in give him a call now and ask him questions. He owns the bike shot at the bottom of Baldwin Ave in Paia where the climb starts. He can give you the best information on how to best plan it out and find other riders who may join you. Super nice guy.

They just finished repaving Baldwin ave earlier this year (the first few miles of the climb) so it's all buttery smooth road all the way to the top now. In December, the weather should be decent. Your biggest worry will be rain and wind that can make it very cold up over 5000'. Sea level is usually around the high 60's at sunrise and warms up to mid 70's. Of course as you climb, the temperature drops, but assuming you start riding in the morning, it doesn't drop drastically as the sun moves overhead. So if it's high 60's at sea level at 7 am, expect it to be low 60's up around Makawao at 3500' at 8-9 am. Not uncommon for the areas above 6000' to drop into the 50's...sometimes even lower if there is wind chill.

Use sunscreen...even if it's cold.

It takes about 3 w/kg of steady effort to break 4 hours on a nice day. 95% of the first timers who try to ride for time up the hill underestimate it and go out way too hard and suffer the last 3000'. Which is a real shame because that's the most beautiful part of the ride. So my advice is to enjoy it and throw out time goals. I promise you will not get to the top and think...man...I have so much energy left. If you go easy in the beginning (think Sunday coffee ride effort for the first 3500'), it just means you will be able to ride steady/strong at the end without feeling like your hamstrings and calves are about to seize up. You'll also want to save some energy to enjoy the descent. It's hard to enjoy if everything in your body feels like it's about to cramp. While descending for over an hour straight your arms, shoulders and triceps will be supporting a lot of your weight.

I usually race it with my easy gear as 34/32. And I while I don't spend a ton of time in that gear, I do use it for the short steep sections which is good to keep you out of the red zone. I generally finish around 3:30-3:45. I think most cyclists will use the 34/32 gear for at least 50% of the ride if they have that option and aren't trying to go all out.
Last edited by: Jason N: Oct 23, 18 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Chris Lieto did it in just under 3 hours and he was riding his tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks a lot guys & gals for all the answers and ideas! Slowtwitchers never disappoint ;-) :-D

I am certainly not going for any time record since it is my first time riding Halaekala. I just want to enjoy the experience end-to-end. I have booked a Tarmac SL4 with West Maui Cycles for 2 days since I will be staying in Kaanapali for the duration of my trip. Basically the plan is to drive to Paia early morning and start by 6:00AM. I think I can make it to the top under 4 hrs if things go well (no flats, decent, weather, etc.) Most likely I will start downhill fairly quickly without spending too much time at the summit. If all goes well, I'd like to be back at the hotel in Kaanapali by 3PM so that I can spend the rest of the day with wife and kids. Is that too ambitious?

Btw, great tip about giving Donnie from Maui Cyclery a call - I will certainly do that to pick his brain on logistics.

Keep the ideas coming - it is very interesting to read everyone's thoughts and experiences on this epic climb!

thanks!
-C
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joelbob, the ride is 71 miles total with 35 miles non-stop climbing with 10K ft of gain (ocean to summit!) - See others' responses on this thread for details. As I mentioned in my other response, I plan to start from Paia at 6AM on either the 24th or 25th of Dec.
Would be great to have some company. Let me know if you're interested in joining.

thanks!
-C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that time of year, sun doesn't rise until 7 am. Civil twilight starts at around 6:35 am. So if you plan to start at 6 am, you're going to be starting off in the dark so bring some lights as once you get past the first quarter mile of Paia town there are minimal street lights and by the time you're 2 miles up the road I don't think there are any street lights at all.

The drive to/from Kaanapali is also a pretty long one. You're talking about a 1 hour drive with minimal traffic...so if you want to start at 6 am, you're looking at a 4 am (or earlier depending on your plumbing requirements) wake up call.

4 hours up with an honest effort. Maybe a bit slower to fill bottles and get through the ranger station. About 70-80 minutes down. That's honestly how long it takes to drive down...by bike is about the same unless you go crazy. That should have you back to the car by noon if you start at 6.

You're probably going to be starving by then. May as well grab some food from some of the local restaurants in Paia. Paia Fish Market is my favorite spot there. Should still be able to get back by 3 pm, but I imagine you're going to want to go straight for a nap if you did wake up around 4 am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One time I started before sunrise. WAY before sunrise.
The plan was to ride to the summit and meet my wife at the top just as daylight arrived.
It was truly my most magical attempt.
I had very little traffic from Paia to Haleakala highway (377) and the dark skies provided an insane view of the Milky Way.
There was quite a bit of traffic once I turned on to 378, but still reasonable.
I turned off my front light and just enjoyed the stars.

So if you want extra time to get back to the family, it's not a bad idea.
One downside.. the store at Kula is closed, so you'll need two full bottles and a third in your jersey to get you to the bathroom water fountain after the park gates.

And as others said, Kaanapali is a LONG drive to Paia start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the other responses have really covered this subject well. I will add more accolades for Donnie at Maui Cyclery. I did a fully supported ride with him in 2003 (winery area) and came back and did Haleakala in 2007. Donnie rode with me to the park entrance at 7,000 feet an I did the rest by myself. Be prepared with clothing - on the way down, I experienced cold rain, maybe a little bit of hail, mixed with intermittent sunshine at the upper elevations. Once I got below Kula, the weather was fine. And this was in June! Definitely a bucket list item - good luck and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
~4hr up, ~1hr15 down

It took me a little over five hours, but I'm not a great cyclist. At the time, my FTP was around 200 and I weighed about 165 pounds. Even if you're fast, it's a slow-motion ascent.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another big thumbs-up for Donnie at the shop in Paia. He's a good Cajun boy who ended up in paradise. He puts on a midsummer race up Haleakala that I did about five years ago.

I also rented a nice road bike from West Maui Cycles, which is a great option if you're on that side of the island. Do the West Maui loop while you're there, at least the coastal parts of it -- the two-lane section around the NW of the island is the most beautiful ride I've ever done -- much more scenic than Haleakala.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
Do the West Maui loop while you're there, at least the coastal parts of it -- the two-lane section around the NW of the island is the most beautiful ride I've ever done -- much more scenic than Haleakala.

Also this. If you're still feeling okay after Haleakala, don't even bother with doing the full West Maui loop. Just do an out and back to Waihee/Wailuku (basically turn around where the road opens back up). That's where the best riding is in all of Maui if you ask me...assuming it's not raining. It can get really sketchy due to the ups and downs and narrow roads if it's wet. It's about 6k feet of total gain for an out and back but some of it is negated due to the constant up and down nature. Maybe 55-60 miles total. There are a few banana bread stops where you can refill water, but really you go there to eat the banana bread. The south and southeast portions of the West Maui loop are pretty "bleh" if you ask me. Much higher traffic and not much as much to see. You can ride that northwest section and maybe see one car every 15-20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done it a few times. Got hypothermia on the descent the first time when clouds/rain rolled in to lower elevations - bring plenty of warm clothing! Minimum of rain jacket, arm warmers, knee warmers, hat. It is a beautiful ride, but I actually like the West Maui loop or even the East Maui loop (if you have some larger tires to handle the ridiculous section of road) much better. East Maui for me is a more satisfying ride if you want something epic since you aren't just out and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice--I had a 36/28 as my biggest gear and it was OK but would have liked 30 to enjoy it more. Rode through rain pretty much up to the ranger station (plus 2 punctures). Ended up getting a lift down as the wind and rain were a bit of a joke once off the summit. Happily had sunshine at the top for the obligatory photos. The West Maui loop was beautiful, but a really tough ride in the wind.

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamlo wrote:
I believe Chris Lieto did it in just under 3 hours and he was riding his tri bike.

Studly, but negative points for using his TT bike on Haleakala.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with all above.
Do it, be prepared for hot/wet/bad weather and take the advice of the guys from the bike shop as to whether you should go or come back another day.
I did it in a 1 day mission - flew in from Kauai, rented a car, drove to Maui Cyclery, got a bike, up, down, drive to aiport, hamburger+beers, fly back to Kauai. ~8 hours on Maui all up.
4 hrs up 1hr40 down based on cycling (commuting) ~200k a week.
Vest+armwarmers+2 waterbottles and some powerbar things... wore fingerless gloves but could have done with fingers.
Carry some money for food & drink along the way.
Carry a garmin for the mandatory FB/Strava/whatever posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Via Waipoli and Skyline. Units are in kms. It's about 10% shorter than the regular climb... so it's extra steep! I think it could be done on a road bike... I'm going to try!
Quote Reply

Prev Next