Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit?
Quote | Reply
The title says it all.

Back in January I developed a nasty toe injury and was hobbled for about a month. I was in a boot and did nothing on the bike or running. During that time I had some orthotics made by a Doc that I had hoped would help solve the cause. One of his comments was that I have a "freakishly high arch". It sort of worked but late last week it came back.

My issue is that I need a high volume shoe with a wide toe box to fit the orthotic and remove pressure from the joint of my big toe.. I've been running in Altras for about 4 years and love the fit.

Bont looks like it has the right shape. Is that the only one?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my experience yes, bonts are the only ones that fit my boats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a long time Altra runner because of my wider feet. Cycling shoes have always been difficult for me. Often wide sizes are not really available. And many "wides" are not really wide. For example SIDI. Giro sells a high volume shoe which is not really wide.

I've been quite happy with Shimano's wide shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bont "wide" is pretty much your only option unless you go custom.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Bont "wide" is pretty much your only option unless you go custom.

I might even try some sort of customization by melding an old Altra upper to an old pair of cycling shoes.

I've been suffering in my basement on the Kickr for 12 weeks working towards a race that is 4 weeks out. Now I have to skip it.

I need to find a solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
The title says it all.

Back in January I developed a nasty toe injury and was hobbled for about a month. I was in a boot and did nothing on the bike or running. During that time I had some orthotics made by a Doc that I had hoped would help solve the cause. One of his comments was that I have a "freakishly high arch". It sort of worked but late last week it came back.

My issue is that I need a high volume shoe with a wide toe box to fit the orthotic and remove pressure from the joint of my big toe.. I've been running in Altras for about 4 years and love the fit.

Bont looks like it has the right shape. Is that the only one?

I just about gave up on cycling over this - I have been in the sport for roughly 15 years starting at the age of 14. As I grew I developed Morton Neuroma's in both feet and somehow during my mid 20's my feet got wide. I could not to save my life find a shoe that worked for me, I tried (Lake, Bont, North Wave, Sidi and another brand I cant remember).

The bonts I however did not try in wide as I was discovering that my feet were wider than I thought so I think they may have work. HOWEVER the Shimano wides are a life saver to me and work perfectly - I highly recommend you give them a try. For the record I ran in Altra's for 2 of my Ironmans so we may have similar issues. I have since moved to some Hoka's and have had great luck with them so far.
Last edited by: teddygram: May 11, 18 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been pretty much BEGGING Golden and Brian to make Altra bike shoes for several years...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
I've been pretty much BEGGING Golden and Brian to make Altra bike shoes for several years...

I'm tempted to try out the Catalyst pedal (platform) with Altra Escalate while I wait for this to resolve itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A wide/roomy toe box is not the same as a "wide" shoe. I had similar issues. Bonts are the only shoes that work for me. Their shoes come in narrow, standard, and wide widths, but all of their shoes have a roomy toe box. Use the fit guide to ensure you get the correct sizing. I found that my left is a standard width, while my right foot is a wide width. You can order directly from their website and for $30 extra, you can get one shoe in size and the other shoe in a different size. They do take several weeks to arrive, but I highly recommend them.
- Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bpe wrote:
A wide/roomy toe box is not the same as a "wide" shoe. I had similar issues. Bonts are the only shoes that work for me. Their shoes come in narrow, standard, and wide widths, but all of their shoes have a roomy toe box. Use the fit guide to ensure you get the correct sizing. I found that my left is a standard width, while my right foot is a wide width. You can order directly from their website and for $30 extra, you can get one shoe in size and the other shoe in a different size. They do take several weeks to arrive, but I highly recommend them.
- Brian

Brian,
Where are they shipped from when you order direct? What if there is a sizing issue and you need to return, etc?

Oddly, in the several stock pairs of Bont's I tried, I never found the toe box to be very high in volume, especially after adding a 'normal' insole to replace the paper thin one that usually comes with them...

To the OP, I've been pretty happy with Shimano's, they seem wider than most. Though the newer TR9 has a lower volume toe box than my older TR-60's... :(
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are shipped from Australia. I know their full custom shoes are non-returnable. Getting just a different size for each foot may be different, but I would check with them first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been in Altra’s since the beginning, also have EE feet (with a Morton’s Neutoma on the right) 100% of my training (road & mb) & both my IM’s were in Sidi Megas.

Whatever shoe you go with, the other equipment you choose also makes a difference. Go with a pedal with as much surface area as possible, & slam those cleats all the way back

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up guys, Bonts do not have a natural toe box like Alturas. I have multiple pairs of both brands between my wife and I.

Bonts have a medial to right of centre angle-in by the bigs toe. Have a look at some top view photos and you'll see this. It's quite pronounced.

However, for other reasons, Bonts work well for me. I have to size up 2 sizes so that my big toe can happily be straighter than other shoes.

I use a 1/2 length insert (no forefoot) to good effect. I just cut his myself making sure to taper the cut so the transition to the shoe insert is smooth.

Bont used to, and probably still do custom, so I'd suggest this if your keen on Bonts. They are a great shoe.

Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [jasonmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've worn Altras for years. The closest bike shoe with a Altra fit I've used has been Lakes in wide width. Never tried Bonts.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another strong vote for Lakes
- they have a better range of price points compared to Bont
- they are not as 'real foot shape' as Altras but they are less 'center-pointy' than Bonts
- pretty wide forefoot even in regular size - great for narrow heel and proportionally wide forefoot

My only gripe from a 'natural running' type perspective is that the forefoot is rockered/canted at the toes rather than flat - I have given them this feedback and would encourage anyone else interested to do the same. My gut is that a flat forefoot through the toes would be best for neuroma sufferers. I have mild neuroma issues and for me the Lakes are pretty comfortable and 90% along the way to perfection.

Give the shoe companies feedback on what we need!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bont, Lake, and a Swiss brand I can’t remember the name of at the moment 🤔
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
brider wrote:

I'm tempted to try out the Catalyst pedal (platform) with Altra Escalate while I wait for this to resolve itself.

I’ve done exactly this on exactly those pedals. No noticeable negative effect on performance in a 20k TT or a Sprint tri. I’m actually very tempted to go back to that setup for sprints.

One downside: on longer rides I started to feel the pins a bit through the sole of the shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail run in Altras, Road cycle with Lakes. I'd recommend them for you as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
I've worn Altras for years. The closest bike shoe with a Altra fit I've used has been Lakes in wide width. Never tried Bonts.

I would agree.

Also, though, if you need to don't hesitate to size up -- a long shoe will bother you much less than a narrow one.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
apache wrote:

I would agree.

Also, though, if you need to don't hesitate to size up -- a long shoe will bother you much less than a narrow one.

Out of curiosity, do you use the road or Tri shoes? I use the Lake Tri shoes. I like them but I don't love the velcro. I'm considering switching to their road shoes (Even for Tri) but they say they have a narrower midfoot. Also, In a bizzaro situation the Tri shoes are also quite a bit cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [petermnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
petermnyc wrote:
My gut is that a flat forefoot through the toes would be best for neuroma sufferers.

Lintaman Minimal -- https://lintaman.com/...ng-shoe-version-2-0/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease, I just sent you a message
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes With Altra Like Fit? [aketcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotchu ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an Altra exclusive runner, I'll give my vote for Bonts as well. The Hilo model has been my go to for racing for the past four years. The Giro lace ups are ok for training, but can be a little narrow after about 30-40 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lake’s in the double wide are most likely your best option. As said by a few others, if you replace the insole on a Bont shoe you will loose quite some of the volume in the forefoot.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply

Prev Next