Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [rowanjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, ideally a 40K TT would be the best test, or 1 hour riding as hard as you possibly can. Either of these would give you a good ballpark for your threshold. But only if you are using a real powermeter. Otherwise you are simply guessing. As I stated in my last post, if you are a relatively fast cyclist, the power will not show correctly on the PowerCal. It is calibrated for an average bike rider.
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see. I don't know where I stand as far as being +/- average (21.2 mph at my last HIM and still had good legs for the run), but if I understand that the actual numbers I'm looking at aren't 100% correct, couldn't I still use this as a way to track improvements and/or regulate efforts on long steady rides by way of comparison? So say this gives me a threshold of 250W, but it is truly and actually 275W if I were using a real power meter; I could still use that data to monitor effort and track improvements in fitness, no? I do understand that this thing is basically useless for interval training (well, that's what the internet told me anyway).

Who wants to sell me their used power meter?

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Last edited by: rowanjones: Oct 11, 12 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [rowanjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course. Athletes were using just heart rate monitors for many years before powermeters came out. You just don't have as exacting of data your training. But it still works.

For many athletes, they do not train to their fullest potential on the bike anyway, so a dedicated regimented training routine using heart rate will still allow them to see large improvements.
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a PowerCal for 4 months. Before I get into my impressions understand where I am coming from. I am a college student who can't afford a true PM but wanted something to more objectively compare my own efforts to those I have done previously.

First thing to note is that this isn't just a HR --> Power calculation. When I jump for a sprint my power hit 1100 to 1200 watts according to PowerCal. There is no more delay in the reading on my Garmin than I get from my speed sensor. Whereas I would simply see my HR start to increase on the HR graph. I've found that similar efforts in training match up very well. If I am in a road race though... all bets are off all the nervous moments send my HR skyrocketing and thus my power. I was nearly hit by a car once, my speed went down by my power hit 1600 watts. Yeah that didn't happen.

I am much better at pacing TT's since I got the device, I can set off from the go hitting targets instead of exploding early when the adrenaline is running and high effort levels feel easy. Did only 1 tri this year, but was able to do some awesomeness for it. I used my CP for estimated combined run and bike time to pace myself on both. Brought my Garmin with me on the run. Rode the 12th fastest split of the day (I'm 52kg so that's an accomplishment in and of itself), and ran 6:38 miles on the 5k afterwards (fastest run off the bike ever). A big part of this was that I held myself back early on both sections being able to see the "power" numbers.

I would never in my life ever compare these numbers to the power #'s of someone else though. According to my powercal I can push 5.3 w/kg for an hour, and 10 for 1 minute. Which is total BS. But I know I can use those numbers each time I'm out putting down my interval efforts. Works for what I need for now... although I'm hankering for a bit more and I'm sure an actual power meter is coming post christmas.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might give it a shot

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: CycleOps' Power Cal : anyone tried? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great for zones once you figure them out (typical power curve relationship I have found, does not apply). Each of my zones is about 30 "watts" on the powercal. Numbers are also complete crap (My actual 5minute power is about 270w, powercal says 305w, FTP about 220 powercall gives me 280). That said I have been able to pace myself very effectively using it.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply

Prev Next