Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr?
Quote | Reply
I have the older powerbeam pro.. Looking for a new trainer..

Which would you get.. DCR says its he's even between the two..
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with either one. I bought the Kickr version 1 and upgraded to Kickr version 2. Wahoo makes a desk for the Kickr to hold a laptop and tablet. I love my Kickr.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you upgrade to the Kickr2? Only minor differences right?

I want the kickr2 but REI is out of stock on them and no where else gets 20% off.. sucks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a bit quieter and the new handle makes it easier to move.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
I have the older powerbeam pro.. Looking for a new trainer..

Which would you get.. DCR says its he's even between the two..

The Hammer is more compatible with future axle standards. I.e., if you think that you might - at some point - end up on a bike with through-axles, the Kickr is quite limited (only supports 140x12mm). The Hammer appears to accept all through axle standards.

I'd never have considered this an issue... until i got a bike with a 15mm through axle.

But the Andean is not alone here. The P5X is also a 15mm through axle bike. And I would be we'll see more of them in the future.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own either, but I will vouch for Cycleops customer service. That is the reason I would buy their products over anything else if it were even.

I don't have any experience with Wahoo's customer service, so it maybe great or crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have an ELEMNT, go Kickr...its just too convenient.

If you don't, Rappstar has a valid point that may, or may not affect you. Outside of that, it is pretty close. Each have pros/cons...I'll have something up on the Hammer this week.

Nice feature with the Hammer that is often not mentioned, when you stop mid ride at a set wattage, or virtual course, it allows you to gradually build up to the wattage you left off at. Imagine doing VO2 intervals at 500 watts, and need to stop quickly then start pedalling from a dead stop at 500 Watts of resistance...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alrite cool.

Just made the purchase.. Found a Hammer for 20% off, no tax and free shipping. Works!

The thru-axle comment made the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the Cycleops Hammer working out for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr? [ffmedck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedck wrote:
How is the Cycleops Hammer working out for you?

Eh... not so good.. I kind of prefer my older Power Beam Pro...

When I use zwift in workout ERG mode... if I can't hold the power because I'm tired or not as focused, it becomes almost impossible to bring it back to ERG mode. For example, if the workout says 250 watts and I drop out cause I can't keep up, trying to start from dead 0 with the resistance set is extremely difficult. I thought

Tony5 mentioned
Quote:

"Nice feature with the Hammer that is often not mentioned, when you stop mid ride at a set wattage, or virtual course, it allows you to gradually build up to the wattage you left off at. Imagine doing VO2 intervals at 500 watts, and need to stop quickly then start pedalling from a dead stop at 500 Watts of resistance... "

However, that simply is not the case that I've experience, or zwift has just programmed it wrong.. I find it 50% of the time I can get back to my ERG workout with some work and sometimes its next to impossible (I might try 3-4 times before I quit the workout).. The wheel pedal is so hard after about 2-3 strokes, I cant even get it to move. I never had this problem on the powerbeam pro (but I did have other problems :) ).
Last edited by: 125mph: Aug 5, 17 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Hammer owner here. I don't have any problems with ERG mode and staying on top of the power target. If I think I won't be able to hack it I'll drop the intensity.

If you pause a ERG workout then initially you might have to throw out some higher power to get back up to speed. That's why I pause during recovery periods should I need to pause for whatever reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycleops Hammer or New Kickr? [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use the mobile app or windows App?
Quote Reply