Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach
Quote | Reply
I’m going down to PCB to spectate IMFL, but wanted to do something fun. I thought it would be fun to fly into Atlanta and ride down to PCB, with overnight stops in Fort Benning and 60-70 miles north of PCB. I tried researching the routes to see what wasn’t tremendously dangerous but didn’t find much. Any insight into cycling in and around these areas would be helpful.

(Note: I’m all over the details of how/where/what, just looking for route safety info)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach [NECyclonAPL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! It’s a long and demanding drive. I grew up in Atlanta and vacationed near PCB often as a young adult.

My suggestion would be to reach out to one of the big bicycle tour organizations that prepare bike-friendly maps. Most of the pavement is going to be 2 lanes with high speed traffic and no guarantee of a shoulder and unless something has changed 0 chance of a bike lane.

Maybe one of the touring companies has cobbled together and route that keeps you off the state highways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t be helpful … would typically use Strava and make at least a few bad decisions in the process … but I’m curious what you would do with your bike box and anything else you fly with but don’t take on the bike?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy did this training for RAAM in 2017. I'll pm you his routes. Also agree with Eric on the route creator from Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The plan is to fly into ATL, go to Fedex and change into my cycling stuff. Then, take my small carry-on and put it in my bike box and fedex that forward to PCB for me to pick up. That way, when I get to PCB, I have all of my regular stuff and can pack up my bike to ship back home. Thanks for the recco on Strava route creator, I'll give that a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
Wow! It’s a long and demanding drive. I grew up in Atlanta and vacationed near PCB often as a young adult.

My suggestion would be to reach out to one of the big bicycle tour organizations that prepare bike-friendly maps. Most of the pavement is going to be 2 lanes with high speed traffic and no guarantee of a shoulder and unless something has changed 0 chance of a bike lane.

Maybe one of the touring companies has cobbled together and route that keeps you off the state highways.

Solid recco! I just reached out to a bunch, but also found a few routes in the process that didn't show up in my prior searching. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
My buddy did this training for RAAM in 2017. I'll pm you his routes. Also agree with Eric on the route creator from Strava.

That would be great, thank you! Please send along!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No comment on a route other than what was said about mostly 2 lane roads, no shoulder, and cars going fast.
If your route takes you nearby and you need a Pit-Stop swing by Omaha Brewery. It's about 30 miles south of downtown Columbus on the GA side of the river(closed Mon-Wed).
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling: ATL to Panama City Beach [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
No comment on a route other than what was said about mostly 2 lane roads, no shoulder, and cars going fast.
If your route takes you nearby and you need a Pit-Stop swing by Omaha Brewery. It's about 30 miles south of downtown Columbus on the GA side of the river(closed Mon-Wed).

I think it would be fun to turn this thread into a "places to stop and eat or drink" recommendation thread! Thanks!
Quote Reply