Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that everyone is dancing around the real question here . . . is it okay for them to get the M dot tattoo?
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can have the "M", but not the "dot"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
My problem with this that there are people who shouldn't be allowed in the race because there is no qualifier to do an Ironman.

It is absolutely ridiculous. It's billed as the toughest event on Earth, but you can have people on the starting line that have no clue what they are doing. It makes it dangerous for themselves and for everybody around them.

It's an obvious money-grab by Ironman to not deter any potential customers. But they could easily make up the money by mandating having completed a 70.3 under a certain time before you can do your first Ironman or if you haven't done one in many years. Marketing a "Path to Ironman" with a couple 70.3s and then a full 140.6 would generate a lot of revenue and eliminate a lot of the people who shouldn't be there at all.

If you want to do Ultraman, you have to have done an Ironman in the previous year or something like that. Ironman should mandate at least a 70.3 recently with a time under X (depending on the course). That extra drama could spice things up a bit, too. :)

What would your cutoff be? Would it be the same for 30 year old man as a 80 year old female?

Yes it should be the same, as regardless of your age you have to travel the same distance (140.6) with the same time limits (17 hours). Lots of endurance races have time/distance requirements before you can even try to participate. It doesn't matter if youre a 65 year old woman or 25 year old man, you have to demonstrate you have the ability to safely undergo the distance that you want to sign up for.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: May 14, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
My problem with this that there are people who shouldn't be allowed in the race because there is no qualifier to do an Ironman.

It is absolutely ridiculous. It's billed as the toughest event on Earth, but you can have people on the starting line that have no clue what they are doing. It makes it dangerous for themselves and for everybody around them.

It's an obvious money-grab by Ironman to not deter any potential customers. But they could easily make up the money by mandating having completed a 70.3 under a certain time before you can do your first Ironman or if you haven't done one in many years. Marketing a "Path to Ironman" with a couple 70.3s and then a full 140.6 would generate a lot of revenue and eliminate a lot of the people who shouldn't be there at all.

If you want to do Ultraman, you have to have done an Ironman in the previous year or something like that. Ironman should mandate at least a 70.3 recently with a time under X (depending on the course). That extra drama could spice things up a bit, too. :)

What would your cutoff be? Would it be the same for 30 year old man as a 80 year old female?

They've got all the data. You could easily go through it and figure out who DNF'd Ironmans by crossing the finish line too late or at least finished the swim too late, and then go back and look at their most recent 70.3 times. Let's say they found that people that took too long to finish an Ironman swim nearly always swam the 70.3 in 1.5 hours (I'm just guesstimating times here). Then great - You can't register for Ironman X until you finish a 70.3 swim in under 1.5 hours.

And it could be a huge business. Ironman could sell slots in "qualifier swims" for $100 a pop where you can register for an Ironman after completing just a 2.4 mile swim under a certain time on a course they set up for the weekend at a local lake. Make them races! I would sign up for one. Just get people verified they can swim such a huge distance before you put them in with 2,000 other people and then crashing all over the place on their bikes because they are too exhausted to see straight.

Edit - I just looked at the registration page for our local 5k open water swim and you can't even register until you fulfill this requirement. And there's no bike or run after it. "In order to register for the 5k all participants must show proof they can swim a mile in 35min or less."

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 14, 18 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they should use an asterisk for the dot on the m-dot tattoo after this race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Person should be DQ'd and pulled before leaving T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Just to see example wise.

Oldest men and women at Challenge Roth last year

M70+ Age group.

2 Finishers. Both swam under 1h20

W65+

1 Finisher. Swam 1:21

What I don't want to see over time is the watering down of the event. Cut offs are there for a reason. Everyone knows them before we start. If you have a complete disaster and are outside a cut off, be that swim, bike or run. Then you have to be able to cope with it. It's hard, but you will always come out stronger from failure than success.

You can ALWAYS come back. It's not a once in a lifetime thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still cheating, whether they “self-DQ”, which doesn’t sound like what happened here, or run through the finish, get the finisher pic, medal and hat. Sounds like the typical rationalization of cheaters everywhere “ not cheating, just wanted to experience the feeling etc”. Had a rough 1st loop on the swim = meet reality. I very much a mid/back packer, have had some rough swims. It never entered my mind in any way to think, I will just cut the course.

If I sound harsh, well cheaters are always going to cheat, no real impact on me. But since you asked, nope, not Ok with the cheater mentality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely cheating and should not go past the swim. Should have tried to do that 2nd lap, perhaps it got faster. But no way they keep going after missing a cutoff, and going through the finish line and getting a "finisher" shirt and medal is really bad form too..

I mean you can not care what this person does, but doesn't make it right. Cutoffs are there for a reason, so to skip one is blatant cheating plain and simple...
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [runmini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can’t do an IM swim in 2hrs, with a wetsuit, you shouldn’t be doing IM’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough one. I did my first last year and although I knew I could swim the distance with time in hand, there are more factors in play on the day.

I trained hard for 24 weeks, paid for the race, flights for me and the family, hotels, coach fares etc. If I would have blown the race by an ill-timed cramp or panic attack, I would have been devastated for myself and my family.

If it had happened to me, I would have liked to continue but would not go down the chute or pick up any swag. At least I would have gotten more out of the day and the family would get to see me on the course and not back at the hotel at 8am!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

What was the reason for the inability to finish 2.4 in 2:20, unexpected technical issues or training? If the latter, I'd say don't spend $700 on a race if you can't finish 2.4 in 2:20, which is very very very generous. If the former then I might have some sympathy.

Yeah this.

I'm not anally retentive about this, but cutting a loop because you're going to make the cut-off opens up a can of worms. You had a situation at the worlds in Australia a few years ago where a lot of people "mistakenly" missed a 2nd small loop that was a loop of the main bike course. I'm not sure how many did it, at least 20, none of whom declared it upon dismounting or post race. It was left to the RD to go through the results and look at the anomolies. I think people feigned ignorance, but when your bike computer shows distance that is well short, surely you'd know... It needs to be a black and white rule, no grey area other wise it just becomes a clusterfuck. What if did 1 swim lap, then overtook people on the bike who'd done the correct distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The friend should've stashed some swim fins in the water then ditched them just before the end of the swim. If done correctly this moral conundrum you speak of ceases to exist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I would not be ok with it. Many courses will let you complete the race if you come in after the swim cutoff (IM FLA, Alcatraz), but give you a DNF.

Not to mention if you skip the second loop you may put volunteers and the RD at risk trying to find out if/where you are still in the water, in trouble, etc. I know the timing chip would say you entered T1 but you never know how that's really communicated

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they cut the course and cross the finish line, they are cheating scum pure and simple. If they DNF the swim but continue for a long training day without crossing the finish line, it is a technical foul that is between them and WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Absolutely cheating and should not go past the swim. Should have tried to do that 2nd lap, perhaps it got faster. But no way they keep going after missing a cutoff, and going through the finish line and getting a "finisher" shirt and medal is really bad form too..

I mean you can not care what this person does, but doesn't make it right. Cutoffs are there for a reason, so to skip one is blatant cheating plain and simple...
Absolutely no way anyone should do something like this.

First lap was slow? Grit your teeth and pick up the pace on the second lap! Still miss the 2:20 cutoff (which is very lenient)? Better work some more on your swim before your next IM.

The RD is putting on a race, not a training session.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
The friend should've stashed some swim fins in the water then ditched them just before the end of the swim. If done correctly this moral conundrum you speak of ceases to exist

Finman 2.0

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I normally don't care about stuff like that. You do you...
BUT...
This guy QUIT!
He didn't even try.
When I did my first 70.3, I was limping along (later diagnosed with a stress fracture) but I didn't quit. My time sucked, but I finished.

This guy didn't even try. He just quit.
And for that.... No, what he did was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
self-declared DQ? not cheating, might be other things, but I wouldn't say they are a cheater if they pull themselves out of the results.

waiting for the officials to find out - that's another story.

Does that mean you are OK with getting in the chute and picking up finisher swag?

It means I don't really care about finisher swag. This person paid hundreds of dollars to the race organizers, and potentially in the thousands to get to the race.... if you want a trinket, have a trinket...
And still deserving of an M-dot tattoo as well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are races where it has been explicitly stipulated in the rules ahead of time that:

If someone misses an intermediate bike cut-off on a multi-lap course they will not be allowed to continue riding but may complete the run if they’d like. They are DQd or DNFd, of course.

I don’t know if there are rules in the WTC rule book that address the OP’s situation directly, but I think that in the same way someone can finish what remains of the race and can even cross the line at the end, but they should not collect hardware or ever claim that they finished the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it's still cheating. You either do the full course or you don't. Period!

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had this at a local sprint tri

Got a mechanical on the bike - unable to fix it on the side of the road.

Ended up getting a lift in the back of a truck to t2. Self declared dnf to the marshals. Did the 5k run after just to salvage something from the day even though i skipped half the bike.

I think there is a big moral difference between making the most of a shitty situation and deliberately cheating to make a cutoff...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i have done this in a cyclocross race. broke main bike and pit bike on first 2 laps. asked if i could grab a wheel from my car and keep racing and dq myself at finish. no problem. got the last 30 mins of intensity in, pulled off at the finish, thanked the organizer, all was fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Cutting the course for reasons other than trying to win the race. Is it still cheating? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of my first triathlons i got really bad cramp in my foot and was struggling to swim. A lifeguard pulled me out of the lake and took me back to swim exit. I explained the situation to an official and asked if i could continue the race, he agreed, and i completed it, but was subsequently DQ'd. My conscience is clear, i don't think i cheated, i didn't even officially finish the race.

I did have an opportunity to cheat though, they took me to the swim exit, and i was arriving around the same time as the swim leaders, i could have easily joined them going into T1, and out on the bike, and i don't think anyone would have ever known.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Alright, I'm having an internal debate about this one. Say someone at a recent Ironman race (with a 2 loop swim), had a really bad first loop, came out and realized that they are not going to make cut off if they get back in the water, and they will most likely be pulled out of the race, decides to just go straight to the bike and at least get a chance to do the rest of the course; after all, they have been training for this race for many months. This person knows perfectly well that he will get a DNF because of not doing the 2nd loop (DQ in reality), and he's not aiming for the podium or a PR, he just wants to have a chance at doing the rest of the course.

Would you be OK with this, as long as they bail out of the course before the finishing chute?

What if they decide to go into the chute, take the medal, take the finisher's hat? Does your opinion change?

Note: Person was DQed a few minutes after finishing the race.

Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. Closed course or not?

Closed course - you 'win' the right to be on there by finishing each segment within the cut off, otherwise you can't continue.

Open course. Take your race number and timing chip off and pedal for your life, nothing to stop you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next