Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Kauai/Maui
Quote | Reply
EDIT—any thoughts on Maui?

Hello-- my wife and I are planning on taking an extended vacation in Kauai this August and September and were planning on using the time to also train for Kona. I know Kauai had some bad floods last year. Anyone familiar with the area currently?

Also, how are roads near Waimea? Good for cycling? Comfortable shoulders, friendly drivers, paved roads? If so, any specific routes anyone recommends that familiar with the area

Appreciate your help!

PS- dont ask "why not train in Kona for Kona"....cause Kona sucks as an island as soon as you take IM out.
Last edited by: aftermath312: May 1, 19 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauia (specifically Waimea) [aftermath312] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't been there in quite a while but riding a TT bike in Kauai does not sound like a good idea to me.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean Kauai? If so, then be prepared for some of the worst riding on the islands. There is literally one narrow road that goes most the way around the island, virtually no shoulder in a lot of places. And since that is the case, it is also a very busy road for locals, and all the tourists that travel there. You best bet is to go out to Poipu and then up the volcano, that would be the least busy I would guess. There is a nice loop towards Hanelai call the the Sleeping Giant loop. It gets you off the main road for a little while.

Best to do more running and OW swimming while there, those are great, easy, and safe. It is a great island for surfing and nature, training for Kona, not so much..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you'll be best served by focusing on running and swimming on that island, not cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftermath312 wrote:
Hello-- my wife and I are planning on taking an extended vacation in Kauia this August and September and were planning on using the time to also train for Kona. I know Kauia had some bad floods last year. Anyone familiar with the area currently?

Also, how are roads near Waimea? Good for cycling? Comfortable shoulders, friendly drivers, paved roads? If so, any specific routes anyone recommends that familiar with the area

Appreciate your help!

PS- dont ask "why not train in Kona for Kona"....cause Kona sucks as an island as soon as you take IM out.

Good god. use google and spell it right.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauia (specifically Waimea) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Do you mean Kauai? If so, then be prepared for some of the worst riding on the islands. There is literally one narrow road that goes most the way around the island, virtually no shoulder in a lot of places. And since that is the case, it is also a very busy road for locals, and all the tourists that travel there. You best bet is to go out to Poipu and then up the volcano, that would be the least busy I would guess. There is a nice loop towards Hanelai call the the Sleeping Giant loop. It gets you off the main road for a little while.

Best to do more running and OW swimming while there, those are great, easy, and safe. It is a great island for surfing and nature, training for Kona, not so much..

I've been to Kauai many times with my bike. The safest stretch is from Kalaheo on west - the shoulder is pretty wide all the way to the end of the road (the turnoff on the dirt road to Polihale). You can also ride up Waimea Canyon if you go from Kekaha (i.e., don't take the earlier road in Waimea - there's no shoulder on that one and a lot of blind rollers).

But yeah, swimming and running are way better ways to spend your time on Kauai. The powerlines run from above Wailua over to Princeville is fun as long as you have a ride waiting for you in Princeville to take you to Anini afterwards to get hosed down (the trail is often quite muddy).

That being said, the Epic5 day on Kauai has you going all the way from Hanalei to the road to Polihale, and people lived to tell the tale. Of course, each rider has a support van.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [aftermath312] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go to Maui. It's the best of the islands to train on.

Ideally a road bike is better, but I've taken my TT to Maui and had a blast too. Might want to put on a compact crank or get a big granny gear.. some nasty steeps on Maui.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mahalo.

If you do Maui, climb up Haleakalā. idk anything else about Maui, never was a fan.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd consider mtn bike for Kauai rather than road -- make an adventure of your trip. Road bike on the west side possibly as someone else noted, but that would be about it. Don't think I'd want to ride Waimea canyon unless it was closed to vehicle traffic. You could drive it first and decide for yourself...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'd ride it either. People on that road are tourists looking at the scenery, and it's super curvy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Kauai three times - stayed in the Princeville area twice and in Poipu this past summer. Poipu and the roads around there would be much better for biking - it's off the main road that goes mostly around the island. You could do lots of loops or out and backs to get some mileage in. There is also some cool running on cliff trails in Poipu that I'd recommend - really cool along the ocean with Nene birds and other birds.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui is one of my favorite places to bike. Haleakala is cool, but it is not the highlight of the island, in my opinion. West Maui loop is phenomenal. East Maui loop (whole thing including the nasty road section) is what you find when you look up "epic ride" (but you want big tires for sure).

BTW, I used to diss the big island after going for Kona, but i grew a new appreciation for it after going back. Here's the deal, Maui is great for biking but bad for trail running. Kauai is amazing for trail running, but is a non starter for biking. Big island is the total package, some great rides, amazing trail runs, and interesting adventure swims.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [BigScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a week riding in Maui a few years ago, loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftermath312 wrote:

You be trippin'

Kona is not the name of the island.
Tons of bike route combos.

Base out of Waikaloa:

Waikaloa to Hawi to Kohala Ridge to Waimea back down to Waikaloa. or reverse

Waikaloa Road up to Saddle Road to Mauna Kea.

South towards Kona IM route.

Base out of Kona:

North on IM route with variations linked to previously mentioned.

South out of Kona Bypass Road down to Kealakekua Bay return on Belt Road.

South out of Kona as far as you want, return.

Base in South Kona:

North on the highway towards Kona town with options to drop down to Ho'okena or Kealakekua.

Head South down to wards the HOVE. South Point Road = amazing. Narrowest shoulders but not bad traffic.

Wrap around eastward and drop to sea level at Whitington Beach Park.

Park at Whittington and climb towards Volcano and climb to 4000' over 30 miles, return.
Park at Whitington and climb to Pahala and return on the high road back to Punaluu Bakery in Na'alehu and dive bomb back to sea.

Base in Hilo:

Climb south up to Volcano and up Mauna Loa road. Climb Up saddle road from east side. Head north along coast.

I just listed several hundred miles of good roads, well most the roads on the island.

Be ready for lots of vert.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh and the 120 mile Kona Coast has clearest water in the islands due to very little rain run off...

http://www.hiloagent.com/mileage.htm
Last edited by: JYoung: May 6, 19 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftermath312 wrote:

Indeed!! Stay far away, please thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The roads in Kauai are too narrow for comfort for me, especially on the north side.

The West Maui loop, and especially the northwest-to-north part of it, is probably the most beautiful place I have ever ridden. Haleakala is an interesting challenge, and worth doing once, but you'll miss the scenery because of the effort.

West Maui I could ride daily for the rest of my life.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:

ive ridden a bit on all them except for Oahu
West Maui Loop was my favourite by far. It wasnt even close. And we stayed in Napili so I just went down to Wahiee and back every day. It was perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
The roads in Kauai are too narrow for comfort for me, especially on the north side.

The West Maui loop, and especially the northwest-to-north part of it, is probably the most beautiful place I have ever ridden. Haleakala is an interesting challenge, and worth doing once, but you'll miss the scenery because of the effort.

I agree about the west loop on Maui. A few years back, we were in Maui for two weeks. I rode that loop every other day (clockwise one day, and then counter clockwise another day). I never tired of it. Its got some steep climbing, and narrow roads, but the scenery is incredible and its just way too much fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftermath312 wrote:

Ummm as was mentioned Kona is not an island.

Go to Kauai and relax for a few days. Go to Maui for a few days, do a little training. Then go home. Don't really want you on "Kona" anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Kauai to train for IM a couple of times. I much referred it to Maui or the Big Island.

Exceptionally scenic long rides from Kapaa/Wailua to the road end past Hanalei or toward Waimea. A long slow run along the Na Pali Coast trail.

Absolutely perfect.

At least it was over a quarter of a century ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Kauai/Maui [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a little more recent data from Kauai... I would say it pretty well sucked for road riding 2004-2006. Beautiful, but dangerous. One main road, lots of traffic distracted or in a hurry, and the shoulder (if there was one) always covered with debris (the road crews would only shove it that far).

I think the safest spot was along the SW side Hanapepe to Kekaha, and the climbs up to Waimea Park. Unfortunately I didn't live near there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll put a vote in for Napil Bay on Maui. We stay at Napili Kai annually to enjoy OWS in the bay and great cycling up and around the west end of the island. Plus the wife and kids are safe, sound and content enjoying the beauty that is Napili beach.

Where to stay:
https://www.napilikai.com
http://www.napilishores.com/

What to do:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14005267
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17092177
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1459911152

Scott
Quote Reply