Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling shoe w/large toe box
Quote | Reply
My wife keeps complaining about her cycling shoes. She has really old pair (2007ish) of Specialized S-Works Road shoes that she keeps going back to.

2 years ago i bought her new pair of Specialized S-Works and she said the toe box was too tight. $400 down the toilet.
This year bought her Giro Factress Techlace Shoe and she said toe box was too tight. $350 down the toilet.

Any suggestions for good cycling shoe with big toe box? I need to buy her nice bday gift!!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
David
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe w/large toe box [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bont Shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have not used them for probably 1p years or more, Carnacs always had a big box for those clown feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the problem is not the toe box being too tight.
I have worn several generations of S-Works and they have a relatively large toe box.
I stopped using them due to the "vise grip" heel cup which dug into my ankles, now I am happy with Gaerne G-Stilo.
Maybe the shoes are too small in size, or maybe they are too loose (narrow feet?) allowing her foot to push into the front of the shoe.
Does she have particularity wide feet or freakishly large toes?
With some shoes the toes box can flex downwards which also causes it to feel too tight.
Recommend that you have her try on the shoes before buying or make sure you can return them.

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of lake middle of the road mountain bike shoes in a wide size and like them so much I use them on my road bike too now. my feet are kind of screwed up and I really needed a wide shoe and they are the only ones in the closet that I can use for long rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake
if you get some of the heat molded shoes there is a carbon tub your foot sits in. You can push it in for narrow heels and out for bunions etc.

Their wides and extra wides are among the widest in the industry in those respective widths

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 28, 20 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like many others, I love Lake for this reason. But just be aware that they have many different lasts for their shoes so the one you want may not be wide enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano do a wide sizing but as mentioned earlier Bont is also another good option.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe w/large toe box [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The have three lasts, to be exact. Differences in construction and materials can make two different models built on the same last feel different. All lasts/models come in Standard and Wide. Lake uses the letter "X" to denote Wide (instead of "W", not to be confused with "Womens")

Sport last: Nylon sole, no half sizes, microfiber upper. Includes the Winter shoes.

Competition last: foundation of the line, the most generous cut. One model is leather, the other is microfiber (for budget, or vegan option)

Race last: Slimmest cut, these models will also feature moldable heel or fully modable sole. Kangaroo leather.

Always use the Size Guide and measure feet first. Do not order your size accoridng to the brand you are currently wearing. Ingnore US Sizing numbers. Find your length/width on the chart and order by the EU number.
The type of last may dictate going to a Wide in one last where you only need a Standard in another. For example I'm a Standard in the Competition Last but need a Wide in the Race last.

If you have any bunions, consider the CX241

Also, if you love a Lake shoe that is a "Road" shoe, "CX", you can get the same fit in an "MX" mtb shoe. So, CX332 = MX332 but mtb has lugs etc.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:
My wife keeps complaining about her cycling shoes. She has really old pair (2007ish) of Specialized S-Works Road shoes that she keeps going back to.

2 years ago i bought her new pair of Specialized S-Works and she said the toe box was too tight. $400 down the toilet.
This year bought her Giro Factress Techlace Shoe and she said toe box was too tight. $350 down the toilet.

Any suggestions for good cycling shoe with big toe box? I need to buy her nice bday gift!!!!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
David

The latest (v7) S-works have a larger toes box than the previous versions. I had 2012 model before and I'd say they were fractionally larger than those. I'm in wide shoes for running, but am fine in the S-works 7s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning. I have wide forefoot ( EEE). I have always struggled to find wide bike and run shoes. For me I have found the best cycling shoe fit with Sidi Mega. Truly a wide forefoot, yet maintaining a fairly narrow heel fit.
Unfortunately I have messed them up when I crashed my P3 on a training ride on May 25. Along with my collarbone. But this is another story.
Gird
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting the wide version of the s-works shoe? I have a wide foot and they are they best I have been able to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake seem to be way ahead on variation of fit.
I've just tried a few pairs and will be buying a pair of CX238 wide in a couple of weeks when my size are back in stock.
I have VERY wide, high volume feet, with and rather square toe outline. The Lake CX wide fit last apoears to be an actual, legitimate wide shoe, as opposed to a tiny bit less narrow.
Nice leather too.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe w/large toe box [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlh212

By any chance have you tried any Sidi Mega to compare to the Specialized? When I bought my Sidis five years ago, the Specialized where what I would describe as too “ high volume “ shoe for me. ( bike shop had both in stock ). I will check our local shops and try out the Specialized again.
Gord
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Bont semi custom option. Not full custom as this is $1000+!!!

Most people have one foot wider than the other. Bont semi custom allows you to choose the optimal sizing for each foot. Was great for me as my right foot is substantially wider than the left.

Additional benefit of Bont semi custom is you can design the colours yourself!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe w/large toe box [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Lake seem to be way ahead on variation of fit.
I've just tried a few pairs and will be buying a pair of CX238 wide in a couple of weeks when my size are back in stock.
I have VERY wide, high volume feet, with and rather square toe outline. The Lake CX wide fit last apoears to be an actual, legitimate wide shoe, as opposed to a tiny bit less narrow.
Nice leather too.

+ 1 (or +3 actually: 2 other friends also went to Lake immediately after I did to get a proper wide fit.

As said they do real properly wide fit - not just a bit less narrow.

Key for me is the overall shape - the front end doesn't cut in at an angle anywhere near as much as many other shoes, so they don't chop off my little toe (as with previous reply, my foot is a bit squarer so shoes that are angled in at the outer side and more pointy just don't work.

1st time in years I've been able avoid numb toes.
I got the CX 238. Size 44.5 wide. Not cheap. But well worth the long term investment.
For comparison in run shoes I'm using 44.5 ONs.

Note Lake use several different lasts. So different models have slightly differing widths for the same size.
The CX238 used the 'competition' last which is the widest of the lasts they have.

The great thing is they have both 'normal' and 'wide' fits.

In other brands of bike shoes (even Shimano and Spesh) had to go to a 46, or even on one, 47 (!!) To get my feet in comfortably (I look like Sideshow Bob with such big shoes - but then are compromised as the cleats are not far enough back for me).
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe w/large toe box [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's almost exactly the same as my experience.
I've been using Shimano "wide fit", but still had to go way up in size because of taper at the front. The excessive length puts the cleat too far forward. I can come down at least one EU size with the Lakes.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 29, 20 23:27
Quote Reply