Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Base Building 55 plus
Quote | Reply
Getting back into tri after more than 20 year absence, and would appreciate some insight around building cycling base. I have read about MAF training and the benefits of this approach for aerobic fitness, fuel source, fat burning etc. I am curious how this approach ties with cycling base building and am somewhat confused how to approach. If I follow MAF, I would have a target heart rate of 125, and if follow base building off my FTP of 190 I would target say 133 (70%). Do I put time in not exceeding 125 bpm, or target 133 watts? Stop pedalling when get to 125bpm? Combination of both? Confused about what approach to follow, or would I do a couple hire intensity rides during week, and a more MAF approach for a longer ride on weekend. Ultimately, my objective is to return and do an IM next year. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Base Building 55 plus [wanna_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wanna_tri wrote:
Getting back into tri after more than 20 year absence ...... If I follow MAF, I would have a target heart rate of 125, and if follow base building off my FTP of 190 I would target say 133 (70%). Do I put time in not exceeding 125 bpm, or target 133 watts?

Just get out the door and go ride. Don't worry about anything for that first 4-6 weeks. If you've been off the bike or haven't been training it's much, much, much more important to get something in and be consistent than it is to follow any plan/method/target.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Base Building 55 plus [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Brian, that provides a starting point. I just wanted some direction on where to begin, rather than aimlessly wandering around not getting much return for the time invested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The less fit one is the more they can aimlessly wander and see roi.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get some time on your legs, ride hills on some days, pick up the pace on others, take it easy sometimes. Go longer once a week.

There is not a lot of science behind those maf numbers, just ride by feel for a while
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Friel has a book. Fast after 50. Maybe have a read of that.

If you have been inactive for 20 years, just do some, swimming, biking and running for a while.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Base Building 55 plus [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the last few comments... just do something each day. I’m attempting to come back from 2-3 years away; and I’ll spent the first 4-6 weeks basically just exercising. I can’t swim currently no pool, but I can bike more frequently than run without as much risk of injury. With that being said it’ll get boring or monotonous but I feel the “crawl before I walk “ saying applies after a long break. I may/will do a few efforts on bike but will be cautious about any significant efforts running for several weeks. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
65 here and really enjoying the cycling except:

Could no longer get as low and aero as I once could. Too much hip flexor impingement for me. Then bought a bike with a more comfortable geometry. A bike fit could help.

When I hit the hills hard, it's great for my FTP yet it's hard on those hip flexors once again. One can over do the hard stuff.

Doing a long ride as a smooth and soothe ride is a good idea. When I went from 2 hours to 3+ hours, it was noticeable.

Lots of guys over 60 are riding around. Enjoy!

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go ride consistently and don't sweat the numbers......your starting numbers will change in 6 weeks and you can start really training from there.

I had a few IM's under my belt, took a year off and then started back up. I didn't even think about training numbers until about 6 weeks of just riding because I knew in the fist 6 weeks they were going to change so much because I was untrained. Enjoy the rides while you can......when the training really starts it becomes work.
Quote Reply