Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Avon, NC
Quote | Reply
Going on vacation to Avon, NC in a couple weeks. Any good cycling around there? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Avon, NC [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Windy as hell and only 1 road. Highway 12 which is the 2 lane "highway". But it has a wide shoulder. But there's nothing else you can really do around there. Ride up to Nags Head and then into Manteo.

But probaly best bet would be to go South and ride to the ferry in Hatteras.

It's truly an barrier island at times no more than 1-2mi wide.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Avon, NC [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived there and loved the training cus it was always windy and I've secretly always felt a good headwind is the strongest mental strength part of a workout. So you'll get plenty of that there.

It just really doesn't have anything else besides Highway 12. And if any storms come through, you'll easily get ocean over run onto the roads.

I've lived there 10 years ago, even got stuck on the island when it got breached and broken in 3 different locations between Hatteras, Buxton (where the lighthouse is) and Avon.

Shoulder is really wide, I never felt unsafe even on 55mph roads. But there's really no other options, small community neighborhoods but that's it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Avon, NC [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A wide shoulder and flat roads works well enough for me, especially for vaca type cycling. No heavy training going down that week. I'm just looking for some nice views and exercise. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the ferry to Ocracoke...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous- was just in Avon for a week and did lots of riding. IMO the best ride is to simply head south to the tip of Hatteras and back, around ~ 36mile round trip from Avon. You can of course also go north up to Pea Island, but I would not go further than that ( after Pea Island area the road can be narrow bc of the drifting sand) or try to cross the bridge. I love this kind of riding- windy, hot, occasional 30mph tailwinds. Drivers are generally courteous but just expect there to be trucks, etc moving by fast- put your rear blinky light on and get out early to beat the heat and traffic.

Couple of tips to enhance your trip:

Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton- bring the family back some 'Apple Uglies' and you will be the hero.
Pop's in Buxton- dive bar but some of the best food on the island. Think cold buds and freshly caught grouper sandwiches.
Pangea Tavern in Avon- get there early for happy hour, nice draft/craft list.
Real Watersports- a kiteboarding resort in Waves, they have a restaurant cafe overlooking the sound that serves some of the best/healthier food on the island. Awesome place to sit outside with a beer, some tuna bites and watch the kiteboarders rip around. Also a coffee bar, smoothies etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Avon, NC [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man! Thanks for all the tips. That's great stuff! We are looking forward to it. We go every year to OBX but opted for Disney instead this year then just decided on a whim to see if there was something available and we got a nice deal in Avon.

I'm an early riser and if I'm going to get in a bike ride, I have to do it before the kids and family get up, so I expect I'll be on the ride around 530am. I'm guessing not much traffic around there at that time of day.

Thanks again for the tips. Nothing beats OBX for a great family vacation in the summer!
Quote Reply