Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Rain Jacket Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Did a search on this and the last thread I could find was from 2016 so I thought I'd ask again.
Looking for a fall/spring cycling rain jacket for those ~40 to 65f degree raining days. Prefer one that is a bit breathable and doesn't empty a bank account. Kind of a "Best Bang for the Buck" rain jacket/jersey.

From the 2016 thread I did see this Pearl Izumi Barrier WxB Jacket which is only $55, but it a 2015 model so I'm sure there are much better options and fabrics in 2018.
https://www.amazon.com/...PDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Rain Jacket Recommendations [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never really been happy with any of them to be honest.

You're gonna get wet no matter what going fast on a bike - and the ones that are really waterproof are too heavy or dont breathe very well so you end up getting just as wet from the sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned and used a fantastic waterproof jacket by Showerpass out of Seattle - it is many years old now and still is the best rain jacket I have ever had - hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arc’teryx Norvan SL

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breathable, waterproof, cheap. Pick two. I’m eyeing the Endura Pro SL260 jacket based on reviews- don’t own yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Rain Jacket Recommendations [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bright, day glow yellow or orange.

As someone above said, you'll get wet regardless- even breathable can't keep with how much you sweat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Gore Shakedry products are fantastic. Gore, Castelli, and others make these. They are super light, super breathable, waterproof, but unfortunately, quite pricey.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Sep 28, 18 19:49
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Rain Jacket Recommendations [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best jacket I've ever owned.
Also to add, it's not a coating that keeps it waterproof, so it won't wear off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
The new Gore Shakedry products are fantastic. Gore, Castelli, and others make these. They are super light, super breathable, waterproof, but unfortunately, quite pricey.

+1

Best rain jacket I've ever owned. Just went through 5 hours MTB race where it had been raining throughout. Great jacket, really.

I had own other Gore jackets before but these never matched the bold marketing claims on breathability and so. I actually swore to myself never ever to buy a Gore jacket again. I'm glad I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the idea of them, but getting black or grey for a rain jacket seems risky for rainy winter riding. Then again, I may have taken the visibility thing overboard.
Last edited by: Emma'sDad: Sep 29, 18 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Rain Jacket Recommendations [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/?s=shakedry

whats the diff between the R (run) and C( cycling) versions that would have such a diff in the pricing?
The run has a hood but is cheaper. The Cycling has no hood, but has a longer "tail" for when riding on hoods / drops..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapha Race Cape! It’s expensive, but worth every penny.
Last edited by: AnnRB: Oct 2, 18 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm metric but that is a pretty wide temp range isn't it? Is this on the commuting, casual ride end of things or the fast training/racing side?

For less expensive gear I think pit zips and other mechanical venting give you the best range of temps it'll work at.
Quote Reply