Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling/running in Hawaii
Quote | Reply
Was not sure if this was appropriate for here or the Lavender Room?!?! So please move it if I posted to the wrong place.

Anyone who lives in Hawaii on here???

There's a possibility I may need to go to Maui for two weeks in January to deal with business related issues.

I know a lot can change between now and then so I am curious about the current situation. I've been told people are being really good about wearing their masks everywhere. My assumption was this is just indoors but I am hearing its very common out in the open air as well. Are people wearing masks when they are riding or running as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/running in Hawaii [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have to wear a mask while exercising. I know that for sure.

It seems you have to wear a mask even while at the beach, but not in the water or doing something "sporty".
That's where the regulations and enforcement get rather vague.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are just fine for training. Masks need to be worn inside, and outside when within 6ft of another person. So if you go running in a crowded place then you will need a mask, and put it on whenever you are close. As for me, I am mostly running where there are no other people, and if I see one I cross to the other side of the road. I wear no mask while biking as there are no other people ever within 6ft. At restaurants, you wear your mask while walking to your table and take it off while at your table. The tables themselves are well spaced apart.

Make sure you do a rapid test before flying. The people who have had issues arriving in Hawaii are those people who had not paid attention to what they need to do (i.e. they don't use the correct testing facility, they don't have their results before flying, or they wing it and hope for the best, only to be turned away).

If you have an AFC near you, use them for your COVID test https://www.afcurgentcare.com/locations/. You get a result within 20 mins.
Avoid Quest Diagnostics - you will probably not get your results in time to fly - and therefore be turned away or forced into 14 day quarantine.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/running in Hawaii [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob sums it up well. I am in Hilo on the windward side of Hawai`i Island and things are almost identical here. An overwhelming majority of people comply with the rules, so have a mask handy if you’ll be within six foot of someone else while exercising.

Fortunately, mask guidelines were recently made uniform across the islands, which helps.
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...statewide-mask-rule/

I ran along our bay front path this morning. After that, I saw a couple of individual and groups of cyclists while driving. Around 1 in 10 runners wear a mask at all times. No cyclists were wearing them.

Like Rob said, you must get a test from an approved vendor 72 hours before you travel and fill out an online form to avoid a 14-day quarantine. There is a dedicated website with more information. https://hawaiicovid19.com/

Safe travels and enjoy your time here.

Aloha!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/running in Hawaii [odds_and_ends] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just took test with family this morning for our flight to Kona on Tuesday. Critical timing issue now that they changed rules . Now even if you take test you need to have negative result before you get on plane , if you don’t you might get result s day or two later but still need to 2 week quarantine.

My place is pretty quiet so I should be good once get there .
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling/running in Hawaii [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I just took test with family this morning for our flight to Kona on Tuesday. Critical timing issue now that they changed rules . Now even if you take test you need to have negative result before you get on plane , if you don’t you might get result s day or two later but still need to 2 week quarantine.

My place is pretty quiet so I should be good once get there .

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The closest testing facility (on the Hawaii approved list) is a CVS pharmacy. Two weeks ago, I had to do the COVID test and used CVS. Many people were getting their results back within 48 hours. I took my test on Sunday morning and did not have the results back until Thursday afternoon, and this would be too long for the Hawaii trip. Looks like I will need to find one of these places with the quick diagnostics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah we took test Sunday and are flying today in about 5 hours... no results yet. Looks like 2 week lockdown should be interesting . Staying for a month so I guess it will be worth it. Getting out of Alaska this time of year worth a lot actually lol
Quote Reply