Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling shoe issues
Quote | Reply
Looking for advice. I am trying to switch to new cycling shoes. I bought Specialized Comp MTB shoes(I ride mostly gravel) but am having issues. I have pressure on the head of my fifth metatarsal especially on my right foot. I develop a callus in that location that I have to shave off every couple of months. I have found running shoes that work with little to no discomfort but am not having any luck with cycling shoes. My feet feel like they are rolling to the inside which causes discomfort up my legs into my knees and hips. Is there anyway to shim the inside of my feet so they don’t roll to the inside or does anyone else have any ideas or experience to share that might be able to help me? Thanks I’m advance for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe issues [just du it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear Podiatrist supplied orthotics in my running and normal shoes. My bike fitter recommended the G8 Pro Series 2620 insoles. They are highly customizable and designed for cycling shoes.
If you have pressure on your fifth metatarsal your cycling shoes may be too narrow. Most brands make a wide version of cycling shoes. Note that the width of a "wide" shoe varies between brands, you need to check the specs for the shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe issues [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to add.
If you do need wide biking shoes... most are narrow. Even wide ones are not really wide. Just less narrow. From virtually all makes. And often the wide ones have the same sole, just with a bit more material in the toe box (bit like putting a wider tyre onto the same width rim - the rim is still the same !
Except... Lake. They make wide shoes that are actually wide !! And use wider lasts to make wider shoes rather than just a bit more fabric.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe issues [just du it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized sell insoles with greater arch support (I think the default at +, they also do ++ and +++) as well as forefoot shims that go under the ball of the foot and toes.

I think in their bikefit they also could add a shim beween sole and cleat, but I've never needed that. Sounds like oyu need to talk to the bike fitter in the store.

I run in wide fitting shoes, and have Specialized mtb and road shoes. Actually before that I had shimano that were also farly good. The expert MTB shoes I've got aren't the widest, but the SWorks 7 road are definitely wider than the older ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoe issues [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Just to add.
If you do need wide biking shoes... most are narrow. Even wide ones are not really wide. Just less narrow. From virtually all makes. And often the wide ones have the same sole, just with a bit more material in the toe box (bit like putting a wider tyre onto the same width rim - the rim is still the same !
Except... Lake. They make wide shoes that are actually wide !! And use wider lasts to make wider shoes rather than just a bit more fabric.

Lake cycling shoes are awesome. I have a bunion of my little toe (“bunionette”) and Lake cycling shoes are the only cycling shoes I can use now
Quote Reply